Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steam, Diesel, or Electric?

Default Steam, Diesel, or Electric?

In your guys in opinion which is best of all three of them: steam,diesel,or electric? I think steam rules all in my opinion!

-Zach

georgi55 Guest

Default RE: Steam, Diesel, or Electric?

Electric all the way! (I know I'm minority)
    Georgi

Tough choice for me - from a present-day point of view I'd have to say electrics are best...but then again nothing matches steamers in terms of dignity and reverence. Diesels, on the other hand, are just nothing of either...only stinky, noisy and brutish :P . I know that with this statement I'm sure to invite barrages of protest from our North American cousins, but that's how I think.

D.M.

"Homini plurima ex homine sunt mala."

- Plinius Maior, Naturalis Historia 7,1,5

Ya CJ,
    We Yanks aren't much for dignity or reverence. We like things that are brutish and loud - just like us.:7 This is indicative of our love for monster trucks, pro wrestling, and other obnoxious things.

As for stinky, well...what may be one man's poison may be an American's medicine. Those diesel fumes, the smell of those chreosote-soaked ties, aaaaaaah, :9 sweet.

I like electric locomotives too, but only if they can be loud and brutish. (lol)

Happy Tracks to all my fellow trainiacs, here and elsewhere

Batt

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-02 AT 04:55AM (EDT)[/font][p]The E and F units brutish??? PA and FA units brutish??? Those are streamlined elegance, ok so maybe the E-2 is a bit on the ugly side. Brutish is a large articulated steamer (and large non-articulated as well), a DDA40X or a SD90MAC-H. But I digress, my favorite locos are streamlined diesel and steam.

MKT1972

[Link Expired]

Edit:spelling error..I hate those

It is the property of being diesel-powered that makes a locomotive brutish to me ;-) . I agree that the Es, Fs and their contemporaries have style, their only flaw being not having a pantograph on top and a bunch of transformers and stuff under the hood :P . Just my 0.02!

D.M.

"Homini plurima ex homine sunt mala."

- Plinius Maior, Naturalis Historia 7,1,5

darkrose Guest

Steam and Euro Diesel... US Diesel are mostly fugggggggggggly.. There are a number of Euro Diesel that I adore...

Electric? ~shakes head~ nahhhhhh

And one of the trains I dislike the most is the Dash 9!! ~laughs~ Darkfyre keeps showing me photos of them, man I can't stand them at all... So I'm shallow ~laughs~

[hr]
    "Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream?"--Poe
    [hr]

DarkRose

Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States of America.

Hey, I think electric is best too!

My favorite is the PRR/PC/Amtrak GG1, with nearly 50 years of service! Awesome "motor!" The E44 and AEM-7 are pretty cool too!

I suppose diesels would be next, particularly the earliest diesels when ALco and Baldwin were still around and there was some individuality in the business.

That makes steamer "last', but not really.

Its ALL good! :7

GH

Actually diesels do have "transformers and stuff under their hoods". Thats why they are actually diesel electrics. Besides, and I know this statement will be protested by the "Alco-haulics", there is no sweeter sound than an EMD 2 cycle screaming by in Run 8.

MKT1972

[Link Expired]

Isn't this a bit like asking which is better--apples, oranges, or pears?

Personally I have been in love with steam since I was a kid in the 1950s and the Nickel Plate was still running steam through Lakewood, Ohio, not far from my house. Also, I prefer running pre-WWII (and for that matter turn-of-the century - 20th that is) equipment in MSTS.

But electrics DO have their charms (ah, the GG1s). And what fun to be behind the throttle, in MSTS of course, of the NKP road units I used to chase as a teenage railfan in the 1960s...

Aint it great that we can have it all?

PaulS
    PaulS