X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Days of Union Pacific's Chicago Tribune Job

Last edited by eric; 06-26-2024, 08:40 AM.

Fixed the link. Really well done, and shows why I kept that track in my CNW route....
    If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

It is a nicely done video and makes me reflect a bit...
      When I was young there were no drones and if you had a video camera, it was over your shoulder- possibly with a VCR in a bag on the other shoulder.

The ability for every day people to make these outstanding videos, and then showcase them for free today is something we all take for granted, but it wasn't that long ago that this wasn't even possible from professionals.
      Last edited by TrainSimJack; 06-26-2024, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Excellant video representing the end of another era. It seems like industrial leads thru out downtown Chicago are falling fast in the past 10 years as are industries in the area. M&M Mars is closing their plant along the old Milwaukee Road as well for more modern plants up north. Thanks for sharing the video TrainSimJack
        Kevin Kelleher

Comment

Kevin, where is that MM mars plant and what do they make there?

Comment

Along the Metra Milwaukee West line (CP Chicago Sub) right at the Galewood Yard tracks; Galewood Metra stop.
            Neil

Chicago Railroading Fan

Comment

The orange block is where the Trib plant was. Notice all the yard tracks continuing southeast towards Kinzie Street and west of Canal Street...

Click image for larger version

Name:	chicago1929.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	2306723

The yard to the left of the Tribune (where people were taking photos from at the end) used to be part of the coach yard that dated from when the CNW station was at Wells Street.

Blommer Chocolate (also closing down) was served on the same branch as the Tribune plant, so without any remaining customers (and no real prospect of new ones), it wouldn't surprise me to see the line taken up all the way to Cy.
              Last edited by eric; 06-27-2024, 10:44 AM.
              If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

The best part of the video...seeing an old CNW caboose working.
                Cheers, Gerry
                "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
                It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
                Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
                Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Working...
                X