X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding EOTDs in the Consist Editor

Since ORTS supports having EOTDs built into a consist file, would it be possible for TSRE to be able to add EOTDs to consists in the program instead of having to add it afterwards?

Please and thank you.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Just curious, but what would be the purpose of that option using the TSRE? AI - Traffic consists can be made with EOT by using the TSRE-CE -- and -- OR has the ability the add and remove EOT devices during the simulation to the players consist. ( as you mentioned ) ... and loose consists in the activity file would have EOT, if so desired.

Maybe I'm missing something? {could very well be } Thanks for your patience, maybe I'm being obtuse.
    Cheers, Gerry
    "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
    Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace​

​

Comment

Frist, it'd save some time setting up the EOTD, as if it's built into the consist file, and if it's the right type, it will be in place and ready to go once you start the simulation.

Second, if it's an activity where you start off moving as many do, the consist would load in with the EOTD attached and ready to go, instead of having to stop to put an EOTD on. And of course, you can't put them on AI trains in-sim, even though some would have them.

In short, loading in a consist allows one to start with an EOTD already attached and ready to go instead of having to attach and set it up, or having to stop a train in a activity, and would apply to both player and AI trains.

Also, no consist editor supports ORTS's EOTD function to my knowledge. You're probably confusing them with the old WAG EOTDs when you mention you can put them on in a consist editor.

Nor is there an automatic way to add EOTDs to a consist to my knowledge, you just have to edit them in manually or place them manually.
      Last edited by SD40-2; 02-28-2024, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SD40-2 View Post
        Nor is there an automatic way to add EOTDs to a consist to my knowledge, you just have to edit them in manually or place them manually.
        Control + F9 brings up the EOT window, which allows the player select from a group of EOT devices to connect to the player train, also it can be armed to provide data to the cab view, if the cabview is set up correctly. Of course, just like in real life, the train has to be stopped to connect or remove the device. I'm using this function and it works nicely. This is probably not fulfilling the definition of automatic.

I dunno know, I'm still not getting it...I'll follow the thread, maybe the small appliance bulb will go on in my head. πŸ™„
        Cheers, Gerry
        It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

​

Comment

Hehe.

When I refer to automatic, I'm referring to the fact that ORTS cannot automatically add an EOTD to applicable trains. It has to be added manually, either via the dialog, or manually adding it to the consist file.

Comment

To contiune,

In the ORTS manual, it details how to add a EOTD to a train. It can be added in-sim via the dialog, or added to the consist file via adding a EOTD Entry to a consist file using a text editor.

It's fromated as follows, taken from the ORTS manual. You add it after the last wagon or engine entry, before you close that section of the consist file.

Code:
            ORTSEot (
                 EOTData ( EOT_OR TrainSimulations_EOT )
                 UiD ( 203 )
            )​
            If it would help, I can provide an example consist with a EOTD added via this way.

However, this can get really tedious, especially if you want different EOTDs per consist, and you have to make sure you get the folder and file names right. Otherwise,OR won't load the EOTD, and you'll have to add it via the dialog box.

What I purpose is that TSRE reads the EOTD Folder in the Trains Folder, and displays all the EOTDs in a list and lets you preview them, much like how it is for normal locomotives and cars.

Then you can add the EOTD of your choice to the consist file, and when you save the consist, it add the EOTD section, with the ETOD of your choice, as shown above, after the last wagon or engine entry.

This would make it so you don't need to add it afterwards, either with a text editor, or in-sim.

Hopefully that clears it up.
            Last edited by SD40-2; 02-28-2024, 04:30 PM.

Comment

The thread that I got the quote from ( my underlining ) may interest you: https://www.trainsim.com/forums/foru...-set-up-method Post# 4

Originally posted by Darkhorse427 View Post
              As far as I have been able to tell you cannot add these to a consist in the TSRE or any other consist editor. you add them to your train in the sim using the Ctrl + F9 key which will bring up the End of train ​menu
              So maybe there is some interest in what you are proposing.
              Cheers, Gerry

​

Comment

I might be able to figure this one out....

Is the *.eot supposed to function as though it were a .wag file in the consist, or is there more to it?

If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
                  Is the *.eot supposed to function as though it were a .wag file in the consist, or is there more to it?
                  Carlo Santucci coded this into OR >>> this thread at Elvas https://www.elvastower.com/forums/in...pic/35912-eot/

He would be the best one to answer any questions.
                  Cheers, Gerry

​

Comment

I might have figured out within TSRE how to read from the ORTS_EOT directory and write EOT's into a consist file....

Code:
                    SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______

Train (
                        TrainCfg ( "EOT_Test.con"
                            Name ( "EOT_Test.con" )
                            Serial ( 1 )
                            MaxVelocity ( 52.75072 0.00130 )
                            NextWagonUID ( 2 )
                            Durability ( 1.00000 )
                            Engine (
                                UiD ( 0 )
                                EngineData ( BLW_E9A_IC_4036 BLW_ZT_E9_IC )
                            )
                            Wagon (
                                WagonData ( Flag NAVS_EOT_Set1 )
                                UiD ( 1 )
                            )
                        )
                    )
                    ​
                    Unfortunately, ORTS promptly ignored it because it wasn't able to find the shapefile...
                    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Unfortunately, ORTS promptly ignored it because it wasn't able to find the shapefile..
                      Could it be how Carlo structured the ORTS_EOT folder? ...how it is coded into OR.
                      Cheers, Gerry

​

Comment

I might have figured out within TSRE how to read from the ORTS_EOT directory and write EOT's into a consist file....

Code:

Train (
                        Name ( "EOT_Test.con" )
                        Serial ( 1 )
                        NextWagonUID ( 2 )
                        Durability ( 1.00000 )
                        Engine (
                        UiD ( 0 )
                        )
                        Wagon (
                        WagonData ( Flag NAVS_EOT_Set1 )
                        UiD ( 1 )
                        )
                        )
                        )
                        ​
                        Unfortunately, ORTS promptly ignored it because it wasn't able to find the shapefile...
                        The entry is formatted correctly, but instead of Wagon and Wagondata, it should be ORTSEot and EOTData. If it's a wagon, it looks in the Trainset folder. If it's ORTSEot, it looks in the ORTS_EOT folder.

So a correctly formated consist would look like this.

Code:

Train (
                        Name ( "EOT_Test.con" )
                        Serial ( 1 )
                        NextWagonUID ( 2 )
                        Durability ( 1.00000 )
                        Engine (
                        UiD ( 0 )
                        )
                        ORTSEot (
                        EOTData  ( Flag NAVS_EOT_Set1 )
                        UiD ( 1 )
                        )
                        )
                        )
                        ​
                        ​

Comment

Yep, I think it was to make it easier for treating the wag files differently, but now with its own unique file type I don't see a reason for some of that. I've asked CS for some clarification over on the Elvas thread you mentioned.

Trying to insert a brand new object type into the consist file has been an eye opener.... it should be easier but it's not.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Comment

Carlo posted a reply at the Elvas thread today at 10:42 AM

​
                            Cheers, Gerry

​

Comment

After tripping on a lot of trees along the way, I may have found a way thru the forest....

Using Erick Cantu's NAVS EOT set, which is loaded in the Trains\ORTS_EOT directory, and TSRE v8.003h, I've been able to write out a Consist file both with and without the EOT's... and I've been able to Open TSRE with said consist, and it shows up correctly.

capture_500474.jpg

In TSRE, you can filter by the name e.g. "BNQ"

capture_500471.jpg

and also by a type "eot"

capture_500472.jpg

In the "bottom row" you'll see a type "O" for the EOT since E and T were already taken...

capture_500473.jpg

In the debug option, you'll see the "eot: true" written out

capture_500477.jpg

In ORTS, it loads the shape and shows what I think is active in the Ctrl-F9 dialog

capture_500476.jpg

Be warned, this is my first foray into the Consist Editor, and boy was that interesting code to dig thru.....

A bunch of consist files got deleted during my testing when it crashed... so.... if you test this.... do so with backups of your TRAINS folder, or test in a throw-away instance....​
                              Last edited by eric; 03-13-2024, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X