Thread: The end of the Amtrak era...... Is it realy here?

Acela7 Guest

Default The end of the Amtrak era...... Is it realy here?

After reading an article on Yahoo! Amtrak has just decided that unless it gets it's long needed funding, it will shut down ALL services, including the Acela. And all commuter services, which includes a good chunk of the heavily used MBTA in Boston. And Metrolink in California. The president of Amtrak said that by Wendsday, if congress doesn't act immeadietly, he will stop excepting passengers and move the trains to storage. So, I say, good for him! Congress has been procrastinating long enough and it's time they did something. I live along the shore in Connecticut, so an Amtrak commuter service (Shore Line East), and the Acela services run through my town. Interstate 95 which also runs through my town is currently very crouded and there are lots of accidents, I we lose the Commuter rail and Amtrak, there will be some serious problems.

-Jesse

kevarc Guest

Default RE: The end of the Amtrak era...... Is it realy here?

Have you been in a cave the last week?

Kevin Arceneaux

more like the last 5 Years....

Dude Amtrak will take a nap for a week a month or 2 although it won't die. A high percentage of goverment offcials want to keep it. They just want change Amtrak diffrently. AMtrak will not die, not with this adminstration.

Well put it this way..... in with the New and Out with the old ... if there is a Shutdown (Which seriously looks like it can't be Avoided) well if there is a Shut down it will only be more or less to "Restructure" Amtrak

Bob
    Philadelphia, Pa

As my father says-- "They'll pull the rabbit out of the hat. They always do"

Guess I better go see #22 at MCG tomorrow, though.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-02 AT 08:10PM (EDT)[/font][p]I think Washington has been taking Amtrak for granted lately and not giving them enough money. But they will see what will occur if they shut down and hopefully realize that Amtrak is important to this nation and take better care of it.

Kyle Norek

Milepost 76 on the NS Buffalo Line

I like there new presiden he might do some good things. they need to get rid of a lot of executives in Amtrak too. I also know where Amtrak has there mettings too cause when I was in washington I walked into it (in my hotel). By accident. They are usually in The Phionex Park Hotel (right next to Union Station).

The cheapskate USA government MUST help Amtrak. If they refuse to help Amtrak and Amtrak shuts down tomorrow, other railroads that share tracks with Amtrak such as New Jersey Transit will have to stop running trains on Amtrak's tracks. Jeffrey.