Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTS will not run in XP

mynamesnorm Guest

Default MTS will not run in XP

Has any one else had this trouble. I am running Windows XP pro with the following setup, under Win 98 2nd edition every thing was fine, never had a problem. Now all i get is lock ups, I can get as far as a cab view, then thats it. Complete system lock up.I am running a:

PIII 1000, with 252 meg ram. Nvida GeForce 2mx x 32meg card I have all the latest drivers. There are no conflicts that i can see on the system. When I try to run it I generaly have around 60% 70% of system resources free. Virtual mem. is set to Auto.

I was advised to try disableing open GL, tried that, no good, just get a few mins longer before I lock up. Tested Direct Draw in Direct x Diagnostics all ok, as is Direct 3d.

I am fresh out of ideas now, as are my mates. can any one help out a very frustrated Aussi.

Cheers

Default RE: MTS will not run in XP

Silly question - do you have all the current XP critical updates?

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains
    http://www.3dtrains.com

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

also....need more hardware specs...type of motherboard and sound card? etc etc

Make a Mess!!
    I am :-)
    Make a Mess

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-02 AT 06:29PM (EDT)[/font][p][font color=black]Also, did you upgrade your Win 98 to Win XP? MSTS seems to like only clean installs of Win XP. Or uninstall MSTS and re-install under XP.

- Andrew

[Link Expired] PATCO Hi-Speed Line[/font]

G'day Norm,

As one Aussie to another, WHY upgrade to Windows XP when your good old Win 98SE workhorse ran MSTS like a breeze. Personally (please no flaming) I would not touch XP, till say if MSTS version 2.0 NEEDS WinXP to run properly. That's a long way away yet in computer terms. (Maybe a year)
    XP Pro on your present system will achieve little in MSTS, if anything at all, except just the having, or keeping up with the latest Windows OS. In that case there will be some headaches to get through and from what my cobbers say and what I view here in posts on the TS forum. Maybe different story altogether if you had the latest "super you beaut" PC system.

I know this does not help you to your frustrated question, but my motto is, if it ain't broke, why fix it. I like to sleep soundly and keep what hair I have left on with my faithful, yes old Windows 98. Had 98 on since 98 first hit the shelves and is still running nicely and is still using the first original installion, same goes for my MSTS. My system is nearly similar to yours a PIII-850 with Geforce2 GTS card and my MSTS goes very nicely with most everything full on with okay frame rates. Enough said.

Norm of course, IF you NEEDED XP to run something else, then please forget the above, my apologies.
    Was just sort of saying here to you, maybe is better and with less heartaches, to go back to your old Win 98SE that is tried and proven. Please this is not a dig in any way, just some sincere food for thought. Hope you can get it sorted.

[Link Expired]

FeatherRiver Guest

I'm running XP Home on a clean install on a new machine (P4-1.8GHz/512MB DDRAM/Geforce2-64MB) and have no troubles. I'm didn't build the system for MSTS, in fact its primary role is direct to disc recording (music) so it's even got some other special hardware and a small dongle train protruding from its rear and the only reason I'm running XP is that "supposedly" some of my music software has exceptional performance in XP vs. 2K and definitely 98SE. I would say though people who have upgraded to XP and not done a completely new install have consistently reported grief with XP exponetially greater than what I experienced.

Also the first time I built my own PC. I was kinda impressed that instead of smoke and an electrical fire I got "Looks like you've installed a new processor, would you like to overclock it?" instead - guess I'm not a total screw-up http://www.magicdb.net/ubb/blush.gif

Transcon Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-02 AT 08:48PM (EDT)[/font][p]Ahhh another reason NOT to buy Windows XP!!!

My friends across the street bought Age of Empires 2 (Great Game!), but their brand-new AMD Athlon 950 mhz with Windows XP didn't want to install it!

Plus third-party programs that certainly enhance Combat Flight Simulator don't work with Windows XP.

Face it!!! Windows XP is just NOT worth it!

Windows 98 SE is just fine with me! I'd rather put up with 5 freeze ups a month with Windows 98 than no Train Simulator with Windows XP!

dgauci Guest

>Windows 98 SE is just fine
    >with me! I'd rather put
    >up with 5 freeze ups
    >a month with Windows 98
    >than no Train Simulator with
    >Windows XP!

That's your opinion and your entitled to it. For me I've been running MSTS with Windows XP Pro since October with the best performance I've ever had. It's been my observation in these forums that everytime someone posts problems running MSTS with XP it's the user, not the OS at fault.

If Windows 98SE aint broke why fix it? Thats simple, because Windows 98 is broke. Windows XP is the cure for proper memory management, true multi-tasking and most importantly rock solid stability and incredible performance. All attributes that Windows 98SE, good as it used to be, doesn't have.

I like Microsoft Windows, Win XP is the best version hands down.

Dennis,

WinXP won't run on my MSTS box for more that about 1/2 hour without crashing.
    It ran 98 fine for 6 months (within the limits of 98 that is).

It is now running Win2000 SP2 without any problems, the longest I have had the sim running in the 1 activity is 14 days.

Microsoft were very interested in my crashes and requested the full memory dumps. I have yet to hear back from them.

Derek
    Cheers
    Derek

>> If Windows 98SE aint broke why fix it? Thats simple, because Windows 98 is broke. <<

Exactly what I was thinking!