Thread: jm1941: digital cameras

Default jm1941: digital cameras

Jim,

Saw where you were asking about digital cameras. You may want to try these sites: www.steves-digicams.com and www.dpreviews.com. Both sites review digital cameras very thoroughly and technically.

I purchased an Olympus C2100 for Christmas. It is 2.1 mega pixels with a 10X zoom lens. It uses AA size batteries (Nickel Metal Hydride Rechargeable or regular AA) and a generic Smart Card. Non of the proprietary Sony No Baloney batteries and memory sticks!

It is great camera!

Hope this helps.

Carlyle Thompson
    Chesapeake, VA

Default RE: jm1941: digital cameras

I heartily agree with Carlyle's recommendation.

I've had the Olympus C-2100 since last Fall; excellent! And none of the 'Sony Baloney'!

This camera >optically< zooms to 380mm equivalent to a 35mm camera, and with image stabilization. Add digital zoom and it's equal to a 1000mm (!) 35mm camera lens.

~$500.USD.

John Roth
    [Link Expired]

G'day Carlyle,

Thanks for this, I never got a response when I first asked. Will check this out.
    I liked the shots that Al Krug takes with his Nikon 950 which has an OPTICAL zoom of 3x.
    If you haven't seen his great shots, here is address. http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/rrpictale.htm

[Link Expired]

Jim,

I am very familiar with Krug. He has a great site with fantastic pictures and a wealth of rr information for us wannabee's!

The 2100 should be listed on www.pricewatch.com. This is a site that has thousands of listings of computer hardware and electronic items. If you decide to purchase the 2100 ( there are other fine cameras on the market, also ) be sure that the battery charger comes with the camera. We have seen some listed for less money but the charger is not included. I am always inclined to purchase equipment that allows for aftermarket ancilliary parts such as batteries and smart cards, etc.

Carlyle

G'day Carlyle,

Small correction, it's John, (see logo below) not Jim, no matter though, I'll forgive you. :D Have done that a couple of times myself. I went and checked the sites you mentioned. Was surprised at Steve's site, 57,439,300 visitors at his site. WOW. Was interesting reading. I'm more interested in the Zoom lenses. Steve has heaps of excellent close-up shots, and I was a bit amazed at the macro differences in each camera. I've used SLR's for years, with Macro and mostly Zoom lenses. I'm told to stay away from digital zoom lenses the optical zoom is best, these type lenses I understand. I've only started to check these digital cameras out and it looks like much groundwork to be done first, as it looks to be a bit of a minefield and one could easily blow up one's precious retirement bucks big time.

Now the other site:- www.dpreviews.com is nothing to do with Cameras. It stated Showing America's Finest Interior Designers and Architects. Well I'm a bit old to be thinking of a new home, our present home we own outright, will see us into the grave. (not being morbib here, just a statement)

The www.pricewatch.com was interesting as I'm not from the U.S. I'm from Australia, that place from down under, or maybe on top, depends on one's point of view. ;-) I'm now a retired 61 year old railwayman these days, hence JM1941 (my initials and date born) The U.S. price watch was handy as I can now compare your US prices to ours, as the American Dollar roughly equals two of our dollars. Anyway thanks again for the help.

[Link Expired]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-02 AT 08:28PM (EDT)[/font][p]Hi John from Australia,
    Try Digital Photography Review:
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    for digicam reviews.
    I believe this is the site Carlyle meant in his post. What a difference an 's' makes!
    I'm still very high on the Olympus C-2100 here.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc2100uz/
    As mentioned, this camera has a 10:1 OPTICAL zoom, equivalent to a 38-380 mm zoom lens on a 35mm SLR, and it's a fine lens. It also employs image stabilization to eliminate camera shake at the instant the photo is executed, which is especially handy for tightly zoomed shots. The digital viewfinder is a major plus for those of us used to the 'wysiwyg' that a 35mm slr affords.
    A well-executed camera - seek it out and give it your own hands-on review.

John Roth
    [Link Expired]

John and John,

Thanks for finding the "S." When you get to dpreview it is a good site with excellent technical data.

jm1941, I guess when I saw the dot over the small letter j, my mind computed it as jim. Make's me wonder why I didn't remember your signature with the beautiful logo. Anyway, got it now, John.

Now here is a site with some great photos: http://212.187.14.245/rails. This is a European site with shots from all over the world listed by country. There are some very nice shots from Australia.

One other question, do you have Outback Restaurants there in Down Under or are they a US phenomonem?

Carlyle

G'day John,

Thought I'd answer both in one post.
    [font color="blue"]> I believe this is the site Carlyle meant in his post. What a difference an 's' makes![/font] It sure does, but all too easily done though.
    [font color="blue"]> I'm still very high on the Olympus C-2100 here. [/font]Well I will certainly give that a good going over, sounds like what I may be looking for. Well a good camera to start looking with. Thanks for the info from one John to another.

G'day Carlyle
    [font color="blue"]
    > jm1941, I guess when I saw the dot over the small letter j, my mind computed it as jim. [/font]Your right, never saw it like that. I can now see it in that light, guess I'm too close to my name, but I'll forgive you this time. :D I'll check out that photo site later on.
    [font color="blue"]> One other question, do you have Outback Restaurants there in Down Under or are they a US phenomonem?[/font] Well it depends what you mean here. I've never been outside of Australia, so the only outback US restaurants I've see have been in movies. Er,,, and hell that leaves a lot to be desired. Probably nothing like that at all in reality.
    Here in Oz, again there is outback, and the OUTBACK. But these days most outback service (fuel)(gas) stations have what is called a restaurant. In my car travels over South Australia this is what you see mainly. You stop for fuel on a long distant run, you can have a good feed. If no fuel station restaurant, usually the local PUB (Hotel) caters for food. Other Aussies may disagree here, but I have not travelled all over, or around Australia so cannot give overall view. I'd say every state here in Oz is not all that much different anyway. But I have lived in the so called "outback" when I was youngster, and loved it. Good memories.

[Link Expired]
    [font color="red"] This is OUTBACK, no resturants here, but has a Pub. First building on left side of main road.
    This side is the Indian - Pacific (Sydney to Perth) standard gauge railway line.[/font]
    Hope this answers your question.

[Link Expired]