X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brownville Jct Happenings

I understand not many people care about New England railroads, let alone ones that aren't class ones or carry 15k foot trains... (NBSR has a rule of 10k feet or 11k tons, whichever comes first), though in reality, without a doubt I know it's me people don't like... Shrugs.

But, I try to get pictures of what I can, when I can, because you never know if it will be the last time. Especially the aging SD40-2 fleet soon to be retired/scrapped.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
    -Shawn K-
    Derby Rail Shops
    Maine Central Mountain Division: 20% Track, 10% Scenery.

Shawn,

Those are very nice shots sir. Some pretty scenery, and nice looking locomotives.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Comment

That SD40-2 looks so out of place and yet so appropriate...
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

HI Shawn, I care quite a bit about New England Railroads especially after living in the Worcester MA area for over 40 years. I've chased my share of Providence & Worcester and Guilford trains.

And Eric. I don't think the sd40-2 looks that much out of place. I remember when Conrail would have a combination of C40's, C39's, C36's, along with SD40-2's to get the required horse power to get a train over the Berkshire's.

Fred

Comment

The SD40-2 does look small compared to the SD70M-2's, which is ironic considering at one time the SD40-2 was a large unit compared to others. Sadly these units will eventually be replaced by 7 more SD70M-2's.

Trying to get as many photos as I can of the GP38-3 and GP40-2 fleet as well, as they eventually will be going on to Progress Rail, to be rebuilt as GP31ECO's.
          -Shawn K-
          Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Shawn,
            Just noticed this post.
            Don't sell yourself short, Shawn. You've got a lot of friends in these forums.
            Seems most screenshots lately are of mile long trains winding their way through western mountains or deserts from A to B. Fine, and I have many of those routes, but I enjoy New England railroads much more with their heavily forested single track lines meandering through valleys to paper mills, lumber mills, small towns etc. These lines tend to be short with plenty of switching to keep a crew busy for the day. I still run Max's Stowe Northern route and is a good example of my previous observation.
            12 years ago, Greenbaron1918 published a few MSTS videos on railfanning East Fairfield, Vt. on the Stowe Northern. He also posted a couple videos on railfanning Florence, Vt. I believe that route was also done by Max or perhaps yourself. It looks similar to the SN. If this route was released, it was a while back and looks like I missed out on an excellent example of New England railroading in Vermont.
            Keep posting your work on New England roads as this region seems to be mostly neglected in MSTS/OR and you've given it a blast of fresh air!

Phil

Comment

Florence, VT was on a personal route I was doing, it wasn't even completed. Still isn't. I haven't really checked out many MSTS or ORTS videos, but I do recall the Stowe Northern route. Was definitely a great fill in route for the lack of New England based routes at the time.

Still lack them actually, but I'm slowly trying to work on a few.

Don't let the short line title fool you with Eastern Maine Railway though. The Mattawakeag Subdivision that I work on four times a week, is a 105 mile long line, that's mainly point A to B running, with train lengths that bounce between 5,000 to 10,000 feet long in either direction. Usually mixed with container traffic and regular freight at the moment. We are all hoping this fall the container traffic picks up again to have two trains. 120/121 being container traffic only with no stops, and 908/907 being mixed freight with occasional stops at Hardy Pond and McAdam as needed.
              CSXT interchange with EMR is supposed to start September 1st in Mattawakeag, but we will see.

McAdam sub, 85 miles long, is point a to b too, however Saint John, NB has a lot of customers along the yards, so it works.

The Millinocket/Madawaska Sub is 200+ miles long, but serves a ton of various customers. That's where most of the action, besides Saint John, happens in the NB&M system.

-Shawn K-
              Derby Rail Shops

Comment

I didn't realize you guys ran trains of that length and over that distance!
                Are there any other locals that run over that line or are the 908/907 trains designated as such?
                Sounds like the Millinocket/Madawaska Sub is the happening place for local traffic.
                Besides Stowe Northern, I enjoy running the DAR v3 with your NBSR freight set with included activities for that route.
                MLT's Bridge Line is also a favorite but can't really be classified as "New England" being New York state but doesn't stop me from running SN, CV as well as VRS equipment over the route.
                Looking forward to your route building progress.

Phil

Comment

Yeah, the train lengths became bigger when CP started running over this way, even more when they decided to run 5 days a week versus 7, and doubling the size, as well as combining the regular freight with container traffic.

Not much local work on the Mattawamkeag or McAdam subs. Mainly just large set offs or lifts at Hardy Pond or McAdam.
                  The stuff dropped at Hardy Pond is typically stuff to head north on the MNR. The stuff at McAdam is for the St. Stephens sub down to St. Stephens and Calias where they serve a couple of customers including a paper mill.

The Madawaska Sub, Houlton Sub and Presque Isle Sub is pretty much where all the local traffic and jobs happen.
                  Millinocket Sub may get some stuff, if they ever decide on what's going on with the old paper mill sites in Millinocket and East Millinocket.

I should make some newer activities with the newer NBSR stock I have for the DAR, however I did start laying track for the NB&M's Mattawakeag Sub, so maybe I'll hold off.
                  -Shawn K-
                  Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Thanks for that information Shawn.
                    By all means, any further NBSR activities for the DAR would be most welcome and look forward to the Mattawakeag Sub at some future date.

Phil

Comment

Some very early morning shots in Brownville Jct, and one from McAdam, NB.

-Shawn K-
                      Derby Rail Shops

Comment

Working...
                      X