X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TSRE Activity Editor Tutorial

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for the TSRE Activity Editor?

There are quite a few on YouTube. Just enter Tsre5 in the search box. The link below will take you to one of my favorites.

You will have to cut and past the link into the search box. I haven't figured out how to use the link function.

Fred

Comment

The link does work. Just click on it.

Fred

Comment

I have not searched YouTube, but this is the manual I used to learn how to create activities:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Zkmc2wNIU/edit

Comment

Pete Willard put together a manual on TSRE -- has a section for the activity editor -- it's on GitHub
          AsciiDoctor Source code for TSRE documentation, license CC-BY-SA-4.0 - GitHub - pwillard/TSRE5-Document: AsciiDoctor Source code for TSRE documentation, license CC-BY-SA-4.0

In case anyone has trouble with GitHub --- Ive attached a zipped copy of the manual.
          Attached Files
          Cheers, Gerry
          "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
          It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
          Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
          Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Originally posted by adreid View Post
            I have not searched YouTube, but this is the manual I used to learn how to create activities:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Zkmc2wNIU/edit
            Thank you.
            Regards.
            Mateus

Comment

Considering the greater use that ORTS can make of Events compared to MSTS, I would like to figure out how to implement them. In the old MS Activity Editor, they are fairly easy to set up.

Although the TSRE seems to support Events, I don't see any instructions on how to set them. Am I overlooking some instructions?

Comment

have used the "unique" events that ORTS offers in several activities (did use TSRE as the activity editor, however, there is an error that you have to overcome....I have a workaround). Both my Amtrak "Southwest Chiel" activities, used some and I made extensive use in my Pacific Surfliner Activity...(in the Surfliner activity all conductor calls to the engineer are triggered events.)...So the best way to figure this out is, in my opinion, Not in the TSRE but in the ORTS manual...find the section on events...there are several examples which is what I used to figure them out.....

I also add that TSRE doesn't support all the events that are available in ORTS. I had to make use of both an editor like "notepad++" and TSRE to fully implement them in activities...

To find my activities...search using my name...."bleboeuf"

later

Amtrak115

Comment

Amtrak115, thanks for the information. I will follow up on looking at your Activities.

I have been able to manually insert Location Events into Activities as well by getting the location information for the Event by pointing to the location on Track Viewer and putting these numbers (tile, x, y, radius) into a text "template" and then inserting that into the Activity text. Three steps basically. This technique works but it is a bit laborious I was wondering if I had missed the proper way to do it.

I haven't attempted anything beyond location Events yet — pick-up and set-out Events for example.

As an aside, I also have been using Notepad++ for a few years and find it to be an excellent free text editor.

David

Comment

David,

in my SW Chief Activity Segment 5, There are two location events....these were set with TSRE's activity editor..... In the attached image you can see activity editor dialog...

TSRE has a very simple activity editor to use and adding events is well implement. TSRE takes care ot the tile, x, y, radius​ information for you making that fairly easy.

In the surfliner activity, I use a unique to orts event...there I sent a wait point on an AI train path...that wait point will hold an "meeting" train at the point for x number of seconds. When player train his a specific location event, the wait point time delay will be set to 0 letting the AI train to move forward. This allows me to control when meets will take place or set signals the way I want them to appear to the engineer. TSRE allows me to create the trigger event, however the unique aspect of the "resulting" action had to created using Notepad++ and added to the activity file as a specific Openrails addition to the activity file....

anyway....hope this helps you out a little

Barry....aka Amtrak115
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Barry. Perhaps you can take me step by step through this?

My stumbling block is "How do I get the Position entered?" When I click on the "Pick new location" button, the values remain at "0 0 0 0" no matter where I click on the track. So where am I supposed to click to set the Position?

David

Comment

oh....going to tax my memory are you? lol.....Open TSRE and move to where you want the event. click on event manager in the activity editor screen. click on "New Event" and a new event should be listed as an event (make sure you select location if a location event is what you want before clicking "new event".... Hightlight "new Event" by selecting it on the list...Now click on "Pick new location" move the mouse on the 3d screen and when the tall "yellow" line is on the track where you want the event to occur...left click. That should set the position for the event.

Comment

Thank you for taxing you memory, Barry. ☺ That gave me the answer!

It never occurred to me to click "New Event" after I had already selected the "New Location Event". That seemed to have taxed my poor old brain alright!

David

Comment

Working...
                          X