Thread: RAILCAMP ! !

Default RAILCAMP ! !

Anyone ever heard of this or ever been to it.I Would love to be in it it cost $550 only 6days pays for lodging,food,&equipment costs.Its in Pennsylvania & I live in Missouri so I don't think I'll be going,Not this year,sounds perty kewl though!

Default RE: RAILCAMP ! !

I'm Going!
    I'm Going!
    I'm Going!
    I'm Going!
    I'm Going!
    And I'm from Arizona, just imagine how much I have to pay just to get There!
    [Link Expired]
    Behold The POWER of Black and Gold: THE DENVER & RIO GRANDE WESTERN
    Salt River Railroad: Planing Stage

The RailCamp is an annual program put on by the National Railway Historical Society for youth interested in taking up historical railroad preservation as a Career. The last two years, it has been at Steamtown National Park in Pennsylvania. There have been about twenty attendees each year. The activities include a course in Steam Locomotive fundamentals, restoration woodworking, metalworking, train operations, and other activities. As I recall, they were allowed to briefly operate a GP9 from the Steamtown collection. I believe that candidate attendees have to be nominated by their local NRHS Chapter; ask there if you want more information.

SHEPLEY1935 Guest

There is s short blurb about the camp in the new issue of Trains Magazine!

Don Shepley-Chicago

I wish I were young enough so I could go!

I've read about it in a couple of the magazines and a few months back our local NRHS chapter had a talk by someone who attended last year and from his talk the week is really pretty well filled with interesting stuff to do. Even without the special program Steamtown is well worth a visit.

SHEPLEY1935 Guest

A vacation wouldn't hurt you with your schedule, so sign up and GO! :-)

Regards,
    Don Shepley-Chicago

Nels,

You must have heard about the Engineer for an Hour thing at Naugatuk Railroad in Conneticut?
    You have to be an adult....

>I wish I were young enough
    >so I could go!
    >
    >I've read about it in a
    >couple of the magazines and
    >a few months back our
    >local NRHS chapter had a
    >talk by someone who attended
    >last year and from his
    >talk the week is really
    >pretty well filled with interesting
    >stuff to do. Even without
    >the special program Steamtown is
    >well worth a visit.

[Link Expired]

Yup, I know about the engineer for an hour at Naugatuck. I'm going to be doing that with a friend sometime this summer. He actually grew up in Naugatuck (and I grew up in Connecticut too) so it will be a nice day trip.

I'm also planning on doing the Valley RR engineer for an hour program...in their steam engine :-) Next chance to do that is in November. Should make a nice article for the web site too.

jonathanpac Guest

Default Ive Been- My Opinions

Hey,
    I went to last year's Railcamp during the first session. I absolutely loved it! I don't think anyone anywhere can get this experence except for the people who work at Steamtown. Be sure to check for the availability of scholarships because almost 1/2 of everybody had one and a lot of NRHS chapter offer them along with a few magazines such as railpace. Look for 2 articles about the camp in the June issue of Railfan and Railroad magazine. One is by me!
    Have Fun and let me know if you have any questions
    Jonathan Pac