Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 11 Crashes

SERIOUS CRASHES

In the last two days, Windows 11 has crashed twice (blue screen, error code, automatic restart).

I am not sure whether my computer has a hardware problem, or whether this a software issue.

Here a couple of suspicious circumstances:
    1) My computer accepted a window update a few days ago.
    2} In both instances, I was using TSRE5 0.8.003 Activity Tool at the time Windows crashed.

This type of crash disturbs me, so I plan to use TSRE5 0.7.005 for the next few days.

I know others have had issues with the activity tool, something I have not touched.

Can you share a log file? They no longer overwrite so it might help pinpoint an issue.
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
      I know others have had issues with the activity tool, something I have not touched.

Can you share a log file? They no longer overwrite so it might help pinpoint an issue.
      Sorry, I have just deleted the folder containing the program (however, I did scan last log file myself and did not notice anything I considered suspicious).

It may be few days before I try ver 0.8 again, but I will certainly save the log file if I experience further problems.

Comment

Originally posted by adreid View Post
        SERIOUS CRASHES

In the last two days, Windows 11 has crashed twice (blue screen, error code, automatic restart).

I am not sure whether my computer has a hardware problem, or whether this a software issue.

2} In both instances, I was using TSRE5 0.8.003 Activity Tool at the time Windows crashed.

This type of crash disturbs me, so I plan to use TSRE5 0.7.005 for the next few days.
        I have removed TSRE5 0.8003 from my computer.

I am still not sure what caused those crashes, but I have just received another, while using TSRE5 0.7005 Consist Editor.
        Do you see anything suggestive in my log file (attached)?

log.txt

I am going to try to back out the last Windows update.

Comment

SERIOUS CRASHES

Check to see if you have an Intel wifi card... it's been reported that there's a BSOD issue and a new driver out for it.

If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post

Check to see if you have an Intel wifi card... it's been reported that there's a BSOD issue and a new driver out for it.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2024/0...now-available/
            Hi Eric,

Many thanks for the info -- I believe my laptop uses Intel Wi-Fi 6. I will try the new driver as soon as possible.

On Friday, I attempted to restore my entire system drive from an earlier backup using third-party backup-restore software but my backup files on an external SSD are apparently corrupt, and the restore operation failed, leaving me with a computer which would not boot. I have other backup files, but I had to go back as far as November to restore my system to an operational state. At the moment I am still recovering my data (I believe I can recovery most of my data from recent backup files, even though the backup files may be incomplete).

There is a lesson to be learned here -- before attempting something drastic (like reformatting your main drive and/or restoring absolutely everything, including system software) be sure you have TWO different ways to return to your current state.

Regards,
            Dan

Comment

I would have just rolled back the driver.
              Can you still do that with Win 11?

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by rdayt View Post
                I would have just rolled back the driver.
                Can you still do that with Win 11?

Randy
                Hi Randy,
                I believe it is possible to rollback drivers in Windows 11 (but I had no reason to suspect a Wi-Fi driver).
                Regards.
                DAn

Comment

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for the info -- I believe my laptop uses Intel Wi-Fi 6. I will try the new driver as soon as possible.

On Friday, I attempted to restore my entire system drive from an earlier backup using third-party backup-restore software but my backup files on an external SSD are apparently corrupt, and the restore operation failed, leaving me with a computer which would not boot. I have other backup files, but I had to go back as far as November to restore my system to an operational state. At the moment I am still recovering my data (I believe I can recovery most of my data from recent backup files, even though the backup files may be incomplete).

There is a lesson to be learned here -- before attempting something drastic (like reformatting your main drive and/or restoring absolutely everything, including system software) be sure you have TWO different ways to return to your current state.

Regards,
                  Dan
                  Hi Eric,

On the weekend, I was able to recover most of my data files.
                  Monday, I allowed Windows 11 to update to feature level 22H2, and updated the Intel Wi-Fi driver. I had TSRE running for a couple of hours without incident.
                  Tuesday, I allowed Windows 11 to update to feature level 23H2. That afternoon, while TSRE was running, Windows crashed (blue screen, etc). I was also having another issue, where TSRE Activity Tool becomes unresponsive after a couple of minutes.
                  This morning, I attempted to uninstall feature level 23H2. It looked like something was happening, but after restarting, I still seem to be at feature level 23H2, and TSRE Activity Tool still becomes unresponsive after a couple of minutes (this happens with v0.7005 as well as v0.8003d).

I am working on a project, and TSRE is useless on this computer, so I will dust off an old Windows 10 computer (not capable of running Windows 11), install TSRE, Open Rails, and the route and activities I am working on.

Regards.
                  Dan Reid

Comment

Seems to me like a good reason to not get Win-11. My supplier upgraded my machine last June to Win-10 from Win-7 and even he advised againist Win-11. I keep a old Win-XP machine around for critical situations. It is not connected to the internet so I use a flash drive (USB2) to copy to & fro.

Jerry Sullivan

Comment

Jerry same here.
                      Originally posted by landnrailroader View Post
                      I keep a old Win-XP machine around for critical situations. It is not connected to the internet so I use a flash drive (USB2) to copy to & fro.
                      My Gamer is Windows 11 and so far no problems. Have OR and MSTS installed along with Train Store, Aceit, ConBuilder, BBoxEdit, ShapeViewer, DXTBmp, and TGATool. So far all working well.
                      Owner and CEO of Hart Rail Lines & Hart Commuter Railways, and Hart Rail Cars.
                      It's my Train Sim world so I run HART RL anywhere I want.

Comment

Moving these to the PC Tech forum, as it's not a TSRE issue....

Comment

>I believe it is possible to rollback drivers in Windows 11 (but I had no reason to suspect a Wi-Fi driver).

Intel have notified that they have a buggy wifi driver in win11, they have produced an updated driver.
                          Last edited by derekmorton; 03-08-2024, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Hi Eric,

On the weekend, I was able to recover most of my data files.
                            Monday, I allowed Windows 11 to update to feature level 22H2, and updated the Intel Wi-Fi driver. I had TSRE running for a couple of hours without incident.
                            Tuesday, I allowed Windows 11 to update to feature level 23H2. That afternoon, while TSRE was running, Windows crashed (blue screen, etc). I was also having another issue, where TSRE Activity Tool becomes unresponsive after a couple of minutes.
                            This morning, I attempted to uninstall feature level 23H2. It looked like something was happening, but after restarting, I still seem to be at feature level 23H2, and TSRE Activity Tool still becomes unresponsive after a couple of minutes (this happens with v0.7005 as well as v0.8003d).

I am working on a project, and TSRE is useless on this computer, so I will dust off an old Windows 10 computer (not capable of running Windows 11), install TSRE, Open Rails, and the route and activities I am working on.

Regards.
                            Dan Reid
                            I have restored my entire system drive to an earlier point in time, and allowed Windows 11 to update to feature level 22H2 and I have updated the Intel Wi-Fi driver. I have paused Windows updates because I do not want to go to feature level 23H2 anytime soon.

I have used the Compatibility Troubleshooter on TSRE5.exe, and I believe I have fixed the issue where TSRE Activity Tool becomes unresponsive after a couple of minutes. The magic setting appears to be "Run in compatibility mode for Windows 8".

Regards,
                            Dan Reid

Comment

Which version of tsre is requiring compatibility mode?

Comment

Working...
                              X