Thread: Has Anyone else experienced this lately?

MikeBrobst Guest

Default Has Anyone else experienced this lately?

When opening Internet explorer, they now have pop up ads with sound. I started internet explorer and was slapped in the face with a huge AT&T logo with sound yet.........Isn't there anyone left that can't be bought for a buck?
    ---Mike Brobst---
    [MARQUEE direction ="right"]
    [Link Expired]
    [/MARQUEE]
    ---Toledo, OH---

Default RE: Has Anyone else experienced this lately?

Sounds like you need. Pop up stopper from Panicware and a lil program called Ad Shield. both can be downloaded from cnet.

Mike

What version of IE do you have? I'm sticking with 5.5 myself, for the same reason I wouldn't really want WinXP--Microsoft wants too much control of you and your computer.

But actually it sounds like you've been hijacked by someone--maybe even your ISP. Get and run AdAware. Get a firewall--ZoneAlarm is free and better than most payware. A firewall will keep people OUT and keep your computer IN (i.e., you'll be alerted if something on your computer tries to "reach out and touch someone" without your knowledge). Finally, get WebWasher from Siemens (again free) and rid yourself of ads to begin with and control your cookies.

Hope you get rid of this infernal annoyance.

PaulS
    PaulS

MikeBrobst Guest

It's version 6, the one that came with "XP" ever since I've installed it wierd little things have been going on with my computer. It runs alot faster but it seems at a price I'm unaware of. whenever I restart the machine I allways see a quick flash of an explorer window "untitled" is all I can make out, then it minimizes out of site. I think that may be what it's from but finding it is going to be the fun part.
    ---Mike Brobst---
    [MARQUEE direction ="right"]
    [Link Expired]
    [/MARQUEE]
    ---Toledo, OH---

What about ads you have to chase around the screen! I exited from IE 5.5 a few minutes ago and there was an ad hiding behind it. When I tried to click the x button, it moved. I chased it around the screen for about 15 seconds before it stopped.

[Link Expired]
    Cal Rasmussen
    Beaverton, OR
    I'm an excellent speler. I jus can't type worth a damn!
    Columbia Gorge Route (15% done, The Dalles yard and dam(10
    %) in progress)
    Cal Rasmussen
    [email protected]
    Columbia Gorge Route

jerseycentral Guest

that sounds odd, even for WinXP, perhaps you have spyware? i know of spyware that will "inject" pop-up adds when you browse the internet. many freeware programs come with spyware.

http://members.aol.com/ray127611/raycnj.gif

G'day Cal,

I received a couple of emails some time back that when you went to move the cursor to an item in the email it would move away from the cursor all the time, fortunately I could click the X and close it. Here this was purposely done and a fun thing.

Here I suspect that someone has taken that a step further and did this to a pop up thing'o, with perhaps a 15 second delay before it stops, so you can close it. BUT while you chase it they hope you will read it, whereas normally if your like me, I read NO pop-up screens, they are axed and closed immeadiately I spot em. Maybe this is what happened to you. I use IE5.5 still, will stay with it, does what I want it to do.

[Link Expired]

The ATT ad happened to me a few weeks ago. Then, I got Zoan Alarm Pro. No more pop-up, pop-under, or other annoying ads of that type. It also alerts you anytime a program on your computer attempts to access the Internet.
    Just be sure to turn the Cookie Control slider off when you want to post on this forum.

SRV Ron