Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pan Am Railways - Nashua NH

42.8113459314455, -71.5901083247449

I was in Nashua NH with a friend yesterday, having lunch at this great roast beef sandwich place, when we both heard a train horn. I was not familiar with the area but my friend was and said there were tracks across the street immediately behind the row of buildings, but they were in awful shape and he'd never seen a train use them. But soon we were able to see between the buildings that a short train was indeed crawling up the tracks. We were just finishing lunch so we hopped in the car and drove up a few blocks figuring we would easily get ahead of the train and spot it at one of the main crossroads. We picked well, and from the crossroad we went down we could see the headlight down the tracks.

Now, when I say the tracks were pretty awful, this is what I'm talking about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pan-am-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	2226121

Kinks, bumps, you name it, but here comes the train:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pan-am-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	2226122

At the speed he was going I think we could have walked to the next intersection and beat him :-)
    Attached Files

It appears to be in gauge. Well, mostly.
    Highball!

Randy

Comment

The photo doesn't really capture just how bad it was!

Comment

Years and years of neglect has quickly sprang up on the Guilford/Pan Am lines. Hopefully with CSXT dumping as much money into it, things will look better. However I feel most of these branch lines and secondary mains are going to be handed off to smaller guys like VTR or RJ Corman.. CSXT hasn't shied away that their main purpose and goal is to get into the Port of Saint John, NB.

Nice captures regardless!
        -Shawn K-
        Derby Rail Shops
        Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Comment

Working...
        X