X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSXT SD23T4's on the former Maine Central

Got to witness some fresh "new" power on the former Maine Central "Eastern Division" line between Enfield, ME and Hermon, ME. When they went by my house earlier, I decided to give chase, as I've never seen these pair before, and who knows if I ever will again.

The pair of SD23-T4's are fresh rebuilds that are being tried out on the former MEC, now CSXT Waterville Subdivision. Along with the pair, was a classic MEC GP40 clunker, and 42 cars from the Eastern Maine Railway.

Passing the site of the Pleasent River Lumber facility in Enfield, ME. At the moment, they are currently no longer served by CSXT. I can only venture the guesses, but when I keep hearing from several sources that PRL chased after CSXT and said we no longer want these cars, after several months of waiting... kind of explains itself.

With Nine Dragons Paper in Old Town, ME being closed, much like PRL, I can only venture a guess as to why... Not a lot of activity goes on anymore, except the passing of the occasional L072 job between Northern Maine Jct and Mattawamkeag, as witnessed here.

Climbing up a hill through Veazie, ME, these GE fitted locomotives are sounding a bit like a mix between and Alco and an early GE locomotive. This little hill up into "downtown" seems to put on a good effort for the locomotives, but once they crest the hill, it's all downhill towards Waterworks, just outside the city limits of Bangor. History shows that the MEC had to use helpers from Waterworks into Old Town years ago. I can understand why.

After moving along at 25mph between Winn and Waterworks, they come to a very slow crawl of 10mph through the Bangor Waterfront, location of the old MEC Rail yard at one point in time. Apparently the slow order is account of the terrible track conditions in "Bangor Yard" east of this location, and due to the bridge across the Passadumkeag River, needing replacement by the sounds of it.

Once they clear the "Railroad Street" crossing at the waterfront location, it's highball up another big grade, and getting it up into notch 8, to make a heck of a sound climbing up out of the riverfront and into NMJ. I used to live near this location, and I had gotten used to hearing them roll through at a snails pace. When CSXT finally upgraded the speeds, it was pretty loud hearing the EMD's and occasional GE, notch out by the apartment.

The train comes to a stop alongside the other set of power that came up from Waterville as L071. Here is where the L071 and L072 crew swap trains inside the yard limits of Northern Maine Jct, with the L071 crew returning to Waterville, and L072 ending their shift for the weekend until Monday again, where they will run back to Mattawamkeag for the interchange with EMR.

With the new crew on board, L072 makes its way west, heading out of NMJ under the now Canadian Pacific Kansas City Railways, former Bangor & Aroostook bridge, that runs from Searsport, ME up into Brownville Jct, ME and eventually into Montreal via Jackman and Farnham.

I am currently rendering out the videos I took into one file, and will eventually get that posted onto youtube sometime tonight.
    Last edited by CSRX; 02-10-2024, 06:02 PM.
    -Shawn K-
    Derby Rail Shops

Nice photo's.

Comment

Thanks!
      and the video!
      These things sound pretty interesting.

-Shawn K-
      Derby Rail Shops

Comment

These are some interesting, brutish looking beasts! I like that Alco'ish chug sound. I was just at CSX Barr Yard today - anxious to see if or when some make it to Chicago.
        Thanks for the pics and vid. These are the kinds of modern power a lot of us would love to see in the OR world.
        Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Comment

Shawn,
          The CSX SD23-T4s are they ex SD40-2s?
          Thanks
          Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Timbit View Post
            Shawn,
            The CSX SD23-T4s are they ex SD40-2s?
            Thanks
            Tim
            Correct, rebuilt from the SD40-2 body and frame, I believe by Wabtec.
            -Shawn K-
            Derby Rail Shops

Comment

When I watched the video I thought those were SD45's for half a second with the flared radiator...

Mechanically, talk about a kitbash.... a GE inline 6 replacing a V16 but keeping the EMD alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by CSRX View Post
                Thanks!
                and the video!
                These things sound pretty interesting.

Very good work, Shawn.
                Congratulations.
                Mateus

Comment

Working...
                X