Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. The mid-west is not in the "loop". CPKC routes would be a good addition as a new region. Also, Canadian routes. Really need those for N. American railroading. I also agree that train simmers like routes that represent something they know or grew up with. Let's say that Run8 builds Bailey Yard in North Platte, Neb. It would be huge, but also an anchor to expand. Pennsylvania is a good example of that. From there, they could expand and connect with the New York region and on to Chicago. So, I would like to see routes in the mid-west; perhaps in Kansas City/St. Louis or near there and expand out. Perhaps start a route in the PNW from Seattle to Minneapolis (Empire Builder) is another "wish".

Comment

If the concept is to build small chunks and knit them together, then Chicago seems like a no-brainer.

Just every railroad represented has a presence in Chicago. 50 to 100 miles gets you to Milwaukee, the steel mills in northern Indiana, auto plants, and some huge yards between the present day UP, CSX, CN, CP, NS and BNSF.

Rolling stock and locomotive-wise, nothing really missing except for Metra passenger equipment which runs on most of these lines. Build an F40PH, a gallery and cab car, and you're pretty well covered.

The problem then becomes urban scenery. It takes 10 times the effort to build out an urban landscape than it does a desert or rural country landscape, which is probably why after 20 plus years you don't see Chicago, New York, etc. included in any of the other commercial sim offerings.
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
        It takes 10 times the effort to build out an urban landscape than it does a desert or rural country landscape, which is probably why after 20 plus years you don't see Chicago, New York, etc.

Imagine Chicago in Run8. Place a center point at Union Station and draw a 20 mile radius circle from that point (40 miles in diameter). There would literally be hundreds of miles of track combined. A spider web of track on a map. The time and resources, not to mention getting track data/signals from all the Class I RR's, Metra, South Shore, etc.....would give any route builder an aneurysm​. Look at the LA/San Bernardino area....heavily condensed. John G. explained in a doc why he did that. Probably holds true for Chicago. Bailey yard could be it's own region in theory and would perhaps be a great place for multiplayer servers.

Comment

As Dale mentioned, Calgary to Field would be really nice (used to drive out to Field and picnic and hike the trails around Takakkaw Falls). Winterpeg to Ottawa might be interesting with a lot of grade changes, nice variety of forest/lake terrain, Thunderbay grain terminals (Great Lakes shipping).
          Last edited by Leaf85; 03-11-2024, 03:28 PM. Reason: edited for mentioning another sim/route
          Avidly simming on the rails:
          Currently operating Run 8 and TSW3

Comment

Yes Antelope Valley or Soledad Canyon is a huge omission in the current SoCal network, though to do it justice they would probably need a Metrolink licence and do a train set to go with it. In the LA area itself there are a few gaps, Dolores Yard and down to Long Beach could also open up the possibility of the Surfliner route down to San Diego getting added.
            Vern.

Comment

I've said it before, no license needed with government transit agencies or companies...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Would love to see a midwest route too bad the third party that was developing the Chicago based route fell through.
                Todd
                Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

Comment

Montana Rail Link might be interesting. I'd also like to see a link up from SoCal to Seattle/Tacoma/Portland then into Canada (Vancouver BC).
                  Avidly simming on the rails:
                  Currently operating Run 8 and TSW3

Comment

-Norfolk Southern East River District, like the one we have for MSTS, but extend it to Roanoke

-Chicago & Northwestern, Proviso Yard to Clinton, Iowa

-Illinois Central St Louis Division, Centralia to Cairo, Illinois

-BNSF Mendota Sub

-BNSF Barstow/Savanna Sub

-BNSF Ottumwa Sub

-ATSF Marceline Sub

-Conrail's Chicago Line, Ashland Yard in Chicago to Toledo, Ohio, via South Bend and Elkhart, Indiana

-Norfolk Southern on the former Nickel Plate mainline going across Northern Indiana

-CSX/L&N Henderson Subdvision

-CSX's now abandoned former B&O St Louis mainline going across Southern Illinois

-The shared Cotton Belt/Missouri Pacific mainline from St Louis to Gorham, Illinois

Comment

Fostoria Ohio The Iron Triangle NS and CSX
                      CN 5337 Proctor MN USA

Comment

Actually posted something similar in the other thread. Something with grain elevators we can serve as Industry out across the Prairies. I have a very nice book in the library upstairs North-west Passage by Rob Leachman…

One of my most valued books and it has information and details on many BN lines in the Pacific North West extending back into Idaho and Montana including the many branches (some now closed) that existed primarily to serve the grain market. If 3DTS/R8 Studios want some inspiration, they could do worse than buy a copy of this book and study what would make a good route in Run 8.
                        Vern.

Comment

I would build the CN route from West Edmonton...nah lets do Edson to Hinton onto Jasper,AB Canada.
                          Rory

Comment

Canadian passes route whatever it's called which includes Kicking Horse Pass. Done the same way as in Trainz. In sections to cover the whole route end to end.
                            Yma O Hyd

Comment

I'd like to see routes set in the 1960's and 1970's with roads such as Rock Island, Southern Railway, Penn Central, etc. We already have some stock that would fit the era.
                              NYC - Road of the Future

Comment

There is a Selkirk route at the moment correct?
                                why not try for the former B&M West End, now owned by CSXT.
                                Schenectady, NY to East Deerfield, MA. A bit of a stretch in mileage, but you get a bunch of various road jobs, switch jobs, and locals, with grain trains, container trains, autoracks trains, manifest freights, local manifest jobs, East Deerfield Hump Switcher, etc.
                                Could expand onto that line as well with the route that runs from White River Jct, VT down towards Springfield, MA.
                                -Shawn K-
                                Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Working...
                                X