X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks very much Vern and Scott.

Scott yes that would be good, have the same loco's pick up another consist. So i have to manually move the loco's to the other end of the receiving yard clear of the furthest most switch. Then manually back onto one of the consists, in the yard. Then change back to HUMP tag and re-crew as AI. No way of just telling the AI loco's couple to X CONSIST and then sort it into the bowl ?

The other thing i would like to ask. Is there a quicker way to get from the Hump Control position, to the other end of the receiving yard and then back again ? Ctrl+W while a bit faster than walking take an age. Also keys Q and E do not make the avatar move up and down and my keyboard layout is default.

Sitting down and shutting up here boss

Your second post, is asking too much of you and Sean, Scott. I don't wish to take up both of your game time, with my problems, thank you.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Comment

I suppose you could try the "Star Trek" method by space bar clicking the location on the DS screen but that sometimes lands you not exactly where you want to be!
      Vern.

Comment

Yes that is a bit hit and miss Vern. Took me ages to find the hump control position when i first went looking for it. It isn't shown on the F3 disagram, neither is the bowl as far as i know buddy.

I hitched a ride up the receiving yard on the Hump consist, after changing tag to Humpt. Spotted the two SD40-2's so hopped off there and started that consist for sorting.

Mike.
        Yma O Hyd

Comment

Originally posted by haverfordwest View Post
          Thanks very much Vern and Scott.

Scott yes that would be good, have the same loco's pick up another consist. So i have to manually move the loco's to the other end of the receiving yard clear of the furthest most switch. Then manually back onto one of the consists, in the yard. Then change back to HUMP tag and re-crew as AI. No way of just telling the AI loco's couple to X CONSIST and then sort it into the bowl ?

The other thing i would like to ask. Is there a quicker way to get from the Hump Control position, to the other end of the receiving yard and then back again ? Ctrl+W while a bit faster than walking take an age. Also keys Q and E do not make the avatar move up and down and my keyboard layout is default.

Sitting down and shutting up here boss

Your second post, is asking too much of you and Sean, Scott. I don't wish to take up both of your game time, with my problems, thank you.

Mike.
          Mike I call it the Ultralite Mode as I like to move fast above the action. I use Shift+F12 to detach from earth's surface, then while pointing my mouse around hold L-Ctrl-W I seem to move around like a rocket, then if I feel like landing F12 once again.

You can have the AI-Crew find their way to the other end of the Rec, make their stop, sadly you will need to kick them from the units once there, as you'll be required to make your reverse move onto your chosen string, then have the AI-Crew take charge once again with the "Hump" tag reapplied to the lead unit, if it had been removed.

The reason you must do the attaching of cars is if you leave it to the AI-Crew they will see that as an occupied track & hold their position come hell or high water, unless you decide to give them other duties, but always must be a clear path to where ever, Switches against them, occupied track is really the only hiccup with AI for the moment, surely one day they'll be able to attach themselves to rollingstock/lashups etc. Most likely even be able to move forward then make a reverse all on their own with little intervention. But for now, we can get AI moving about but must perform the actual hitching process ourselves. Another note Mike, may help speed thing up travel/duties wise. You're not required to reattach yourself to the ground to while operating switchstands etc. You can keep yourself in the "Ultralite Mode", so that you can move about quickly. You can also highlight the AI-Unit(s) to change instructions/duties etc. without taking charge if you will. Anyways, not to worry it'll become second nature; you'll see. Just hang in there.
          Last edited by SMRY; 09-10-2022, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Hi Scott, excellent buddy i will give that a go, next time i need to go end to end in the yard.

That is fair enough Scott, just wondred buddy. The Hump sorting is quite clever in itself, so can't expect the AI to do everything.

Can the player manually hump the cars. I suppose that would be too difficult, being in the loco at the other end of the consist.

Yes Scott i came across that this morning. Created a 2 loco consist in TM and when i tried to place it near a consist of cars. It told me i couldn't because the track was occupied. Good fun anyway buddy, adds another dimension to Run8. Better than just driving up and down the ML and doing nothing else.

Many thanks Scott.

Mike.
            Yma O Hyd

Comment

Originally posted by SMRY View Post
              Mike I call it the Ultralite Mode as I like to move fast above the action. I use Shift+F12 to detach from earth's surface, then while pointing my mouse around hold L-Ctrl-W I seem to move around like a rocket, then if I feel like landing F12 once again.

You can have the AI-Crew find their way to the other end of the Rec, make their stop, sadly you will need to kick them from the units once there, as you'll be required to make your reverse move onto your chosen string, then have the AI-Crew take charge once again with the "Hump" tag reapplied to the lead unit, if it had been removed.

The reason you must do the attaching of cars is if you leave it to the AI-Crew they will see that as an occupied track & hold their position come hell or high water, unless you decide to give them other duties, but always must be a clear path to where ever, Switches against them, occupied track is really the only hiccup with AI for the moment, surely one day they'll be able to attach themselves to rollingstock/lashups etc. Most likely even be able to move forward then make a reverse all on their own with little intervention. But for now, we can get AI moving about but must perform the actual hitching process ourselves. Another note Mike, may help speed thing up travel/duties wise. You're not required to reattach yourself to the ground to while operating switchstands etc. You can keep yourself in the "Ultralite Mode", so that you can move about quickly. You can also highlight the AI-Unit(s) to change instructions/duties etc. without taking charge if you will. Anyways, not to worry it'll become second nature; you'll see. Just hang in there.
              I'd left off last reply. Mike L-SHift-F8 will activate MP/Industry Tags, which will show up throughout the playing world which will be a guiding hand into what areas are what, a sense of direction which may not always be so clear on the DS panels themselves. Those tags you'll be able to activate/ turnoff at will, & change their colors for easier reading at times, by passing your mouse pointer over the top left of screen label "Sim Options" followed by dropdown "Message Options" & chose your color.

Comment

That will be very helpful thanks Scott. I found it weird the yards not being on the track diagram. As i believe the SoCal yards are on the F3 screens.

Thanks very much for the extra info buddy.

Mike.
                Yma O Hyd

Comment

Shift+F12 works great thanks Scott, plus add E to go vertical. Get around like a rocket as you said buddy.

Does the Hump Controller, know when each bowl siding is full. So it can redirect cars to another siding, or is it not that clever buddy ?

Mike.
                  Yma O Hyd

Comment

Hi Scott, excellent buddy i will give that a go, next time i need to go end to end in the yard.

That is fair enough Scott, just wondred buddy. The Hump sorting is quite clever in itself, so can't expect the AI to do everything.

Can the player manually hump the cars. I suppose that would be too difficult, being in the loco at the other end of the consist.

Yes Scott i came across that this morning. Created a 2 loco consist in TM and when i tried to place it near a consist of cars. It told me i couldn't because the track was occupied. Good fun anyway buddy, adds another dimension to Run8. Better than just driving up and down the ML and doing nothing else.

Many thanks Scott. Mike.
                    Sorry there Mike, looks like this one was coming in while typed the other going out. lol
                    Yes you may operate the hump yourself. You'll have an imaginary engmen at the cab while you pull pins. You'll need to set the speed to walking speed, which is a number under 4mph. I use 3mph. as that's what my former RR employers considered walking speed.
                    To do so: pass your ms pointer over the upper left of screen followed by "Train" dropdown "Slow-Speed-Fixed-MPH" "3.0mph Applied". It can be tricky remembering the combos preforming as "pin-puller". As pin-puller you'll need to open the hump panel choose "Auto-Pin-Puller" will be Enabled green, click to "Disabled red". Now you'll have the ability to operate the cut-lever on each car as it passes over the crest. I would be standing roughly half a car ahead of where the white sign is along the crest platform as the car(s) that are to be cut away pass by, click the knuckle/drawbar panel will open click white label "Open Coupler". For ease, before I begin the hump process I like to close the anglecock on the trailing eng (against car) Bleed the entire string of cars, get myself back to the crest, via the trn, then activate the trn at 3.0mph, clicking each knuckle as they pass by. I do it that way so it's not too fast for me to catch a knuckle should I miss while pointing at them, also haven the air closed off & bled at the eng/car end no fear of the trainline becoming recharged & when they cut away where I'm standing at the crest, the brakes won't come-on as they begin to separate / roll away down the shoot. A lot to take in, we can go slower should it be warranted.

Comment

Shift+F12 works great thanks Scott, plus add E to go vertical. Get around like a rocket as you said buddy.
                      Does the Hump Controller, know when each bowl siding is full. So it can redirect cars to another siding, or is it not that clever buddy ?
                      Mike.
                      Sadly no Mike, you'll need to keep a mental note & watch for tracks that may over flow. When roughly 2/3 car lengths from doing just that overflow, stop your/AI shove jump over to the bowl, unless you feel can clear that overflow before other cars roll into it. At the Outbnd side of bowl, attach eng(s) either move them (Engs/cars) to the forwarding Yd yourself or activate AI, line them a clear path, let them handle that, while you go back activate the AI-Hump-Team once again.

Comment

Thank you Scott, AI seems to put a lot of cars in the far right track in the bowl.

In preference to anywhere else. Oh i didn't realise there was another operation that needed to be monitored, in the Forwarding Yard.

I will be worn out at this rate, hahahahaha. Thanks very much for all your help and advice Scott

I am off to feed the cats and watch a bit of television, 23:06 here.

Cheers,
                        Mike.
                        Yma O Hyd

Comment

Sorry just saw your post before last one buddy. Will have a good read in the morning.

Many thanks.
                          Mike.
                          Yma O Hyd

Comment

Mike, Run8 reminds me of original RR Tycoon, really R8 somewhat like that, lots of micro-management, You may have as many AI operations as you'd like, remembering basic steps, then the hard part comes remembering who's doing what / where / when, & acting fast before catastrophe. MP really is one of the greatest features of Run8, the ability to work together, alongside AI crews with their duties as well. By the time we're done, "Run8-Simulator" will be coursing thru your veins non-stop, while all those other "RR-Games" drain out the "bottom-end". "Don't Forget to Flush & Wipe".

Comment

Sorry just saw your post before last one buddy. Will have a good read in the morning.

Many thanks.
                              Mike.
                              rgr Mike sleep tite.
                              In The morning when your on R8 Duty
                              activate these 2 features:
                              SHift+F8 = MP-Industry-Location Tags
                              L-Ctrl-F8 (click F8 Twice) that will show each cars destination tag.

That last feature will help you get an idea where each car rolling down the shoot is going track wise as well.
                              Those tags intern match what's been setup in the Hump configurator.
                              If you glance at your train being humped, you can get a general idea which track may fill before others, thus, plan to
                              clear that trk at some point during hump operations.

That indeed is lots like the real, thinking many steps ahead, laying plan of attack before execution.
                              All while sticking with "Safety First".

Comment

I just finished my live stream and it should post to my YouTube channel. It's over an hour long but the just of how I do things can be shown in the first 20 minutes. Towards the end of the video I show off my RTS AEI softwear and how I use it to manage Waycross.

It's the first daytime video as it's just past sunrise. Recorded tonight 9/10.

This doesn't bother my game play at all. Someone asked for a tour of the railroad tonight and I declined the request. If there is anything else you need to know let me know and I'll see if it works in to my plans or at least I can keep in mind when I come across something I do normally.

Thanks

Sean
                                Discord https://discord.gg/zfxTBbnu3K
                                YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanMurrellRTS
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X