Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for realistic re-spawn ideas (SoCal)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for realistic re-spawn ideas (SoCal)

I'm looking for suggested settings for the general respawn/spawn of consists that simulates more closely an average day (24hr) on the SoCal system. Currently my world save is down to four trains concurrently from one of the busy world saves. I'd noticed nothing was really spawning in on it's own and I realized I'd set the timer at 45 minutes (quickest) to 60 minutes (slowest). I'm not looking for a California rush hour experience, but something more akin to a relative representation of the presented time period. Thanks!
    Avidly simming on the rails:
    Currently operating Run 8 and TSW3

Hi Leaf, one an hour is not bad, but I think it depends on size of your socal setup, and where your spawn points are setup.
    Do you have all the routes?

I mostly run on servers, but all the ones I've run on seem to have heavy traffic to/from Alameda corridor, and moderate traffic to/from needles.

I typically see traffic from bakersfield subdivision too, though it seems to be mixed on how much and what direction.

You could try setting a train every 15-20 minutes and see how that looks after a few hours of use.

Comment

If you can leave your computer running for a day or two try different settings for the time between trains and the amount of trains. If you have a minimal amount of symbols then add more symbols to the AI traffic generator. On the Southern Transcom thru Barstow it can be as high as 80 in a 24 hour period so 40 each way. Set your spawn time between trains at say 30 mins to start.
      Work Safe play hard

Comment

Thanks fellas, I'll try those ideas.

Comment

Leaf, westerngy's idea is pretty solid.

I might have asked this before, but have you ever run on a server with other people?

(I say this because I'm almost always surrounded by traffic when I run on a server, and of course it's a bit magical seeing real people doing yardwork, delivering locals, etc, right besides the work you're doing yourself).

Comment

Yes, primarily on Sean M's RTS server where we ran his system of a 24 hour snapshot- sometimes it took us a few days to complete the movements of the 24hrs in question, other times a couple of weeks (dependent on the number of available hands to operate the railroad). I mainly do single player now when I do play.

I've set the general spawn time to Dale's suggestion so I'll see how that pans out, then I'll adjust to suit. Thanks!

Comment

Slightly off at a tangent, but still think it would be great to eventually get a feature where we can set up a spawning “timetable” where and when we want trains to drop in on the network and the type too. This would be better than the random spawns or having to break off from driving your own train to place a specific consist. Get closer to simulating the actual real world movement pattern.
              Vern.

Comment

I agree Vern, and my hope is that we'll see some form of API so that the community can build things like this - if they exposed a way to spawn a train from a given save file on a given track ID, that'd be all we'd need.

Comment

That's a good idea, Vern and Jack. You could have it as granular as you wanted, including the industry locals, and the short lines. As a single player or even in multiplayer (as an adjunct for those play groups with fewer hands to operate) you would have a choice of what you wanted to operate that session. If you could set it up so that the units would run (spawn and work via Otto) at appropriate times then the routes would seem very alive. As an option, it could be a boon to the SP game, and a bonus for the MP game. Probably should be added to the wish-list methinks. ^.^

Comment

One of the things I would love to do is emulate that old SIAM Tehachapi dispatching game, where you would start with certain trains already running on the network at midnight and have others spawn in or start at specific times.
                    Vern.

Comment

Just a follow up. I ended up spawning some trains in manually, and re-set the auto-spawn rate to 20 minutes (minimum) 30 minutes (maximum). Have had a couple of non-tagged consists pop in but I delete them rather than let them mess with Otto. So far I've re-achieved a relatively lively rail system again. Works for me, ymmv.

Comment

Working...
                      X