Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredibly complicated I presume, but this is a wish list and I can wish. But maybe a way for AI trains, with engines on both ends, to flip leaders and switch to a new tag or the tag of the other engine. For example, ML681 --> ML682, or A761 flips cabs at LA Union. While A1 and A3 can just sit there as usual. Or M203 --> M212 in Lancaster. I think doing so would allow for the San Bernardino and Mojave sub to be filled with a lot more life, but probably really complicated. Plus adding more passenger equipment would be nice, but I get they are more freight-oriented. Also, if they ever add the Port of LA, they should use some of the loops by adding "crew change" positions on them, which would have trains sit there for a bit and change the tag from like: S-KCKSCO3-09 -->S-SCOKCK3-10. So that I can still run a good amount of trains, with a good amount of diversity, but not having to micromanage or worry about the terminals in needing to manually change their cabs, or delete them to keep traffic flowing. This is not something needed and probably can be at the bottom of the list, but if they start adding more terminals like Chicago, Miami, Seattle, it is something that should probably be explored.

For scenery and vegetation, I'm fine with most of it, just Sun Village to Tehachapi needs some love. And adding AePEX Energy - Wholesale Propane Supply in Rosamend would be nice for LOP92.

Comment

Good shout Rance. To do Metrolink justice really need the correct train sets modelling, either with the Baby Bullet or the newer F125 (very nice “elsewhere”). Critically though you would have the cab cars for push pull working so all you would need there is a reverse instruction and the AI driver controls from whatever becomes the leading end.
      Vern.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
        Good shout Rance. To do Metrolink justice really need the correct train sets modelling, either with the Baby Bullet or the newer F125 (very nice “elsewhere”). Critically though you would have the cab cars for push pull working so all you would need there is a reverse instruction and the AI driver controls from whatever becomes the leading end.
        I agree with the metrolink request.

As far as advanced instructions, I'd love to see an API so that community tools could interact with the sim. The community could then come up with all kinds of crazy cool stuff - such as full blown timetable instructions for AI commuter trains. A few simple things in the sim would be great, but I wouldn't expect the sim to go into as much depth as would be needed to replicate a morning rush hour metrolink schedule - the API could let someone take that on.

Comment

API sounds amazing, something I'd use. I already have all of the trainsymbolrouting set up for commuters. But I won't really do anything with it cause Union is not prototypical, and mainly, I just don't want to be sitting at Union, flipping the lead and sending them off. So an automatic system for flipping trains would be nice. Or an API that spawns in passenger trains at certain times, and helps Otto in routing them per a timetable (not that they would be on time neccessiarly) would be amazing.
          I think they should have a basic reserve or cab switch at terminals for commuters for those who do not care about implementing a full timetable, so routes don't get filled up at the terminals. If start developing a Chicago-based route, then they need to start pondering it.

Comment

Better models of crew, and for single player mode, a conductor for the SD40's that doesn't just sit and stare at you like a creepy stalker-dude as you spend the next few hours drivin'.
            Avidly simming on the rails:
            Currently operating Run 8 and TSW4

Comment

After buying the Smokebox Big Boy for TSC I must repeat, nay plead, that we need steam support in Run 8. Imagine running from Fresno to Seligman with that magnificent beast! I’m sure R8 Studios could do it and to an equally high standard as well. Might need to update the routes with some steam support infrastructure, coaling towers and water cranes though we could just do as now with the diesels and have the “invisible” coal and water trucks replenish the supply.
              Vern.

Comment

Be fun to be able to walk through it as well. Just like all the other loco's and stock, without collision properties.
                Supposed to be as real as it gets, but lacks even that small detail. R8 needs to move on with modernising the modelling and scenery.
                Yma O Hyd

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
                  After buying the Smokebox Big Boy for TSC I must repeat, nay plead, that we need steam support in Run 8. Imagine running from Fresno to Seligman with that magnificent beast! I’m sure R8 Studios could do it and to an equally high standard as well. Might need to update the routes with some steam support infrastructure, coaling towers and water cranes though we could just do as now with the diesels and have the “invisible” coal and water trucks replenish the supply.
                  I would have thought this was true, but I just watched a video of a successful Model Railroad club in England.
                  The guy being interviewed said their club was growing while others were dying.
                  He attributed that to young people and how they were treated at his club.
                  One interesting piece of information he shared: He said the young people were not interested in steam, they wanted to run the same trains they see in real life.

If we apply this to a business model for a sim like Run8, We could make an argument that they could skip steam altogether. It's been 12 years without steam and at this point the sim has pretty well cemented its identity. Part of that identity is the realism of how the trains drive and handle -this means steam would be far more difficult than slapping a 3D model in the sim, We'd need new controls, new physics, etc. It would be a multi year project that ultimately would not attract that many new people to the sim.

Comment

Originally posted by haverfordwest View Post
                    Be fun to be able to walk through it as well. Just like all the other loco's and stock, without collision properties.
                    Supposed to be as real as it gets, but lacks even that small detail. R8 needs to move on with modernising the modelling and scenery.
                    I agree, this would be nice - I've often felt the raw rendering system is more than adequate, and that just swapping out the existing buildings with slightly better looking ones would go a long way towards updating the look of the sim. We're seeing a bit of this now with the CSX southeast, where Jason Webb worked with jointed rail to acquire all their building assets for use with Run8. The newer routes have had a nicer variety of these and it does help the sim quite a bit - especially the custom "Use once" structures that sit next to so many of the industries on the Fitzgerald sub.

Comment

Lets keep this to talking about your wish for routes not about steam engines please.
                      Work Safe play hard

Comment

Originally posted by westerngy View Post
                        Lets keep this to talking about your wish for routes not about steam engines please.
                        Loco/Rolling Stock wishlist thread…? 😃
                        Vern.

Comment

Feel free to start one
                          If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

This is the Run8 wish list. The routes wish list is a seperate thread.
                            Yma O Hyd

Comment

Originally posted by haverfordwest View Post
                              This is the Run8 wish list. The routes wish list is a seperate thread.
                              Good point Mike!
                              Vern.

Comment

I would agree that the majority of the audience for Run8 is going to be folks wanting to run modern diesels, but 3DTS did build some steam locomotives in the past, particularly the SP cab forwards. It might not be as much of a stretch if they have the model's source code available.
                                If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X