Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got to climb into an SD70MAC today! (Warning: PICTURES)

Default I got to climb into an SD70MAC today! (Warning: PICTURES)

I was up in Amarillo, TX today as I usually am several times a month and happened to drive down 3rd street which parallels the BNSF line from Amarillo to the D/FW metroplex. Often times I see coal trains and the occasional stack train resting at a crew change/refueling/service area which is about 5 miles away from the huge BNSF yard. About 4:00 I drove by and there were 2 coal drags resting. One had 2 SD70MACs up front and one DPU at the end. The second train, two tracks over, had 2 SD70MACs and a warbonnet Dash9. I had my digital camera with me and thought that since there were two trains, one may be there long enough for me to take some pics. I parked at the little office and approached the locos. A gentleman in overalls walked up and extended his hand to shake and I asked if it would be too much trouble if I could take a couple of pictures while the trains were here. He invited me to take as many as I wanted and let me onto and into any loco I wanted! This guy was a 27 and 1/2 year veteran of the railroad, a conductor! We talked railroading and stuff for about 45 minutes and I ended up with 45 awesome pics of the trains. That guy was really cool for letting me around like that. I guess it's good that they are away from the yard and some of the bosses. Here's some pics from this afternoon.

Default RE: I got to climb into an SD70MAC today! (Warning: PICTURES)

I promise there are pictures...wait a second.

Let's try this again...

[Link Expired]

Alright, now that I've established that I CAN include a picture - here are a few more.

[Link Expired]

[Link Expired]

[Link Expired]

[Link Expired]

[Link Expired]

More shots...

Looking out the front of the third unit.
    [Link Expired]

View from the nose of #9892
    [Link Expired]

Good front view of #9892
    [Link Expired]

So where's the pics showing the desktop controls.Don't tell us that you forgot those shots.:)

A red and silver WarBonnet, just the way God intended a Santa Fe locomotive to look!!!
    None of this BNSF pumpkin patch.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-02 AT 01:05AM (EST)[/font][p]DUDE, you don't know HOW freakin' jealous I am at this moment. The SD70MAC is my all time favorite freight unit. I have been in a SD40-2, P42 and a F59PHI...but the goal is the MAC... :D Hope you post some more shots!!! And Congrats!!

Brian E. Bundridge
    Seattle, WA USA
    Brian Bundridge
    TrainSim.com Moderator

Yes, I did get a couple of pics of the controlls...

[Link Expired]

Here's a good shot of the engineer's controlls.
    [Link Expired]

I actually didn't get a good shot of the conductor's side. My host on the locos had a lot of stuff spread out and I didn't think it would be quite appropriate to ask him to move it so I could take a pic. Still, it looks alot like the Dash 9 on the conductor's side.

TAfan Guest

Thanks for sharing these great pics with us - are BNSF locos always this clean?! I have to say I don;t think I've ever seen a truly filthy one!

Looking at those cab shots really makes me wish that MSTS also featured interactive cab displays, like most other simulation games do these days. Imagine being able view different pages of information, and not having to have those silly track monitor and coupling windows floating around the screen? Ah well, we can dream. Maybe for MSTS2, if Microsoft is listening. ;-)

BTW, what stuff do these displays actually, erm, display? Besides speed and brake pressure and the stuff that is already featured in MSTS, what other information is available to the engineer through these screens? There appear to be plenty buttons to play with! ;-) Is there a website anywhere that explains this kind of stuff?

Cheers!
    TAfan
    [Link Expired]