Thread: FL9s and Geeps For Sale...

Default FL9s and Geeps For Sale...

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-31-02 AT 06:28PM (EDT)[/font][p]From Ellis Simon's Amtrak Digest Vol 1 #60, today:

That FL-9 You Always Wanted Is For Sale Now

Amtrak has put up for sale its fleet of six FL-9 bimodal locomotives, according to a notice from B.A. Hastings of Amtrak’s purchasing department, which was posted on Trainorders.com by “Jaap.” The FL-9s are diesel electric locomotives equipped with third-rail pickup shoes for use in the rail tunnels leading into New York. They were purchased by the New Haven Railroad to enable trains to run between New York and Boston without changing locomotives in New Haven, and Amtrak used them in Empire Corridor service until the mid-1990s, when they were replaced by Genesis locomotives. In addition to the FL-9s, Amtrak is selling two CF-7, five GP-9, two GP-7 and two SSB-1200 switchers.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussio...=43996&t=43996

John Roth
    [Link Expired]

Default RE: FL9s and Geeps For Sale...

Tell that one kid who took his moms friends credit card and bought a 1.1 million dollar helicopter and a $199,000 dollar jet with it. No joke.

Put me down for 2 of 'em.

:-)

Lets see I'll take one of those GP9's Restore it put Chrome looking trucks paint it in racing colors Put a Exhaust system on that you could hear for city blocks A stereo system, speakers in cab,front,left,right sides speakers in the rear would be 6 feet tall in front 4 feet tall cab 2 feet tall.Cab Refurbish the cab chrome controls, leather seats, tinted windows. Lights in front 4 sets of 2 Gyrolights 2 would be just regular,the others would be different colors ditch lights would be different colors every time they would flash.Now if anyone could top that I would like to see or read.I would'nt mind doing that as a job for the Railroad but they wouldn't.Thats would I probably could do If I had the time and money.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-02 AT 11:58AM (EDT)[/font][p]I'll take the CF7, with the following:
    Soda Dispenser, Bulletproof windows, some of that hydraulic stuff cars use to bounce around with; replace them bulbs with ultrabright landing lights; put in a toilet, freezer, and microwave; hook up an amplifier to the horns (if its possible); Armor-plate the body; chrome the anticlimbers (if there are any), ladder rungs, fuel tank and plow, get rid of them couplers, jerry-rig some tires and a steering column, plate the cab controls with 24k gold, replace those indicator lights with diamond lenses, line everything in the interior with silver, paint the exterior jet black, put two coats of wax on it, replace the engineer's seat with a smooth-as-silk high-back velvet recliner, get rid of the handrails, put in a side-door to the cab, with a set of steps that extend to the ground, line them with purple neon lights; replace the locomotive engine with a 600hp Cummins diesel truck engine(hey, we're driving it on the road, right?), install a shower, section of half the fuel tank, reserve it for the water, top of the line industrial-strength filtration system, and water heater in the empty space where the locomotive engine was;
    and finally, put in some nitro and turbocharge the h*** out of it!

http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/ru...coolgleamA.gif -Darkfyre

I would buy one and put the orginal AMtrak paint on it. Not the black one the red and grey one. Or should I put an AM Road paint on it? Then I will put a platfourm in my back yard and run service from my house to Nashville. And when school starts up again I shall run service to and from school. SO I need to purchase a club car and a passenger car. Oh that would be so Damn COOL! And then if I could get a B-unit hehe

Might I remind you that EMD never built an FL9 B-unit. If you plan to run it into NYC, you cannot have a B-unit and MUST enter under the East River or over the Harlem River. An FL9 caught fire in the tunnels under the Hudson River before.

John

PS: How much is the FL9?

Damn, thats right! I Forgot. Well nevermind. LOL I shall go bye a F-7 with my imgainative money. lol