Thread: Winzip.log?

Default Winzip.log?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-02 AT 10:07AM (EDT)[/font][p]Is it safe to delete winzip.log? It is found in C:\
    It is taking up 10MB. Open it up with wordpad and you will see file names that you have unzipped(Lots of trainstuff). What is a .swp file? I have one of those in my windows folder which is taking up 77MB (as you can see, I am trying to get more free space for MSTS)

Default RE: Winzip.log?

The purpose of the log is to record any errors during the decompression process, for diagnostic purposes.
    If you haven't had anything to diagnose , then by all means , trash it :-)

Make a Mess!!
    I am :-)

" I do what my Rice Krispies tell me to do "
    Make a Mess

Does anyone know more stuff that I can delete? Can I delete everything inside C:\WINDOWS\temp

It doesn't do much good to delete files in the \windows\temp directory as many more will be created to take their place. Definitely DO NOT delete any files in \windows\temp with the current date.

If you use Netscape, clear the cache directory regularly. Use the Exlorer find command to find files with extensions of .bak, .zip, .sav, .old. Examine these files carefully and delete the ones no longer needed. If you download a lot of files from the file library, copy the zip files to a cd and delete them from the hard disk. This is just a start. If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0, consider converting to an NTFS filesystem and using the NTFS file compression. It is transparent to applications but saves a significant amount of space.

[Link Expired]
    Cal Rasmussen
    Beaverton, OR

Columbia Gorge Route (15% done, The Dalles yard and dam(40%) in progress)
    Cal Rasmussen
    [email protected]
    Columbia Gorge Route

Might I suggest purchasing a program called 'Window Washer' It removes all temp files and cookies, empties the recycle bin, removes those annoying tracks that lets everyone know where you've been on the net, It also has several features that I love. You can customize it to also delete your "destop trash" folder (I made that folder for stuff that I download to my desktop and install or might need later, then decide I don't OR when I'm downloading drivers for a clients computer and I have no need for them once I burn a CDR for them). It also adds "Bleach" to the wash to completely obliterate any trace of what it's getting rid of. Last check it was under $30US and available on the web. If I'm not mistaken, there's also a trial version. There are several free ware and share ware programs that do the same thing, but IMHO this is much better. Also it has "plugins" for other programs to remove recently used lists and other "junk" that programs some times make while doing what they have to do.

Here is the URL for those who want to check it out
    http://www.webroot.com/washer.htm

"And the meandering of the queen continues for another day..."