Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuing Administrator/Computer problems Please?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pcohen
    replied
    Hi Marek, thanks for the reply.

Will give It a try.

Thanks

Paul.

Leave a comment:

• superheatedsteam
    replied
    Try services.msc instead.

If your computer is connected to the Internet, I would suggest leaving Windows updates enabled.

If your computer is at a known good state then create a Windows restore point. Google how to do that and there are many tutorials to assist you through that process.

If you create a restore point before installing software and it goes pear shaped after that, you can go back to your restore point.

Cheers,

Marek.

Leave a comment:

• pcohen
    replied
    Hello everybody.

Having Changed my Windows 10 OS from 64 BIT to 32 BIT with not very good results regarding playing older Games, I decided to put It back to 64 BIT.

And now, Guess what, All the Games I had Isues With In recent Weeks (Monoploy, MSTS and Silent Hunter 4) are all now working correctly!

My question now Is please? What is the best way to save this so I can re-install It if at some stage at a later Date I have to Re-Install Windows 10.

I have a Couple of External Hard Drives to hand, but not sure Saving the whole of Drive C:\ Is the best option.

I'm thinking, maybe wrong that Automatic Updates Was Causing the Problem of my games not playing after a Computer Shutdown.

A while ago I discovered that If I opened RUN and entered SERVICES I could turn Off Automatic Updates but unfortunately now when I enter RUN and enter SERVICES
    the Computer does absolutely nothing?

Any thoughts on this please?

Many thanks

Paul.​

Leave a comment:

• R. Steele
    replied
    Prior to installing an old game find the "EXE" file and right click on it...you should get a context menu...click on Properties and go to the Compatibility tab...bottom of the tab check the box "Run as Administrator"

...also take a moment to check other boxes as needed >>> "Run this program in compatibility mode for: and choose an operating system that the program previously worked in from the drop down list. Checking other boxes as needed to make the program work, if the first install fails.

After all boxes are checked and selection are made, make sure to choose apply and ok
    bandicam 2023-11-21 07-51-15-788.jpg

Leave a comment:

• pcohen
    replied
    Hi Everybody.

Why Is the Administrator Bolcking me from Installing some of my old CD Games?

Keep getting message "You need to have administrative rights on this computer to Install this game"

Really beginning to annoying me!

Thanks

Paul.​

Leave a comment:

• pcohen
    replied
    Hi Everybody.

This Is the latest situation with my Desktop Computer with my Windows 10 OS.

Hope it makes some sort of sense.

For some weeks now with a New Windows 10 setup I have been trying to run My Three Favourite Games/Simulations.

Which are Monopoloy NEW EDITION, Microsoft Train Simulator (Run as 1MSTS) and Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of The Pacific.

These 3 Programmes couldn't be any different but I can only Run any combination of Two of them succesfully.

When all 3 Programmes are on this Computer Silent hunter will not start from IT's Desktop Shortcut. getting Message:-
    "An Administrator has blocked you from runnung this add"

I don't understand why this Is because the Windows 10 Installation I am using currently Is the same Windows 10 that was on my Computer

previously. I only Re-Installed Windows to have a clearout. I just don't understand why these three Programmes don't work seperately.

Anymore help or suggestions Please?

Thanks

Paul.​

Leave a comment:

• pcohen
    replied
    HI Eric, thanks for reply.

Everything is working OK at the moment apart from sorting out the Administrator problem In Silent Hunter 4?

Thanks

Paul.

Leave a comment:

• eric
    replied
    Paul, I might suggest making a restore point for your computer if everything is working.

If you are really feeling motivated, do a full backup as well

Learn how to back up apps, settings, files, photos, and Microsoft Edge favorites and preferences on your Windows PC.

I would do that before installing either Silent Hunter or Mahjong Towers.

It's a lot less work to restore from a backup than it is to try and do everything all over again step by step. Once that's done, then start messing with Silent Hunter and Mahjong Towers.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• pcohen
    replied
    Hi Ged, thanks for that, will keep trying.

Paul.

Leave a comment:

• slipperman
    replied
    Hi Paul,
    Then the problem could be with either Silent Hunter or Mahjong Towers. I would suspect SH4 as you've only recently mentioned Mahjong Towers.

Cheers,
    Ged

Leave a comment:

• pcohen
    replied
    Hi Ged.

Unfortunatelty changing the SH Shortcut did not work, still not responding.

Guessing this Is another One of my Administrator nightmares?

On a good note, having Re-Installed Monopoly and MSTS and they are now both working after shutting down completely and restarting again for four times with no reported problems. Which was the Initial problem.

Also forgot to mention Windows 10 USB stick also came with a Card with the Microsoft Logo and a Windows 10 Home product key with 25 Digits.

Many thanks

Paul

Leave a comment:

• slipperman
    replied
    Hi Paul,
    That Win 10 USB would seem to be OK Thanks

It appears that you probably don't have a Registry problem but there might be something wrong with the SH4 shortcut.
    I'm assuming that when you double-click the existing shortcut nothing happens, not even any kind of message.

Right-click the existing short cut and make a note of any characters following 'SH4.exe', including any double-quotes on the 'Target' line.
    I suggest that you now :
    1. Delete the SH4 shortcut from your Desktop (right-click it and select 'Delete')
    2. Go to the folder containing SH4.exe, right-click it and left-click 'Send To' then left-click 'Desktop (create shortcut)'.
    3. You should now see a new shortcut but it could be anywhere on the Desktop. You can rename it and move it to wherever you wish.
    4. If you noted any characters following SH4.exe in the original shortcut, they should be added to the 'Target' line on the new shortcut, exactly as they appeared in the original.
    5. Try double-clicking the new shortcut.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to check the Registry for Silent Hunter entries. I can't help with that because I don't, currently, have the program.

Cheers,
    Ged

Leave a comment:

• pcohen
    replied
    Hi Ged.

Double Clicking the SH4 Shortcut does nothing. Notepad and Wordpad are both working.

thanks

Paul.

P.S. I purchased the Windows 10 HOME USB stick from Microsoft's web site it came in a box with Microsoft logo.s and there address Redmond USA also Dublin. The USB stick Also has Microsoft written on it, so I hope it's legit.

Last edited by pcohen; 11-15-2023, 09:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• slipperman
    replied
    Hi Paul,
    I didn't know you could legitimately purchase Win 10 on a USB stick!!

Anyway, back to the problem with your main PC.
    I asked you before to open the folder containing a game and double-click its executable. Please do that. Does the game start OK? If not, try running NotePad or WordPad. Do they start OK?
    If not, then there would seem to be a problem with the Registry in that .exe files are not being recognised correctly (I have seen this problem before!). Please come back with the your answers to the above 2 questions. Thanks

Cheers,
    Ged

Leave a comment:

• pcohen
    replied
    HI everybody, now I'm totally confused.

A few Years ago when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I purchased Windows 10 on a USB stick.

I installed this Version of Windows 10 on my main Desktop and also on my ACER Laptop.

A while ago I decide to Fishout my Old Laptop and Install MONOPOLY, Silent Hunter 4 and 1MSTS to Drive C:\.

Guess what! Their all working correctly.

My question now is:- What is missing from my Main Computer to stop these working?

It's beyond my compression But you guys out there that have been so helpful so far might have some Idea.

Many thanks

Paul.​

Leave a comment:

Working...
X