Thread: Link of Interest (?)

Default Link of Interest (?)

Howdy-
    I saw the link to Al Krug's site mentioned here earlier, and I'm very glad I checked it out. Good stuff there. If anyone has any other links to places where operators have posted journals and/or photo essays, please post them. I like reading that stuff even more than playing the sim.
    If you're interested in the dispatcher's POV, check out this site: http://www.haleytower.org/
    It's a site about restoring a couple of towers in my neck of the woods. Click over to the Springhill Tower section, then find your way to a series of articles called the Latta Laments. They're written by a CP dispatcher about running trains through the Latta Subdivision in Indiana, formerly Soo, now CP. If you find train movement interesting, I think you'll like his insights. Some just give you a greater understanding of the job, while others are hilarious.
    Again, any links to similar sites would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Pop
    (Note: I'm posting this to the General and MSTS boards)

Default RE: Link of Interest (?)

I just spent quite a bit of time on the link you provided. Very interesting stuff.

There's a CP engineer who posts something of a diary at http://www.greatlakesrail.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=4 of his journeys out of London Ontario.

I'd be interested in any other links people might have as well.

Thanks, I'll check out that CPR site. My post was so old I'd forgotten about it. I'm glad you enjoyed the Haley Tower site.
    Haley still "functions," by the way. It's of course not hooked to the interlocking tracks anymore, but there's still power to the machine, along with a chart for lining routes. So you can stand in there and "line a route" from point B to point G, and see the corresponding tracks and signals light up on the overhead board. It's kind of fun, for a diehard railfan that is.
    Pop

Here are a couple of good sites:

www.dnaco.net/~gelwood/ which is better known as Fallen Flag Railroads. There are thousands of photos old and new with rr listed by alpha.

The other site is www.mtnrailswest.com. This site has photo essays of west and northwest areas of the US. The Montana section has some great photos of Marias pass taken in 1991-2001.

Carlyle Thompson
    Chesapeake, VA

I checked the gelwood site. George Elwood, who runs the site is in the process of reworking his site. It has become very large and demanding and requires a t-1 for access which of course will cost $$. It may become a subscription much like this site.

I found a link to another site that I like. It is http://212.187.14.245/rails. This site is based in Europe, I believe, but has photos from all over the world. There are some very excellent photos of electric, diesel, and steam. I highly recommend visiting this site.

Carlyle