X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run8 routes you would like to see

Lets make this a thread for routes we all would like to see for future release.
    Work Safe play hard

Willard/Bellvue Ohio to Ft Wayne. CSX/NS

Comment

Calgary,AB CP main yard to Vancouver, split into say 3 DLC routes, so you'd get prairie, foothills, mountain valley to coastal plain. Freight, passenger service (Rocky Mountaineer).
      Avidly simming on the rails:
      Currently operating Run 8 and TSW4

Comment

I would love to see them do an Indiana route. Like for example, they could do the Monon route.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaf85 View Post
          Calgary,AB CP main yard to Vancouver, split into say 3 DLC routes, so you'd get prairie, foothills, mountain valley to coastal plain. Freight, passenger service (Rocky Mountaineer).
          It takes about 1.5 years to do a route and that depends on the size of it. I would love to have Calgary to Field for starters and if not then Calgary to Sweetgrass then over Marias to Spokane.
          Work Safe play hard

Comment

What distance limits are reasonable?
            If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

It's not just distance. It's time and resources. The longer the route, the more time it takes obviously. When building a prototypical route, research is key. Not to mention physical attributes of the terrain, track, geography (historical and present day). The route builder does just that...builds the routes, but there are other background characters at play here. You have other model makers modeling something that is true to a route like Tehachapi Loop, or Horseshoe Curve and certain geographical references that cannot be ignored....but have to be modeled. You're gonna need 3rd party contributions and "inside" people to gather info and photographs not to mention getting permission and/or license to use things in a simulator that is sold to a consumer. They'll need signal data, timetables, Locals and their designations and purpose. They'll need USGS survey data for their build engines. Map overlays of Roads, locations such as towns, cities, depots, grade crossings, speed limits, etc. Not to mention grade percentage per mile. The list goes on. Sometimes, often then not, there are many things 'sacrificed" such as the amount of track. A lot of the yards and even hump yards are condensed to save time and space including "eye candy" and other modeled scenery to help not hinder performance.

In my opinion, as an old route builder, 30-70 mile route may take on average 6 months give or take to make and release or at least beta test. That mileage distance alone can be traveled by car in less than 2 hours for research and photo taking. A 120 mile route (depending on location) could take up to a year. I, myself made a route that was 212 miles long and took me 11 months. Totally fictional. So I had complete creative license. If it were real and prototypical....probably would have taken 2 years.....by myself doing all the research and data gathering.

So, one dedicated guy could do a 30-70 mile route in 6-8 months, maybe shorter depending on it's content. Anything longer should be a team effort.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread Dale.

Here’s a few that might be feasible..
                Avery to Drexel on the now closed Milwaukee Road, Little Joe electrics.
                St Louis to Kansas City via Sedalia or River Sub.
                Denver through the Moffat Tunnel towards Grand Junction and the Craig coal branch.
                Corbin to Etowah, think this was CSX.
                New York Central up through the Adirondacks via Malone Junction to Montreal.

Essentially something that gets away from an hour up the hill in Notch 8 followed by an hour downhill in dynamics.

It would also be nice to see something more passenger oriented even transit style if passenger operations could be implemented.

The above all subject to any licensing and research etc.
                Vern.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
                  Thanks for starting this thread Dale.

Here’s a few that might be feasible..
                  Avery to Drexel on the now closed Milwaukee Road, Little Joe electrics.
                  St Louis to Kansas City via Sedalia or River Sub.
                  Denver through the Moffat Tunnel towards Grand Junction and the Craig coal branch.
                  Corbin to Etowah, think this was CSX.
                  New York Central up through the Adirondacks via Malone Junction to Montreal.

Essentially something that gets away from an hour up the hill in Notch 8 followed by an hour downhill in dynamics.

It would also be nice to see something more passenger oriented even transit style if passenger operations could be implemented.

The above all subject to any licensing and research etc.

So, Vern something like the Southeast or Northeast that requires you to make train handling the key component..
                  Work Safe play hard

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post

as mentioned routes in the say 50 mile range can be done quicker and having those shorter routes connect in a region. Then the issue comes in connecting regions together.
                    Work Safe play hard

Comment

Originally posted by westerngy View Post

So, Vern something like the Southeast or Northeast that requires you to make train handling the key component..
                      Correct. Obviously St Louis to Kansas City is a much bigger proposition and would have to be done in several sections similar to the current SoCal network.
                      Vern.

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
                        Run8 routes in a region connect together in the sim to form a larger "mega route" I'm not aware of any limits on how big the region can be - the southwest is currently the largest, with roughly 1200 miles of track when all routes are installed.

Run8 has traditionally been known for its larger routes, but it's most recent few were fairly short by comparison - I think Pittsburg was 75 miles of mainline. And then they offered the "south fork secondary" add on to that which I think was 20 miles of unsignaled territory serving 3 coal mines.

Comment

A potential roadmap:

Random routes here and there don't make much sense for Run8, who's strength is in larger regions with multiple connected routes.

I would like to see them continue to grow the southwest, by completing the work from Fresno north to connect up with Roseville.

I would also like to see them continue to expand east, because I'd eventually like to see this reach Chicago.

Beyond that, I'd like to see Run8 grow it's player base.

We learned a lot from the Microsoft Flight sim interview with Asobo games after FS2020 came out - the #1 location people liked to visit in flight sim was their home.

If we apply this to trains, the route people want most is one they can identify with because it ran near their home.

Using this knowledge, it would make sense to target new regions at those that haven't yet been represented: CN, CPKC are the two we're missing now in North America.

Also to gain maximum benefit, A specific route with the maximum population nearby:
                          So for example, A CP Toronto route would bring in new customers who grew up seeing CP railroads, and focusing on Toronto would make this appealing to a wider audience of CP fans.

The expected outcome of this approach is more Run8 Customers -> more Run8 Staff -> More possibility of the other route requests being fulfilled.

Comment

Needs to go all the way east to have the Transcon in R8.
                            Yma O Hyd

Comment

Biased here, but I would like them to do Metrolink's Valley Sub, Palmdale to LATC. How they have been fixing some of the issues between Acton and Lancaster makes me excited. However, I understand how tedious making routes are, particularly for scenery in urban areas as from setting up terrain to placing everything down took me ~4 hours per mile in Open Rails, but I would be happy with anything in Socal. Also, for Norcal, the Martinez Sub sounds like an amazing idea.

I like the idea of a roadmap, but I understand they like to keep to themselves, and that's fine with me. And I agree, their strength is multiple connected routes and I am very curious about the plans behind Norcal and the Northeast. But it will probably take a while though as route creation is just such a long tedious process.

Comment

Working...
                              X