X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving?

Eric on a personal note, good luck on your move. We're leaving again for Florida this weekend, get the keys to the new abode next week. Won't be full-time yet, but by July or August should be there permanently.
    Last edited by eric; 05-24-2024, 10:23 AM.
    Owner and CEO of Hart Rail Lines & Hart Commuter Railways, and Hart Rail Cars.
    It's my Train Sim world so I run HART RL anywhere I want.

were are you moving too eric?

Comment

Florida is hard to beat these days...

We are still a good 18 months away from considering the final move, but it's good to know we have a place waiting when the day comes to leave Illinois winters behind us.

Last edited by eric; 05-24-2024, 01:10 PM.
      If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
        I don't know about that.
        The National Hurricane Center is predicting the largest number of storms ever forecast for the Atlantic, putting tens of millions of Americans at risk.

Randy

Comment

there will be 14 hurricanes and 5 major hurricanes

Comment

Maybe so....but....some trends are real... https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl.../sltrends.html

Local response, preparation and infrastructure changes will help...

Click image for larger version  Name:	NOAA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.3 KB ID:	2303849
            Attached Files
            Cheers, Gerry
            "A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa
            It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
            Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.
            Audi, Vide, Tace, Si Vis Vivere In Pace

Comment

Don't say physics.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Jdark34 View Post
                were are you moving too eric?

We bought property in Eastern Tennessee. The plan has always been for us to leave ILL when it's practical, and after looking at AZ, NV, SC, and yes, FL, we fell for a small piece of TN.
                If you like what you see here at Trainsim.com, be it the discussions and knowledge in the forums, items saved in our library or the ongoing development of our TSRE Fork, I hope you'll consider a paid membership to help support keeping the site operating.... Thanks!

Comment

You know, you do get advance warning for hurricanes. Not so with earthquakes.

Comment

Originally posted by rdayt View Post
                    I don't know about that.
                    I'd gladly take hurricanes over out of control taxation and spending.

Without diving into politics too much, when you live in a state that's practically bankrupt and insolvent with rising crime rates, that puts you at risk every day. It would be one thing if the leadership and legislature acknowledged the fiscal cliff we've been at, but in the State of ILL, that hasn't been the case. Spending remains out of control and in the wrong places.

My wife lived in FL before we met... the chances and effects of a hurricane depend entirely on where you live. A hurricane's effect on somewhere like Lake City or Ocala is going to be negligible compared to Vero Beach, Destin or Fort Meyers.

Take away that one data point, and you really can't beat the rest: the views from the coast, the 360 day climate, the cost of living.

It's almost like California, but without the taxation.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarleton View Post
                      You know, you do get advance warning for hurricanes. Not so with earthquakes.
                      Correct, not as much of an advance warning and tracking for hurricanes, but the science is improving....testing is ongoing and improving in those areas that benefit.

How the ShakeAlert® System Works

DETECT, DELIVER, PROTECT: ShakeAlert® is not earthquake prediction. Rather, the USGS-operated ShakeAlert Earthquake Early Warning system detects an earthquake that has already started and estimates its location, magnitude and shaking intensity. If an earthquake becomes large enough to meet USGS alert thresholds, a ShakeAlert Message is issued. Then, technical partners, which have entered into a license agreement with the USGS, use this information produce and deliver an alert that prompts people to take a protective action, such as DROP, COVER, AND HOLD ON, and/or to trigger an automated action that can protect vital systems, equipment, facilities, and infrastructure. These automated actions could include slowing a train, closing valves, issuing a public announcement, and many others.

The ShakeAlert system takes a network approach to earthquake detection and alerting. This network uses sensors distributed over a wide area where earthquakes are likely to occur on the West Coast of the United States (with nearly 1,700 anticipated on network build-out). Data from individual sensors across large regions are combined to maximize accuracy and alerting time during moderate-to-large earthquakes.
                      Cheers, Gerry
                      It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Comment

Eric - agree 100%:

Without diving into politics too much, when you live in a state that's practically bankrupt and insolvent with rising crime rates,
                        Having lived in NY state all my life I see it headed for an implosion or meltdown and don't want to be here for it. That aside, after twenty years of plowing snow during every storm, ( worked for a municipality ), the last thing I now want to see now is that damn white stuff!

A reality check, a hurricane last a matter of hours, it's the residual that you have to deal with after, power outages etc. Gee get that with snow and ice storms too. Get 3' of snow and it last weeks, and when you plow it where do you put it? Nice big piles in front of everyone's home. Then comes the thaws and refreezing with all that ice.

The media and Weather Channel hype it up big time, only showing the limited worst effected areas. A hurricane only really effects a rather small area with the real bad stuff.

I survived Super Storm Sandy here in on Long Island NY and that was worse than most hurricanes in that it impacted a really large area. Did 12 hours shifts for nearly a week until power was restored to our Water Dept. On top of that a couples of days after Sandy hit we had a snowstorm. The power crew from California that was working our area wasn't prepared for that. So I'll take Sun and the occasional Hurricane in stride.
                        ​​

Comment

Also :

A hurricane's effect on somewhere like Lake City or Ocala is going to be negligible compared to Vero Beach, Destin or Fort Meyers.
                          We're going to Fort Myers, but even there it was limited to the coastal areas. Where we're going wasn't even in the evacuation zone and we're a half hour from the beach. Went down last Thanksgiving 2022, soon after Ian, and except along the coast you couldn't tell anything had happened. Hype, Hype, Hype.
                          Last edited by oper190; 05-24-2024, 02:02 PM.

Comment

It's almost like California, but without the taxation
                            That's a popular canard --- gotta align taxes with income, benefits to population, too many variables. Every state in the Union is facing a new future, and trying to figure it out....playing politics about it -- is the most childish approach. Remember it is "E pluribus unum". There are solutions, if we all work it together.
                            Cheers, Gerry

Comment

A few good reasons to move to Tennesee....big mouth bass, corn likker and hot cars...anybody else like the Robert Mitchum movie "Thunder Road"?
                              Robert Charles Durman Mitchum (August 6, 1917 -- July 1, 1997) was an American film actor and singer. Mitchum is largely remembered for his starring roles in...
                              Cheers, Gerry

Comment

Working...
                              X