Thread: A miracle for Amtrak #6

Default A miracle for Amtrak #6

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-02 AT 08:24PM (EDT)[/font][p]This morning (6/17/02) The eastbound Amtrak California Zephyr (#6), while traveling near 70 mph, struck a tractor/trailer at a grade crossing west of Omaha, NE. The tractor/trailer, a rock truck pulling a pup trailer, was was demolished, and burst into flames. The trailer remained upright on the north side of the tracks, the truck was dragged a distance and the debris scattered on the south side of the tracks. Totally miracuously, the truck driver received only moderate injuries and was up and walking around the scene when first law enforcement officials arrived. How he survived the collision is nothing short of a total miracle. The truck driver was transported to a local hospital with a few lacerations and other non-life threatening injuries. The entire Amtrak train remained upright and on the tracks. Only a few of the 200 passengers on Amtrak required medical treatment, most just needing oxygen and calmed down. The Amtrak engineer was also transported to the hospital with an injury to his knee. The front of the lead engine (#187) showed massive signs of the impact on engineers side. There was also some damage to the tracks and crossing signs on the BNSF Omaha subdivision. It took about 6 hours for crews to clean up the scene, and the lead Amtrak unit was towed from the scene by a BNSF locomotive. Amtrak continued it journey to Chicago with the remaining two locomotives. An Amtrak engineer from Iowa was called in to take the train on east.

Default RE: A miracle for Amtrak #6

WOW! I have to see a pic of this to beleave it!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-02 AT 09:17PM (EDT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-02 AT 09:03 PM (EDT)[/font]

[Link Expired]

[Link Expired]

[Link Expired]

The remains of the dump truck can be seen just above the sheriff's car...

A volunteer fireman had commented to the head end crew that it was a good move to let the passenger coaches move beyond where the wreckage and fire was. A crew memeber grinned and said it wasn't planned, she stopped where she stopped......

as if amtrak doesnt have enough **** **** to put up with

[Link Expired]
    [font size="1"](the confederate flag shown is from the Terran Confederacy, headquartered on Tarsonis in StarCraft and has no relation other than the flag to the Confederate States of America and is therefore no threat to African Americans. Should anyone feel offended consult me and I will replace it A.S.A.P.)

Just curious, that dashboard looks like a '98-99 Dodge Ram. Am I right?

Blake Harris
    Vice Dean, Limbaugh Institute for Advanced Conservative Studies

[Link Expired]

Give the man a cigar.... '98 Ram 1500 :)

McDeth Guest

I love (hate) how , when there is a train accident, such as a truck or car vs. train, the first thing that anyone who does not know jack about trains asks is if the train was blowing its horn, or the lights were working. As if the truck driver doesn't need to look before he crosses the track, and most people who are hit by trains are morons wearing headphones. That just ticks me off.

Next they'll want to invstigate to see if the train swerved to hit the vehicle. Maybe they'll call it rail rage.

I was watching CSI one night and they had a story about a train coming around a turn going about 50 mph w/ his horn blowing and struck a car, the firts thing the CSI team decided to do was see if the train was able to stop in the whole 100 yards he could see the car. It really pissed me off.

Greg Marck
    Act. Maker
    [email protected]