Thread: downloading large files

Default downloading large files

I have asked a question similar to this before but I am still having a problem. Why can't I download files larger than 20 MB? When i try I get to about 70 - 75%. I then keep getting a error message saying compressed folder is invalid or corrupted. Please help.

Default RE: downloading large files

I'm not sure I can answer your question without some answers first.......Are you using a download program? If you are it could be that......if not, what are you using for your system and what browser and version of it are you using.......Do you have enough space on your HD for the download? Does it only happen with zip files or with exe files as well? Need to know those answers before I can give you an intelligent response......

Let me know......so I can help you!

[Link Expired]

Tim

Thanks for the reply. I am using an HP 780n computer with 100gig harddrive 512 meg ram. HP is using Netscape for a browser with no download program.I don't think I have tried downloading that large of an .exe file. I have been trying to download large route files from Train_Sim.com but I also get the same errors from other sites.

Ok , you definitely have computer and harddrive enough so that isn't your problem. You didn't say what your system was, which really shouldn't make a difference........My guess it has something to do with Netscape.......Unfortunately I am not a Netscape user but seems to me that it has a downloader built into it..........You might want to check the settings of the downloader........If you are running 4.79, I think that is the current version, it should have smart download with it.....check to see if it is putting your files where you want them, and that you don't have the other settings wrong........If you are using a 56k modem, your setting there could cause a problem as well......If you are running a version of Netscape 6 then I have no clue as I have never run it.........
    Wish I could help you more but I am an IE user and no very little about Netscape....maybe a netscape user can help you out.......You might also want to check if you have a firewall running that it isn't the culprit..........some can cause all kinds of problems when downloading files.....

Sorry I wasn't much help.........Someone will step up and help you though, I am sure of it........good luck!!

[Link Expired]

Tim

NG10 Guest

Have you tried using a download program like GetRight or Download Accelerator Plus? Then if it cuts out you can go back and carry on where you left off.

Paddy.

Your problem might also be ISP related. Some ISPs either disconnect you or do a reset after a certain amount of time to prevent people from doing large, unattended downloads such as MPs. If that is the case, you should be OK by just clinking a link every so often while you are downloading. My ISP disconnects me automatically after I think 15 or 20 minutes if there is no activity(downloads don't seem to count as activity), so I just browse the forums while I'm downloading large files. BTW, are you dial-up, DSL, or cable? I know from personal experience that being disconnected 75% of the way through a 20M download on dial-up is quite aggravating. :(

Personally, I think the whole concept of disconnecting people automatically is stupid, especially since I am paying for my ISP. The automatic disconnect feature should at least be intelligent enough not to disconnect you in the middle of a download, although it seems that its primary purpose is specifically to prevent large unattended downloads, rather than just disconnecting people if they forget to log off.