Thread: Computer Ditz

darkrose Guest

Default Computer Ditz

Been online for nearly nine years and granted I'm not the brightest about computers, but I bet my tech, Cameron, really thinks I'm a ditz now. When I first got my computer, I asked for a 30 gig drive, brought her home, didn't look at the slip, and the c drive icon read 20 gig, thought I had 20 gig.

Called him Thursday morning to see about getting more RAM, and for some reason when I clicked 'Shut Down' she kept rebooting. Took her in, he called that night to tell me that he needed to wipe the drive. About all he could save was the trains folder, the PSP folder and the My Documents folder, there was no way he could do the rest. He tried to defrag, got tons of errors, tried to ScanDisk and got irrepairable errors. He also informed me that I had a 30 gig even though the icon still read 20 gig, my memory and processor were fine. He set everything back to zero, reloaded and couldn't install drivers for my sound card. Tried six different sets, didn't work, system went unstable. He replaced the Avance with a Soundblaster --only had the Avance because they were out of SoundBlaster when she was built and no delivery for two days. I wanted it right then.

Now, I did my Norton updates and am downloading my Windows Updates and have a long night ahead of me downloading and installing things. Because he kept my PSP folder, all my plugins were there when I installed it.

I see Sea View 2 has been uploaded and ready to download. Can't wait for it.

I do have more RAM and she runs completely different than she had from day one.

He tried to explain things to me and quickly saw the befuddled confuzzled look on my face--he's built and worked on all my computers and I think he finally realized that Auburn Moments happen more often than Blond Moments. (He's a redhead too, but not auburn)

So, I have no clue what CMOSS is, what the WD thingy he used is or half the things he tried to explain to me, I just know my computer runs right and I have much more space on her.

--The Computer Ditz

[hr]
    "Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream?"--Poe
    [hr]

DarkRose

Default RE: Computer Ditz

I told Ottodad the other day, "It is not IF your hard drive will crash, only WHEN!" I just added a 40 gig drive. My main drive is a 15 gig. I am using Norton Ghost (one of the programs in Norton 2002) to clone my C drive to my D drive (the first partition on the 40 gig drive) It takes about 12 minutes to process 6 gigs. I will clone about once per month or when I have installed a significant piece of software. If the C drive crashes, I can quickly change the D from slave to master and be up and running again. If it is only a software crash on C, I can wipe C and clone D to C and reverse the slave/master and be back to normal. If there is a hardware problem with C, then I will have to purchase another hard drive and clone D to the new C. But I am still up and running in about 5 minutes with the cloned drive. Ottodad agreed with me: Call it paranoia, but Muphy's Law will happen and I am going to be prepared.

Carlyle Thompson
    Chesapeake, Va

was thinkin about sayin somethin about it bein a problem bein from Maine ( i live in mass....heheh )
    but i won't.....

Make a Mess!!
    I am :-)

DISclaimer........only kidding!
    Make a Mess

darkrose Guest

~blinks~ err yeah ~laughs~ I understood that, now, that's scarey
    [hr]
    [hr]

DarkRose

darkrose Guest

Ayuh, we're all maniacs here, so's about right ~laughs~ So many people from away heyah.

DR

[hr]
    [hr]

DarkRose