Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cab Rides

Default Cab Rides

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-02 AT 02:07PM (EDT)[/font][p]Just out of curiosity how many of you guys have ridden in the cab of a train or drove a train. I ridden in the cab of 3 of the Georgetown Loop's locos. #12,#14, and #40 and driven #12 with the engineers help and supervision. If I can get my scanner to work I will show you the pics!

-Zach

Default RE: Cab Rides

I have been in the cab of a VIA Rail F40.

Also a couple CN SD40-s ( one ex IC ) and a brand spankin new SD75i ( I think thats what it was ).

My buddies dad works at CN Transcona shops here in Winnipeg, so getting in to see BIG Toys is not an issue.

No units were in motion, BUT still just as cool

Tim Kent
    [Link Expired]
    "Power for You"

PS : I used to drive STEAM for the UP 'till the DEISELS came along and ruined everything....Because of diesels we have drugs,depression,war.....I still drive UP STEAM excursions when I get the chance....

( Hehe, I had to make this story interesting somehow....any guesses on who that was ??? )

PSS: For those of you who may have missed that post a month back,( and therefore have NO IDEA what I'm talking about & think I'm an idiot ) it was one of the funniest things you would have EVER read !!

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

driverphil1 Guest

My Dad works at a Railway Museaum so I lucky! I have been in a replica of 'The Rocket' a few times, also 'Iron Duke,' which runs on a larger scale track than today.

Phil

I used to drive steam loco's in the 40's!
    i know some will disagree with me ut oh well!

Union Pacific railorad is the the best railroad in the world!
    if we want it to stay like that we better pay tribute!
    Union Pacifc Railroad has ben around longer then any other MAJOR railroad. UP is the best MIX of all railroad stuff.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-02 AT 02:48PM (EDT)[/font][p]LMAO

now THAT was funny....there couldn't of have better timing on that !!

Tim Kent
    [Link Expired]
    "Power fot You"

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

I used to get cab rides in Burlington steamers in the early 1950s. There was a water tower just down the road from the house, and then they would switch freight. In those less litigious times, it was no problem to ride while they switched. As I remember, (I was only 4 or 5), there was an extra seat in which I could sit and watch. It was fascinating. I also got a ride in a T&P GP18 a few years later, in my early teens, but that was about the last of the times of innocence, lawsuits and accidents spoiled the fun. I just remember how nice the crews were and how they enjoyed my interest. I think that may have changed a little as well. I think it is now just a job for most RRers. An occasional wave is about as good as it gets anymore.
    Bob

NG10 Guest

>My Dad works at a Railway
    >Museaum so I lucky! I
    >have been in a replica
    >of 'The Rocket' a few
    >times, also 'Iron Duke,' which
    >runs on a larger scale
    >track than today.
    >
    >Phil

Hey Phil - your Dad work at NRM in York? Was he is the film of the Bullet train coming from Japan? I have been going to the NRM for years (went to dinner (think it was the Insurance Institute) on one of the platforms in the museum several years ago).

Going again shortly as it is about two years or more since our last visit.

As for going on locos I have driven on the RH&DR a couple of times, been on the footplate of the Severn Valley several years ago and went on a shunting jaunt in Stirling when I got chatting to the railway staff having arrived at Stirling far too early for the night motorail to London so he took me with him to make up the train from the sidings. Great fun.

Hey Malice , dint I hear you sayin once that you drove an sd90MAC straight up the Northeast Corrider in 1936?
    hmmmm , maybe I have you mixed up with someone else?
    (heh heh )

Make a Mess!!
    I am :-)
    Make a Mess

driverphil1 Guest

Hey NG10, nice guess, he does. And yes he was on that program (his 2 seconds of fame!!) Did you see the bit where they were measuring up in the 'Great Hall'? Well the man in that shot was my Dad! :-) Anyone else see him?
    Cheers,

Phil

[Link Expired]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-02 AT 08:44PM (EDT)[/font][p]I was lucky enough that my Dad was a railfan in the 1950's when there was still some steam around. He and I got a ride in the cab of a UP 800 class around the engine terminal in Denver, rode the rear cab of a Burlington F-Unit set around the yards, and the high point was a ride in the cab of a Rio Grande 3600 class serving as Helper out of Minturn. It was the dirtiest place I have ever been, my mother washed my clothes repeatedly to get them clean again. Then shortly after that, a railfan on an unauthorized cab ride was killed in a boiler explosion south of Denver on the Joint Line. The railroad management decreed 'No More Cab Rides for Railfans', and that was the end of it.

Then, in my adult life got hooked up with several train museums, and was active in restoring several locomotives. There were a half-dozen GE centercabs, two different Whitcomb switchers, an ALCO S-1, and my employer has an SW-8 that I have run on a few occaisions. Maybe one of the local museums will get a steam resoration going, and I will have opportunity to get up in a Steam Cab again.

Those of you who want opportunity to run a locomotive might consider joining an active museum; Probably the easiest way to get at least a little bit of the experience.
    Dan