Thread: hail storm

Default hail storm

The fun part of living on the Great Plains, is the superb train watching opportunities. The less fun part is the severe weather. Well, last evening a swath of large hail swept across the middle of Nebraska from North of Sumner to Guide Rock. The hail stones in this storm were measured at from 4.7 to 5.5 inches in diameter. These were not soft stones, they put holes in steel siding and drove right through plastic lawn furniture, not to mention windows and roofs. The worst was a large commercial hydroponic tomatoe greenhouse in Minden that was only about a year old. It got smashed with 3-4 inch hail. I know a lot of you folks never get the opportunity to see what 5 inch hail can do, but honest, that lawn furniture did not include a potty chair yesterday morning.
    Bob

Default RE: hail storm

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-02 AT 09:51AM (EDT)[/font][p]nevermind

I sat on my back porch a few summers ago and watched the largest hailstorm I had ever seen and I was totally in awe. Mind you, this was only marble sized hail, big for here in eastern PA, so to have grapefruit sized hail rain down must be like nothing I could even imagine. It must be quite frightening to get caught out in something like that, or even be in a vehicle out in the open. I hope that some busted lawn chairs was the only loss you suffered.

Cliff

well i live next to Grand Island, Nebraska and already this summer we had at our town
    tornadoe's
    hail
    sever winds
    hail
    dangerous lightning
    floods!
    thats bout it!
    whenever there is bad weather the UP stops all traffic in that area!
    serious!

Union Pacific railorad is the the best railroad in the world!
    if we want it to stay like that we better pay tribute!
    Union Pacifc Railroad has ben around longer then any other MAJOR railroad. UP is the best MIX of all railroad stuff.

Hope everyone is okay in your household, Bob!

Highball!

John D. Peterson
    Webmaster - AlabamaRailfan.com
    http://www.alabamarailfan.com

(Insert cool logo here)

Hi John,
    All fine, I had to convince my wife that the potted plants weren't worth a headache, but no injuries. Looks like a new roof and siding, and new lawn furniture. The lawn looks pretty funny with all the little craters in it, but just part of what life brings out here on the plains.
    Thanks for the concern.
    Bob

BTW, bcdef, what is the museum on the south side of Grand Island, the restaurant on south part of town founded by the Dowds, and where is Ford dealer located? Maybe with all your connections, you could get me a cab ride someday, on a C41-8...hehe.
    Bob

LOL i am into trains not calls ( giggles! )
    the museum on the south side is called Stuhr Museum!
    even has a real railroad! but in the 80's the UP steam consolidation broke down! never got it fixed but they have another steam loco! but it belongs to a Alaska'n railroad!
    it is ment for mountains not plain excursions!
    but they are lookin for a steam loco to put on there tracks to run!

Union Pacifc Railroad has ben around longer then any other MAJOR railroad. UP is the best MIX of all railroad stuff.

I was out in Mesa Verde(sp?) last year, and there was a huge storm out to our south. It was awesome! You could see the light bolts clear as day, but you couldnt hear the thunder and there was no rain. It awesome!

Greg Marck
    Act. Maker
    [email protected]

I love waching weather aproach from afar!
    expecially at sun set in Nebraska!
    if i could i would take pics!