Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STOP!! That's if you want to live..

Default STOP!! That's if you want to live..

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-02 AT 03:22PM (EDT)[/font][p]It's seem to becoming far too common.. When I have been train watching (especially in Ontario with all their highballing trains outside large cities), I see many people still race the trains.. I find myself having to close my eyes and hope nothing bad will happen..

This is getting absolutely ridiculous!! (Although, I'll be careful here in not overrepresenting the number of crossing accidents that do occur, etc..) A GO Train accident in Ontario, 5 people dead occured this morning at a highway/grade crossing WITH BOTH catilever signals AND barriers:

http://www.canada.com/national/story.asp?id={D887DA7D-91B5-4E05-89A8-6C6244A7FA07}
    http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/06/07/GO_020607

There are some reports that the barriers may not have been down.. It is a sad story, but even more disappointing is the fact that inorder for people to come to realize something, a tragedy has to occur..

But EVEN if the crossing barriers were malfunctioning (which I am sure is quite unlikely because there are several safety measures in place with all the advancements in ďcomputerizedĒ technology in use) this should STILL be a wake-up call.. I'd put it very bluntly to those people who don't respect trains or their owns lives: STOP for the train IF YOU WANT TO LIVE.. Because Iím majoring in psychology and minoring in criminology, Iíd actually find it very interesting as to exactly what is going through peopleís heads or what motives they have that make them want to "race" trains!?

Even if the barriers are NOT coming down but the red signals are just starting to engage and are on the delay before the barriers are activated, to me, that signal still means "STOP", NOT race through before the barriers catch you.. On crossings that ONLY use signals and masts (without barriers) one would think it would be best to stop immediately once they are activated (One CANNOT judge how close the train is to the crossing since there are no barriers to act as a reference point, to show the stage of activation that the crossing is in..) Would it not also be wise to stop as soon as the red signals flash even before the barriers come down at barrier guarded crossings?? Is it really worth it to die or become injured as opposed to being slightly late in our fast-paced lives!?

And one last thing Iíd like to add.. For those people who advocate for passing ordinances that restrict the use of train horns, Iíd either like to ask them to recall the last train-vehicle accident or ask them if saving a life is more important to them than reduction in ďnoiseĒ pollution!? (mind you, I may be biased on that opinion since I'm such a train and airhorn lover..)

But, thatís my two cents worth for today..

[Link Expired]

www.operationlifesaver.com

[Link Expired]

www.operationlifesaver.ca

(Hope this didnít steal the thunder over the Amtrak controversy!)

[font color=dark red] cdntrains [font color=green][marquee scrollamount=7][Link Expired] [Link Expired] "must be trains in the blood" :) [/marquee]
    [marquee scrollamount=7 behavior=slide][font size=1] http://www.frograil.com/gifs/gifs.htm [/marquee]

Default RE: STOP!! That's if you want to live..

Well said.

On another subject, I remember my old Health teacher telling us how she read in the paper about three teenagers who had just graduated high school. Well, they decided to go out and buy some beer. They were smart enough to know not to drink and drive, so they pulled up in a parking lot just beside a train station. However, they were not smart enough to control their drinking and had a little too much. Then they remembered how in old movies that people were tied to railroad tracks and then would get rescued or something like that at the last second. Well, they got into an "I dare you..." game. They knew that the train was coming soon, so one person went and laid down on the tracks. When the train did come, the cowcatcher picked up and threw the kid up in the air. The kid hit something and died. The other two kids had their scholarships taken away.

[marquee]
    [Link Expired]
    [/marquee]

Mike Karlik

Cowcatcher? How old is this story?

[Link Expired]
    Pete Willard

http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-02 AT 05:41PM (EDT)[/font][p]OUCH a plow with a nice coupler sticking out of it!?!? (sorry! not looking to be graphic) That's quite unfortunate..

I know of a couple other train tragedy stories like that, but I don't really want to turn this thread into one filled with depression.. But thanks for your input!

Keep it safe and respect those trains~! :)

[font color=dark red] cdntrains [font color=green][marquee scrollamount=3][Link Expired]3cec217553a3b730.gif [Link Expired] "must be trains in the blood" :) [/marquee]
    [marquee scrollamount=3 behavior=slide][font size=1] http://www.frograil.com/gifs/gifs.htm [/marquee]

Tuesday this week I was waiting on a subway platform in Frankfurt. It was just a few minutes past noon, and there were hordes of kids coming from school on both platforms. They were bantering around like kids use to do these days, but then after a few minutes I could hardly believe my eyes when one of these chaps - maybe 12 or 13 years old from the looks of him - climbed from the northbound platform onto the tracks and jacka$$ed around. My blood almost froze on seeing this :o ... Luckily he climbed back onto the platform after a few moments, but from then on I kept an eye on him and his buddies until my own train (southbound) arrived. If he or any of his fellas had climbed onto the tracks again I promise you I would have screamed him back onto the platform! x(

I swear I would NEVER have committed such outright IDIOCY when I was 13!!!

D.M.

"Homini plurima ex homine sunt mala."

- Plinius Maior, Naturalis Historia 7,1,5

That's what she called it ;-). I meant the "plow."

[marquee]
    [Link Expired]
    [/marquee]

Mike Karlik

MJL Guest

A true railfan slows down and waits for the crossing gates to start flashing, just so they could get stopped by a train......but that doesn't apply to those other twits...
    Matt
    [Link Expired]

Yeah I always stop, sometimes before the gates come down, just because I hear the horn. I have also stopped before the gates get fully down, but this has caused a few cussing matches and a a lil finger flying so if possible I will pull of to the side. I had a freind trying to catch the bus and a train was coming and he didnt quite make it. I still have nightmares of him being thrown into some trees, because the train was moving about 45mph. After that I knew the meaning of STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN.
    People a few minutes of your time will not hurt you. If ya dont beleive me, e-mail me, I have the clip of the young girl gettin clobbered by the BN E9 at Downers Grove IL. (The one that always cuts off right before the girl gets hit.) A grim reminder to stop look and listen.

>I have
    >the clip of the young
    >girl gettin clobbered by the
    >BN E9 at Downers Grove
    >IL. (The one that
    >always cuts off right before
    >the girl gets hit.)

Oooh, yeah, I remember that from the "Train Wrecks" video that I have. The first time I saw that my heart almost stopped (literally). :-(

[marquee]
    [Link Expired]
    [/marquee]

Mike Karlik

Friend of mine told me of some place that had a video clip of an old lady getting off of a passenger train, walking towards the front (despite the engineer's warnings), and attempting to cross to the other side...then she got smacked by a 75mph passenger train coming up from behind first one..she didn't even have a chance to know what hit her...the camera was in a fixed position so it didn't follow the front of the train (thankfully)...

*shudders* here in Maine school bus drivers will get their drivers licenses suspended if they do NOT stop at railroad tracks...

That reminds me..there was a 'RealTV' thing where a highway patrol officer stopped a woman for crossing the tracks when the gates were down..She said she thought that that's what they were there for: to drive around.

Swear ta God!

She tried to file charges for police harrassment when he fined her a couple hundred bucks; she was completely unshakable in her belief that those gates were to be driven around,instead of being stopped at; even after the judge ruled in the officer's favor and revoked her license...She tried to appeal, and was denied...

Jeez, the people these days...

[Link Expired]
    http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/ru...coolgleamA.gif -Darkfyre