Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTS on WINDOWS XP

Default MSTS on WINDOWS XP

Hi all,
    Just going to buy this game, but first wanted to check something with you guys about this game.

On the official site it says this game runs on WINDOWS XP, but everywhere else it fails to mention this, listing all the other operating systems it runs on.

I just wanted to ask, those of you who have WINDOWS XP as your operating system, does this game work on it?

THANK YOU,
    MARTIN

Default RE: MSTS on WINDOWS XP

Did for me , but this issue can be very system specific at times

Make a Mess!!
    I am :-)
    Make a Mess

Hi! I just got a new Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and MSTS runs like a champ on it! The other specs are:

512 MB RAM
    Intel Mobile Pentium III - 1GHz
    nVidia GeForce2 Go - 32 MB
    Hitachi DK23DA - 40 GB Hard Drive

I have had no compatibility problems at all, but as Stumbl said, each system is different even with the same OS.

- Andrew

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ajj572/images/Logo16.gif PATCO Hi-Speed Line

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-04-02 AT 09:53AM (EDT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-04-02 AT 09:52 AM (EDT)[/font]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-04-02 AT 09:51 AM (EDT)[/font]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-04-02 AT 09:50 AM (EDT)[/font]

XP is probably the best OS you can run MSTS on as it "cures" many of the resource "bugs" the other OSes have that tend to crash MSTS...
    That is if you have the "price of admission"!
    IMPO this is the Minimum system to "practically" run XP on! I know the MS "official specs" are quite a bit lower and you can "walk" XP on a lesser machine but I am assuming that you actually want to do something and don't want to "swap yourself to death"!

CPU 650mhz or better (Doesn't matter AMD or Intel)(I use an AMD/XP1900 but ran it on a PIII-650 early on and My Grandson runs/Walks it on a Celeron 466 and his Dad runs it on a PIII-933)
    Memory 256MB or better (the more the merrier)(I have 1024MB)
    Video Card GeForce2mx (32mb) or better ( The better - the better it runs as it is very graphical! I run a Geforce 3/ti-200 and some people swear by the Radeons)
    Disk 20GB or better (Better is Better)(I have 70gb of SCSI160)
    Sound Sound Blaster or better (I use a SB-Live Value! The Turtle Beach stuff enjoys an excellent reputation and I used the "built in" C-Media 4.1 on my motherboard for a while with good results)
    Monitor 17" they are cheaper now and the 15" while they will work will definately start you straining at the details and make the screen seem "busy" (I have a 21")

BROADBAND! Trust me if you can get this do so! MS apparently thinks we all already have it! Just look at the size of some of the downloads on the Windows Update page!

Just my .02 Your Milage May/Will Vary!

P.S. When running MSTS You should note that on my Grandson's Celeron we have all the sliders to the left! and on mine I run with all the sliders to the right! You will have to adjust the options sliders for your own machine and preferences.. That's how we can cover such a wide range of systems...

------Chuck Schneider---------
    [Link Expired]
    -----"Power for You"-------
    Chuck Schneider
    Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (Virtual CEO)
    North American (Virtual) Locomotive Works

Martin,

I'm running Windows XP Pro and MSTS works just great. I'm not a big game player, but all of the games that I have run great on XP.

As far as I know, Windows XP is the best operating system for MSTS because of serious problems with Windows 95/98/ME when using the Route Editor. Jeffrey.

>XP is probably the best OS you can run MSTS on
    >as it "cures" many of the resource "bugs" the other
    >OSes have that tend to crash MSTS...

Chuck, win2000 is an earlier version of XP so does NOT have resource problems either.

Derek

Cheers
    Derek

True Derek... Win2k is labeled internally as Win5 and Win/XP is labeled internally as Win5.1! Basically it is 2k with all the service packs compiled in and the Luna interface and upgraded Multimedia Support (DirectX 8) and vastly expanded hardware support via Plug and Play!

However Win2k is rather challenged as far as Hardware and Gaming support is concerned... It lacks DirectX 8.x and the plug and play support is very rudimentary compared to XP... If you have 2k then fine... However if you are buying a New Machine or OS don't even consider 2k as XP replaces it.. and gives you all the benefits and then some!

------Chuck Schneider---------
    [Link Expired]
    -----"Power for You"-------
    Chuck Schneider
    Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (Virtual CEO)
    North American (Virtual) Locomotive Works

dgauci Guest

I've used MSTS on the same system with both Win98SE and WinXP Pro, Windows XP is clearly superior.

Brendan Guest

I'm running MSTS on XP Home and it's working great!

I had a problem with MSTS locking up, but I opened a case with Microsoft. We determined it was a problem with the SoundMax drivers that came with the system.

The temporary work around was to disable hardware acceleration on the sound card ( I didn't notice a difference in sound quality)

SoundMax has since come out with newer drivers, and that seems to have corrected the problem.

I highly recommed XP!