Thread: Mark June 1st 2002 on your calendars........Railfanning Day,

Default Mark June 1st 2002 on your calendars........Railfanning Day,

I already posted part of this message in another post, but let us make June 1st 2002 a worldwide Railfanning day. 1201 am to 1159pm. Rain or shine. It seems we have days for our parents, days for boxers(just picking on the Canuck's ,Colorado Avalanche is going to kick everyones tail for the Stanley Cup, and the Limey's) and any other day we can think of. So why not a WORLDWIDE RAILRAOD WATCHING DAY. I know I will be out there taking pictures. There is nothing more exciting than being around these huge pieces of living and breathing steel.
    To be standing trackside when a hotshot intermodal, with the newest in motive power on the head end, blows by you at 60 mph.
    It is also just as exciting to see 2 old worn out GP-35s pulling with all their might a hundered cars out of the yard only to shove them over the hump. You can hear it in their voices that they are using every ounce left in them, and see the black exhaust billowing out of their stacks.
    I can just feel the anticipation of the train coming. You have been sitting for the last 30 minutes staring at dark lifeless signals, when all of a sudden they come a live. A green signal!! Yes, finally!! Then the you start to get anxious after about 10 minutes when nothing shows. Finally you think you hear something,just your imagination? Is the ground vibrating a bit or have you been standing too long? Do you see a headlight or is it just a reflection from some discarded piece of metal? Then all that you though you saw and heard becomes a reality. A heavy coal or grain train pounds past you, 4 or 5 units on the head end
    100 or so cars(and every other one has a flat wheel or two) and then 2 DPU units on the rear. So lets get out there take some pics. Post them on your web sites or lets start a forum showing our efforts.

"CTC Board Railroads Illustrated" and has set aside 1 June 2002 to illustrate North American Railroading.
    They would like people(railfans) to go to their favorite railroad watching locations and take pictures.
    They would like the results sent to them by 12 July 2002. Photographs need to original color slides, black & white prints and or black & white slides.
    No color prints or duplicate slides.
    Any photo you wish returned must have packaging and postage. Each slide/photo needs to have photographer's name and address writen on it, and a basic caption must be included with each picture.
    The basic caption needs to include railroad, nearest siding/town and state.
    Additional caption info should be on a seperate piece of paper. There is no restrictions other than they have to be pictures of North American Railroads taken on the 1st of June 2002 from 1201 am to 1159 pm.

Their mailing address is:

CTC Board Railroads Illustrated
    Day in North America 2002
    PO Box 1358
    Ferndale Wa. 98248

"KEEP ON TRUCKIN BY TRAIN"
    "Your Freight Goes Great, When it Goes By Great Northern"

Erik Pierson
    Sacramento, Ca
    [Link Expired]
    Bringing the steam locomotive to the digital age!
    http://sacramentolocomotiveworks.com
    Erik Pierson
    Sacramento California

Default RE: Mark June 1st 2002 on your calendars........Railfanning Day,

I'll be there!!! (Probaby rain (first day of the June Monsoon up here)).

Jeff.

RFSPF (Rabidly Foaming Southern Pacific Fan)

Can us from outside the usa join in? (not with the CTC thingy, just an excuse to go and watch trains). If so we could make it a World Railfan day. We could post pictures here. A day when railfans from around the world rise up and head down to the local main line. Im already planning where to go...

http://members.aol.com/nutsvincey/logo.jpg

I think that would be an excellent idea, kind of why I did this post.

Make it a worlwide holiday for all RAILFANS!!!!!!

Erik Pierson
    Sacramento, Ca
    [Link Expired]
    Erik Pierson
    Sacramento California

Unless my memory is failing, June 1st is noteable for something else too: the first anniversary of the release of Microsoft Train Simulator. Can you believe it's been a year already?

June 1st, 1999 was also the day Conrail was split in two. It might be interesting for those folks that live in the Northeast part of the U.S. to go out and count how many engines are still in Conrail paint.

By the way, if you go out railfaning that day or any other, do it sensably. I don't want to hear about anybody getting hurt or arrested. We live in different times today and it seems that the police are just waiting to catch someone with a camera at the tracks. :-(

Joe

The RR police have gotten used to seeing me around Roseville yard. Infact they say hi and wave every now and then(probably just to let me know they're watching me). I do not do anything stupid and am very careful. I do not give them the opportunity to say I am trespassing and stay at least two feet off their right of ways. From time to time if I am at a grade crossing taking pics, I will stand near the middle of the tracks on the road when the train is a few blocks away and use my telephoto lens. I try to respect the awesome power and size of the RRs.

Erik Pierson
    Sacramento, Ca
    [Link Expired]
    Erik Pierson
    Sacramento California

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-31-02 AT 09:45AM (EDT)[/font][p] I just thought I would bump this back to the top seeing how tomorrow is June 1st. I have to work tomorrow, but in my few free moments between work I'll be sitting next to the tracks with my Sony digital and my Minolta 35mm.

Erik Pierson
    Sacramento, Ca
    [Link Expired]
    Erik Pierson
    Sacramento California

The man already took my Sony MVC-CD200 camera for railfanning. I think I'm through for a good while.

-Chris
    Chicago-L