Thread: Frisco NEW HOPE!!!! COULD CONTINUE TO RUN EXCURSIONS IN NEBRASKA!!!

Default Frisco NEW HOPE!!!! COULD CONTINUE TO RUN EXCURSIONS IN NEBRASKA!!!

See at Grand Island Nebraska a museum by the name of Stuhr Museum has a railroad and there lookin for a steam engine to run on there rails adn well Frisco might work! might be a lil big but!
    the museums rails are standard and about 3 to 5 miles long NOT SURE BUT!
    has a chance!!!Plainsman and Me could be lucky tooo get a OPERATIONAL STEAM LOCO in Nebraska! LOL

Union Pacific railorad is the the best railroad in the world!
    if we want it to stay like that we better pay tribute!
    Union Pacifc Railroad has ben around longer then any other MAJOR railroad. UP is the best MIX of all railroad stuff.

Default RE: Frisco NEW HOPE!!!! COULD CONTINUE TO RUN EXCURSIONS IN NEBRASKA!!!

First off-- How heavy is the rail?
    Second off-- How big is their budget?

A Mountain like 1522 needs a mainline, not 3-5 miles of track.

I recall several years ago visiting to he Stuhr Museum at Grand Island, and riding behind a narrow gage 2-8-0, probably WP&Y #69. I have heard that the engine has since run out of Federal inspection time on the boiler and is out of service awaiting new flues. The Stuhr museum, or the steam enthusiasts who are active there, are engaged in fund raising to finance the repairs. I also belive the local NRHS chapter has some activity in retoring or maintaining the small rail equipment collection there.

There have also been, from time-to-time, reports that they are
    looking for a different engine. I recall that they briefly had a Hawaiian 2-4-2 plantation engine on the property, and found it too small to do the job. I also belive they acquired a standard-gage passenger car, at one time displayed in a city park at Herington KS.

The Stuhr museum trackage, at least when I visited a decade ago, was all narrow gage track, a mile long laid out with sharp curves entirely within the boundaries of a 40-acre pasture on 60-pound rail. The only standard gage track was a short segment used to display a Union Pacific 2-8-0 and a couple of cars. Unless they have acquired additional trackage, they have very little place to run a large standard gage steamer.

I wonder if what 'bcdef' is reporting is some combination of these efforts, that the Stuhr museum is considering either restarting their steam operations or is considering acquiring a larger locomotive. I might have to agree with the post by 'ssw' that Frisco 1522 is too much locomotive for this project, both because the Stuhr museum has little suitable trackage to run it and because the money required is not yet available.

There is also some slim chance that a different Frisco 1500 class will run again. Several years ago, I was involved in a project to move Frisco 1519 out of a park in Enid OK, and it is now at a local museum under going a cosmetic restoration. It looks good, but is yet a long ways from being in operable condition.

I might be interested in hearing more about the Stuhr museum and their steam project. If anyone has recent reports on their status, maybe they can post here and tell us about it.

SHEPLEY1935 Guest

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-02 AT 04:52PM (EDT)[/font][p]Dan,

First of all BCDEF is running his mouth about things of which he knows nothing! He wouldn't know narrow gauge vs standard gauge if they fell on him!

Secondly, it takes approximately $75K to $150K a year to maintain the #1522 and it is up for FRA flue renewal at the end of this year for another $150K! It is a beautiful locomotive as were all of this class! I had the good fortune to ride behind the #1522 fron Chicago to Fon Du Lac, WI and return.

Seems doubtful a small museum and steam operation can afford this locomotive!

Regards.....

Don Shepley-Chicago

PS: Good news story about #1522 in the Trains.com 6-14-02 new section! I doubt that St. Louis County would consider selling!

Hi Don.
    I'd have to agree that the Stuhr Museum would find Frisco #1522 rather large and costly for their program. They might do better to restore the UP 2-8-0 they already have. They might also want a locomotive with local relevance (like the UP or CBQ), rather than a railroad that never had track in Nebraska. Incidentally, the Stuhr Museum includes a lot more than just the small railroad collection, and I apologize to the folks in Grand Island if it sounded like I was minimizing or dismissing their efforts. That being said, we should also acknowledge that their priorities are larger than just trains, and even if they have the money they may choose to put it elsewhere rather than towards a steam locomotive.

I've been involved in a number of locomotive restorations, and think that your estimate of the annual cost is too low. I would guess that keeping an engine this size in operable condition and running it 30 days a year would cost more like $300K. Could they recover that much in ticket sales? I have to wonder. Nebraska is a 'tough sale' for attracting tourists, and the local population base in Grand Island is probably too small to support this scale of operation without significant outside marketing.

As for the credibility of 'bcdef', I've seen most of the posts and stories about having a hundred years of experience, or running a SD70 as a small child or whatever. I've seen enough to conclude that he is probably in his early teens, living in Grand Island or nearby. It could be that he hangs around the museum or has a friend that actually has some real information, but I agree that it would be prudent to get a second opinion on anything that was critical.
    Dan

SHEPLEY1935 Guest

Dan,

Based on your experience I will not question the $300K. To the best of my knowledge the 1522 has been very successful with its passenger loads when on tour. After reading your post I went back to Trains.com and reread the news item. The 1522's liability
    policy expired on April 1st and the premium for renewal doubled from $75K to $150K...thats a tuff nut to crack and was the deciding factor in removing the locomotive from active service.
    "bcdef" and his oral diahrea is like a pebble in my shoe...there is no question that I should be more tolerant but in my 45 years in the RR industry we referred to his type as "FRN's" and it was not a term of endearment!

Belated Happy Father's Day best wishes!

Don Shepley-Chicago

well why restore and loco if let it run for a few years?
    dont make sence! If they COULD get it to burn oil UP MIGHT THINK about turning it in to UP paint sheme and use it on there Excursions!

Union Pacific railorad is the the best railroad in the world!
    if we want it to stay like that we better pay tribute!
    Union Pacifc Railroad has ben around longer then any other MAJOR railroad. UP is the best MIX of all railroad stuff.

CSXfan7000 Guest

The 1522 does burn oil hot shot....

Then again, wouldn't you know this being a 137 year old engineer from the 1940's?

Also, if you had failed to note. UP doesn't allow any other steam locomotives besides theirs to operate trips over the system.

Csx Detector, No defects, Train speed 70, Total Axle count 666, Csx Detector OUT

Yep! Anyone see the comic in Railfan and Railroad where they converted it to use dilithium(warp drive)?
    I can hear it now.

"Engineer Set course Ft. Worth mark 2 at warp 9"
    "Course laid in, sir"
    "engage!"