Thread: simple question about centerbeam cars

Default simple question about centerbeam cars

I see the center beam cars in the game and i have seen a few pix of real life, but what kind of goods do they haul? this question has been burning my brain for a while

Default RE: simple question about centerbeam cars

Centerbeam usually carry building supplies such as plywood, lumber, sheathing and other bundled materials like that. The center beam allows the car to be long and carry a lot of weight without having to use excessive reinforcment in the center sill and deck structure. The center beam works well with the standard 4 foot width of plywood and bundled lumber because the 10 foot width of the car allows for the beam and the stacked material on either side. The beam also allows the load to be well secured with straps to prevent any movement.

You have to load a center beam carefully to prevent them from becoming unstable. If one side is loaded before the other, the will be prone to tipping.

Hope that helped,

Cliff

That was very helpful, now i'll know what im hauling the next time i play the sim. thanks :)

Starlight Guest

I once remember seeing an accident caused by one of these cars.

When I lived in mississippi, someone along the CAGY had decided that unloading one side was ok...so long as you left wood there to balance the car. Well, that's partly true.

As long as the weights were the same, or the car was coupled to others...everything was fine.

Well, the crews uncoupled the cars and this one ended up at the end of the string. When they came back in the morning the car was lying on its side with wood spilled all over.

took forever to clear up.

(CAGY is short for Collumbus and Greenville Railway.)