Thread: train Whistle

richsturgeon Guest

Default train Whistle

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-29-02 AT 08:45PM (EDT)[/font][p]So who invented the train whistle? I know do you?

NG10 Guest

Default RE: train Whistle

I thought all that was known of the inventor was the following (from the history of the Sir John Wedderburn)

"It was on Saturday, May 4th 1833, that there occurred an accident which gave us the engine whistle. It was on the level crossing between Bagworth and Thornton that driver Weatherburn drove the engine Samson into a market cart containing 50lbs of butter and 80 dozen eggs. So serious an affair was reserved for Stephensonís consideration. A meeting of directors was called, and the managerís suggestion of a whistle which steam can blow was adopted. He went at once to a musical instrument maker in Leicester, who constructed a ĎSteam Trumpetí which ten days later was tried in the presence of the Board of Directors. In appearance it was alike a huntsmanís horn, 18 inches long and 6 inches across at the top"

Paddy

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

The Long Island Rail Road claims to be the first user of whistles on its steam locos....

NG10 Guest

But that wasn't until 1834. Presumably their claim is for the first train whistle in the US.

Paddy

richsturgeon Guest

you were prob the closets this all started off a question off of
    Hollywood Squares who invented the whistle and the answer was George Whistler but according to an article I found they feel that the whistle goes back to Ben Franklin the source of this information is Htt://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/steam/steam-overview.asp