Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA Railroad Museum

Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States of America.

Default PA Railroad Museum

Just sharing an experience here.

Yesterday I wandered on out to the PA Railroad museum for PRR days (June 1 and 2) and had the most fortunate experience to speak with a man who was a guide for one of the PRR Consolidations in the museum. As it turns out, he actually operated the K4 that was right there in the museum! (I think it was #3750). He had his old PRR logbook and all that! He had some

Such a wonderful experience to meet up with the locomotive engineers who can tell you first hand what it was like operating these fine machines in their heyday!

Wonderful experience with great stories!

GH

Default RE: PA Railroad Museum

That museum has some great locomotives in it, definitely worth the trip if you are anywhere near Amish Country in PA. As a bonus, you get the Strasburg Railroad right across the street where you can take a ride behind a working steam loco, very nice :)

Cliff

I have been to the PRR museum in Altoona and it was definitely worth the trip....

Can't wait to go back for the Altoona Railfest!!!

John Rosh
    TKW Public Relations
    [Link Expired]

I went to the PRR museum in Strasburg back in September, it was an excellent time. They had some really nice locomotives there. Happy Rails, Patrick

Norfolk Southern, RCO Conductor, Lake Division

That really is a great museum. I've been there twice in the past few years, and also took the Strasburg RR ride during one of the visits. Pennsylvania really has a lot of interesting railroad sites to visit. I've seen quite a few of them but still have quitet a few more to go!

I hope those morons at ALL the museums in the USA would not be morons and get those steam beats up and running just like the HeyDey of steam!!! I can still smell my steam loco's smoke in the air!!!!! IF WE COULD GET ALL OF THOSE STEAM LOCO'S UP AND RUNNING!!!! WE WILL HAVE AROUND 10,000 STEAM LOCO'S ON AMERICAN ROADS ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!! FOR ONE THING MY GREAT GRAND SON WANTS TO BE A MILLIONARE SO HE CAN BUY AND RESTORE TO OPERATIONAL CONDITION ALL OF THE AMERICAN STEAM TRAINS AND MAE A FORTUNE!!!!

America's railroads are among the best in the world!
    if we want em to stay like that we better pay tribute!
    Railroads help us in time of need even when we dont notice!

GOD BLESS THE AMERICAN RAILROAD

Obviously you haven't studied the economics of running a fleet of steam locos, as compared to diesel. The increased maintenace costs, both in time and labour, as well as the increased maintenance to trackage would be prohibitive. Most railroads do not have the extensive heavy backshop capability needed to maintain steam any more. Retrofitting the mainline to handle the watering and fueling needs of steam locos would also be an expensive undertaking.
    How long and how much would it take to create the skilled workforce that it would take to run, and keep running a steam fleet? I don't think it could be done in today's railraod climate of merger. alliance and downsizing.
    I don't even want to think about the problems that you might have with union agreements if you went back to steam.
    This whole thing was tried back in the 1980's with the ACE 3000 steam project, as well as with the test runs that were conducted with Ross Rowland's 614 on the CSX. The thrust behind these initiatives was to determine if a return to modernized steam power would be of use to reduce US dependency on foreign oil. This was triggered by the energy crises of that era.
    In the final analysis, while it was proved that modern steam was efficient, it was determined that even with high oil costs, diesels were still more economic to run, all factors considered.
    Steam really only survives today in countries that have cheap and large labour forces. The only new steam locomotives being thought of lately are some 0-6-2T's for the can railroads of Cuba.
    Today, a running mainline steamer is worth more to a railroad as an advertising and PR tool, rather than a tonnage hauler.
    Steam may be more romantic, and definitley more interesting, but its not currently economical.
    cheers
    Harold

http://members.shaw.ca/hac/GIFS/nalwlogo.jpg
    http://members.shaw.ca/hac/GIFS/2816.gif

Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States of America.

True!

THe Engineer we spoke with told of the hours spent working on steamers. He said EVERY night the locomotive was swarmed on by a crew to oil this, inspect that, clean out the other .... Factor in the labor, safety (if your stoker quits on you, you better know how to use a shovel!), and lets not even get into the dynamic augment on the rails.... Surprisingly, he wasn't TOO sorry to see steam go.

Yes, diesel is more economical, but electric is better yet, (if you can swing the loan for getting those pesky wires up....)

GH

Transcon Guest

Here's some facts I know comparing steam to diesel...

-It takes at most 30 minutes for a diesel engine to warm up.
    It takes at least 2 hours for a steam engine to warm up.

-Diesel engines take around 10 people to operate (including maintenence).
    Steam engines can take 10 times that!

-Diesel engines are much simpler to operate and take at least two people to operate.
    Steam engines have many more parts and switches and levers to operate and take at least 3 people to operate.

Transcon Guest

Sorry to have this thread gone so long and to be repeated in front of new threads but I just thought I might say that I went to the Strasbourg RR and the PRR Museum across the street and I thought it was fantastic! I also went to two other model railroad related things that were two blocks away. I really enjoyed the 'ghost train' thing they had on the Strasbourg RR (even if it was an echo).