Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have some news on ship gas turbines that could be used for Locomotives.

Default I have some news on ship gas turbines that could be used for Locomotives.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-23-02 AT 05:13PM (EDT)[/font][p]wow!:) yesterday on the science channle I saw the future on ships and efficent Ship Engines that could be used for locomotives.

Mabey the Turbine engines will rise again:D

Still looking for a website on this news and it's probully a little old but who knows

Default RE: I have some news on ship gas turbines that could be used for Locomotives.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-23-02 AT 06:36PM (EDT)[/font][p]I'd like to see more turbines! (might happen cuz EMD makes both locomotive AND marine engines)
    http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/ru...coolgleamA.gif -Darkfyre

Default RE: I have some news on ship gas turbines that could be used for Locomotives.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-23-02 AT 08:16PM (EDT)[/font][p]There's actually a bit of a story about the UP 'Big Blow' turbines and marine power plants. When the UP retired the Turbines, several were sold to a company called 'Intercontinental Engineering' in Kansas City. Intercontinental, among other things, builds river towboats. It was the intent to fit the locomotive turbine powerplants to towboats. However, after considering issues of noise, exhaust polution and the enormous fuel consumption, no such towboats were constructed. I believe that one of the turbine locomotives was saved and later donated to a train museum, so something good came of the project in the end.
    As for current railroad service, I belive there is a project underway in New York to rebuild some of the retired Amtrak 'Turbo Trains' with new turbines and upgraded interiors. I believe the first two rebuilds were released for testing about this time last year. Maybe someone on this forum knows how the testing turned out, and if there will be any more 'turbos'.

Yeah! I saw the pictures, a firm called Super Steel is refurbishing them and so far they look great. It would be nice to see one pass this way again, last and only one I ever saw was the early morning Niagara Rainbow back in the late 80's.

Bill [Link Expired]

I was on the only RTL II set a few years ago. They just recently pulled it from service because of either brake problems or a broken piston. I was up in Albany recently and saw it sitting in the yard with an F40, a few Genesis engines, and a couple of FL9s. I liked the original RTL I the best. I'd love to see a model of it for MSTS.

John

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-23-02 AT 09:08PM (EDT)[/font][p] good all of you know something about this turbine erra but I allso heard that the new turbine engines run cleaner and less noisey than thier big brother the gas (loud} engines.

Allso get this they claim their pulloot less than current diesel engines of today.

I hope soon someone picks up this idea again and runs with it. You all know they will never replace a Electric Lcomotive like the Acela amtrack and some others I can't remember at this time but you all get my drift high speed railling is the key to the future.

thanks you for your post an keep researching this turbine it sounds interesting.

Fastruck

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-23-02 AT 09:50PM (EDT)[/font][p]Found a Website with some photos of the rebuilt Amtrak Turbos. This photo was taken June 2001. Attractive paint scheme, I wish I knew enough about MSTS to attempt a reskin or new model.

http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtTurbos/amt158.jpg

The story I am hearing about the current service of these units is that while there were indeed two power cars rebuilt, they are coupled on each end of a trainset so that there is only one set in service. It apparently makes only one trip a week; Friday nights one way Albany to Schenectedy, returns deadhead to Albany.
    For our overseas forum members, those two points are in New York State north of New York City.

kevarc Guest

Until they can figure out a way to lower the speed in idle and other issues, I doubt thst it will happen.

Kevin Arceneaux

[Link Expired]

by the way kevarc
    where is the new website for The Keystone Works?

I work for the Boeing Company and have read about some plans to make turbine engines that will be used on aircraft called the Sonic Cruiser. These same type engines are being looked at from a few railroad/locmotive manafacturers. These turbine engines are very quiet and very fuel effeciant. The idling problem was basically solved by incorparating "kickers". These "kickers" are actually small turbine engines (like aircraft APU's) that turn the main rotor. There will be four of them. How it suppose to work (has been tested by Boeing I heard) is by shutting down the main engine and using the kickers to restart hot or cold. These larger engines use similar "hush kits" as on large aircraft. perhaps you have heard these at airports where all you hear is the whine of the turbine....not the roar. These hush kits disrupt the hot gases and exhaust flow from creating micro "sonic booms" from making those load roars on throttle up. As for the use on Loco's, there might be a way to use them the same way. The newer turbine engines nowadays are very fuel effeciant and quiet. Perhaps we will see something in the future.