Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noted. I also plan to figure out how to reload all of the shapes displayed rather than keeping everything in memory. If I alter a shape or retexture it, I shouldn't have to exit and restart.
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
      Noted. I also plan to figure out how to reload all of the shapes displayed rather than keeping everything in memory. If I alter a shape or retexture it, I shouldn't have to exit and restart.
      This can already be done with the "reload" button that appears at the end of the "Object: stastic" table

Comment

Originally posted by Pecho Lata View Post

This can already be done with the "reload" button that appears at the end of the "Object: stastic" table
        Yes, but this is done one object at a time. I am looking to do all shapes in view.
        If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

A night mode would be extremely helpful. A button down by the reload button to turn night on and off.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by CSRX View Post
            Something that constantly is forgotten with every update to TSRE, is this line

useQuadTree = false

Otherwise, you get this on certain routes if it's not in the settings file, set to true, or has a # at the beginning.

QuadTree must be enabled - set to true - to enjoy all TSRE terrain features.
            If your routes have damaged QuadTree database, then it is a route issue, not TSRE.
            Also, if QT is set to false, TSRE will continue to make damaged routes.

Comment

Originally posted by GokuMK View Post

QuadTree must be enabled - set to true - to enjoy all TSRE terrain features.
              If your routes have damaged QuadTree database, then it is a route issue, not TSRE.
              Also, if QT is set to false, TSRE will continue to make damaged routes.
              Considering the route works just fine in ORTS and there is no issues of it being "Damaged", I find this hard to believe.

I'll stick with having the option of QT being set to false.

I'm not trying to be rude, but the route was perfectly fine in v4 and 5 of TSRE, so somewhere between v5 and 6, something changes with TSRE to have issues with QT. Which is why I like to turn the feature as false.
              Last edited by CSRX; 02-25-2024, 05:10 PM.
              -Shawn K-
              Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Yes, but I'd like to prototype something with it.... the current ORTS forest logic takes in the position (center), qdirection (rotation) and area (width, height) to derive the four corners of the rectangle, which then get populated with random trees.

If the ORTS logic could use defined points instead of deriving it, we might be able to get non-square forests.... a long overdue ask.

And the ruler saves itself as..... points.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Re: Ruler

If you press the "T" key after placing a Ruler - you can create lines and polygons with subsequent clicks.

Regards,
                  Scott
                  <a href=https://www.trainsim.com/forums/filedata/fetch?filedataid=80663&type=full title=thumb_80663.png >thumb_80663.png</a>​ My Blender Models

Comment

Huh. That worked. Interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by CSRX View Post
                      Considering the route works just fine in ORTS and there is no issues of it being "Damaged", I find this hard to believe.
                      Open Rails doesn't use QuadTree. But in MSTS, your route refuse to work properly. Also, OR doesn't edit routes, so it can hide some errors from your eyes. Without QuadTree, many terrain features don't work. And routes with more complex terrain won't work too.
                      Ofc. there is a reason why you can set QT to false. But is shouldn't be set by default for all users.

Comment

Originally posted by GokuMK View Post
                        Open Rails doesn't use QuadTree. But in MSTS, your route refuse to work properly. Also, OR doesn't edit routes, so it can hide some errors from your eyes. Without QuadTree, many terrain features don't work. And routes with more complex terrain won't work too.
                        Ofc. there is a reason why you can set QT to false. But is shouldn't be set by default for all users.
                        As I said, the route had zero issues in v4 and v5 of TSRE, not damaged.

Not damaged still, but shows this issue in v6 and 7 of TSRE.

Weird.

But we will just chalk it up to the route being broken I guess.

Do you perhaps have a solution to fix QT, which I highly doubt is the case here, or are we just going to continue saying it's not a TSRE issue and move on?

​​​​​​
                        -Shawn K-
                        Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Eric, I think of this as a bug but I'll understand if you regard it as a feature request.

It is possible, almost routine, to inadvertently relocate an object w/o knowing you've done it. When the object is road or track it can become a real problem (I've had track shapes go completely under buildings, completely out of sight..

The reason for this is the function to move is integral to the function of selecting.. Had Goku used a floating toolbar (common in 3d modeling tools such as Sketchup) he could have 1 icon inthe toolbar for select, a different icon for move and had he done so the move function would have been a standalone method. The floating toolbar has other utility in that whatever other functions get added (e.g., paint, terrain manipulation) could be used to pop up the paint tools instead of searching the main menu.

But my request here is to fix the unwanted movement problem.
                          Dave Nelson
                          sigpic
                          Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Comment

Is it happening when you're moving the mouse for the screen but forget you've got an object selected? Maybe you can drop a PM with more context and how I can replicate it...

Comment

I was glad to see Eric put the cut/fill data into the settings.txt file and so I experimented a while longer with the parameters. I have found, however, that at least for me, the values Eric suggests for the parameters, top down, 1-2-2-9 provide the best cut & fill. I found that reducing the radius, i.e. 9 to perhaps 7, causes the whole area to sorta flatten out and this is not good.. So for me, I'll use 1-2-2-9 on my routes. I have gone through the Knoxville Division route which will replace my earlier Kdsub. rout but not the one produced by Kenny and removed all of the under track transfer strips and except for my North Montana line, I'll cease using them. I know you can paint or brush the sub-ballast and the result is more even than by using transfers but I don't have a steady enough hand to do well with it. So I'll leave that for those of you that want to flagellate yourselves. As historic interest, there is a high ridge on the north edge of the Conejos Valley in Southern Colorado where members of a particular religious group climb the ridge to a cross at the top and flagellate themselves enroute. You pass right by this spot on the bus returning from Antonito to Chama, and you can see it from the train, making the curve at the top of the whiplash curve if you know where to look.

Jerry Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by landnrailroader View Post
                                I was glad to see Eric put the cut/fill data into the settings.txt file and so I experimented a while longer with the parameters. I have found, however, that at least for me, the values Eric suggests for the parameters, top down, 1-2-2-9 provide the best cut & fill. I found that reducing the radius, i.e. 9 to perhaps 7, causes the whole area to sorta flatten out and this is not good.. So for me, I'll use 1-2-2-9 on my routes. I have gone through the Knoxville Division route which will replace my earlier Kdsub. rout but not the one produced by Kenny and removed all of the under track transfer strips and except for my North Montana line, I'll cease using them. I know you can paint or brush the sub-ballast and the result is more even than by using transfers but I don't have a steady enough hand to do well with it. So I'll leave that for those of you that want to flagellate yourselves. As historic interest, there is a high ridge on the north edge of the Conejos Valley in Southern Colorado where members of a particular religious group climb the ridge to a cross at the top and flagellate themselves enroute. You pass right by this spot on the bus returning from Antonito to Chama, and you can see it from the train, making the curve at the top of the whiplash curve if you know where to look.

Jerry Sullivan
                                Jerry, when you paint the ballast underneath, this is how I do so. It's always a trail and error, but this works best. 25-30 for the size works best for the layered dirt, and 18-23 works great for the ballast, but you can mix and match however you please. Intensity, I typically keep that around 80-90, and it gives a nice blended texture with the terrain, rather than a very abrubt change.

Now, with the texture highlighted, right click near the track, this will bring up a menu that shows "PaintToolTexture", and gives the following options under "auto paint"
                                Selected Object
                                Nearest Object
                                Nearest Track or Road
                                Nearest TDB/RDB Vector

I typically get as close as possible to the track and hit Nearest TDB/RDB vector. This will lay the texture for some good distance, however when you come to switches, youll have to do the same for the main and sidings.

Hope that helps.
                                -Shawn K-
                                Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Working...
                                X