Thread: Weird problem

Default Weird problem

Hey all. I have the strangest problem! On my desktop and in my Start/Programs menu (basically in all of Windows) my icons have disappeared. Yesterday they were fine, today....they're gone. I clicked on properties and told it to use the correct icon but nothing works. I also scanned for viruses but everything came up clean. I'm posting a screenshot of my desktop so maybe someone can point me in the right direction. If not I guess I'll have to re-install windows yet again.

[Link Expired]

Blake Harris
    Vice Dean, Limbaugh Institute for Advanced Conservative Studies

[Link Expired]

Default RE: Weird problem

Locate a copy of Tweakui. You can download it from Microsoft website. Tweakui is a nifty little utility that resides on your control panel window. It allows you to manipulate a wide variety of windows registry parameters in a user friendly interface. Included is a repair section which allows you to repair several categories of problems including icons. When my icons disappear, I do repair icons and they all come back.

There are different versions of tweakui for different versions of windows. Make sure you get the right one. Tweakui was written by the gurus(??) at MS and is distributed wihout any support.

[Link Expired]
    Cal Rasmussen
    Beaverton, OR
    I'm an excellent speler. I jus can't type worth a damn!
    Columbia Gorge Route (15% done, The Dalles yard and dam(10
    %) in progress)
    Cal Rasmussen
    [email protected]
    Columbia Gorge Route

Cal, I love you man! I downloaded it and did the "fix icons" thing and like magic, they're all back! Thank you SO much for the very speedy response. That saved me from losing all my stuff to *another* reinstall!

"Forever in debt to your priceless advice" -Nirvana "Heart Shaped Box"

Blake Harris
    Vice Dean, Limbaugh Institute for Advanced Conservative Studies

[Link Expired]

rrlyon Guest

You might take a closer look at some of the other features that tweakui has. I use it for many modifications that Windows does not have a setting to change. One is to shut off the arrow on shortcuts and the do not put the word shortcut on them, and to set default locations for many settings (that is on the General tab under special settings).

Richard
    Bellevue, WA

[Link Expired]