Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kazaa Users

darkrose Guest

Default Kazaa Users

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-24-02 AT 02:54PM (EDT)[/font][p]This does have to do with TS, because you'll end up not being able to do much with your computer if you download the new version of Kazaa or update... We've gone from spy/adware now to something very different. I had used Kazaa to let people download my short stories, but not any longer... If you download KAZAA, those little agreements you click on, thinking its just a media player (by {[link:http://www.brilliantdigital.com/|Brilliant Digital Entertainment]) that you're agreeing to... well.. read this...

[link:mailto:[email protected]|John Boreland] of [link:http://www.cnet.com|CNET] wrote this article, in part :"A California company has quietly attached its software to millions of downloads of the popular Kazaa file-trading program and plans to remotely "turn on" people's PCs, welding them into a new network of its own.

Brilliant Digital Entertainment, a California-based digital advertising technology company, has been distributing its 3D ad technology along with the Kazaa software since late last fall. But in a federal securities filing Monday, the company revealed it also has been installing more ambitious technology that could turn every computer running Kazaa into a node in a new network controlled by Brilliant Digital.

The company plans to wake up the millions of computers that have installed its software in as soon as four weeks. It plans to use the machines--with their owners' permission--to host and distribute other companies' content, such as advertising or music. Alternatively, it might borrow people's unused processing power to help with other companies' complicated computing tasks."

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html

There is a way to uninstall it and keep Kazaa... in this article they take you through it step by step....

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-875274.html

[hr]
    "Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream?"--Poe
    [hr]

DarkRose

railwaysoftware1 Guest

Default RE: Kazaa Users

Get Kazaa lite, no spyware, no ads and no hidden software....

Ron
    www.railwaysoftware.com

Fight against terrorism, corruption and the Route Editor !

I want to thank you for that information.....had it, and now got rid of it.........I want to add something else, there is also a virus going through KAZAA, see trend microsystems, called the Benjamin virus........which I also had.......needless to say I have since gotten rid of Kazaa and Grokster, because of this, Grokster searches the same database as Kazaa for files........Trend Microsystems, or better known as PC Cillin, has an excellent tutorial on how to know if you have the virus, apparently I had it for quite some time, and how to get rid of it.........Very easy explanation......if you notice your hard drive space becoming smaller for no apparent reason, this could be it because it generates an enormous amount of false files so others in the Kazaa community will download the file and further propogate the virus.............

Some real a..holes out there.......too bad......

Tim

"Just a an old man and his old trains"

darkrose Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-24-02 AT 11:37PM (EDT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-24-02 AT 11:36 PM (EDT)[/font]

I want to thank you for that information.....had it, and now got rid of it.........I want to add something else, there is also a virus going through KAZAA, see trend microsystems, called the Benjamin virus........which I also had.......needless to say I have since gotten rid of Kazaa and Grokster, because of this, Grokster searches the same database as Kazaa for files...... Trend Microsystems, or better known as PC Cillin, has an excellent tutorial on how to know if you have the virus, apparently I had it for quite some time, and how to get rid of it.........Very easy explanation......if you notice your hard drive space becoming smaller for no apparent reason, this could be it because it generates an enormous amount of false files so others in the Kazaa community will download the file and further propogate the virus.............

Some real a..holes out there.......too bad......

Tim

"Just a an old man and
    his old trains"

[font color="navy"]
    [/font]

Yeah, I found the site you were talking about, decided to put the link down for people. Before opening any file I get, I run Norton on it, whether it comes from a website, email, friend.. doesn't matter, I don't like taking chances with my PC, took me a long time to get her and will be along time before I can get another... My friend Asbjorn's disk ended up corrupted as heck from a file someone sent him.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

[font color="navy"]
    [/font]

On another note, to answer your other post, Ayuh, I'm from Maine. I doubt that I'll ever move away from Maine.

[hr]
    [hr]

DarkRose

MikeBrobst Guest

Thanks for the tip, I uninstalled kazza and alot of problems I've been having with my internet cleared up. Aparently it was running in the background or something? After unistalling kazza..and the brilliant whatever it was that i didn't know was there. I have now regained about 70MB of my system memory which I couldn't figure out what was using it.
    ---Mike Brobst---
    [Link Expired]
    ---Toledo, OH---

Thanks Rose.

All that crap gone from my system now.

Derek
    Cheers
    Derek

driverphil1 Guest

I aggree with DarkRose. Scan any files you get over the internet. I even scan files from here. You can't take risks. I hate people who spoil this great resource (the internet) for others.

Phil
    http://trainsimming.tripid.com

chicagorail Guest

Since Morpheus and Kazza are very similar does this go for morpheus as well?

darkrose Guest

No, it doesn't Brilliant Digital Entertainment has the agreement with Kazaa, not Morpheus, but for any questions about Morpheus or any other software go to http://www.cnet.com and look up the software and check what they have to say about it and what users of the software have found by experience...

Good Luck!

:)

[hr]
    [hr]

DarkRose

Just one other thing I would like to add, just because you have an antivirus program tunning doesn't mean that you won't get this virus........I had one running too and it didn't pick it up........So, I switched anti-virus programs........As for the Brilliant stuff, an antivirus program won't pick that up........If you are running Kazaa, I would get rid of it, at least until they can come up with a solution.......and like I said, I got it off of Grokster which is affiliated with Kazaa.....
    The computer purrs like a kitten now........

Tim

"Just an old man and his old trains"