Thread: How do you guys get those cab rides!?

Default How do you guys get those cab rides!?

Hi all~!

I was wondering: Many of you have had the oppurtunity to ride in many different loco cabs.. How do you guys do it!?!? :)

Well, I've only had the chance to be inside a couple cabs myself, and ridden one steam loco a short distance..

Do I pretty much need to have connections with the railroad (through their employees) in order to get such a great oppurtunity!? If one doesn't have connections, I'd assume they'd have to donate a heck of a large sum of money to both the railroad and the unions to get them to go through the trouble of letting a train buff (of course!) like myself on board..

It just seems that over the years railroads have tightened up their security more and more.. whether it's a lot of fencing and threats of prosecution or an increase in the presence of railway police.. (but I guess I'd have to admit that it's all there for a good cause --> safety)

But, I guess that's why there's good old MSTS and other train simulators out there~! :)

Thanks for any suggestions/answers in advance~!

BTW, a nice change we've got here.. :D (looking forward to the "additional" changes to come..)

[font color=dark red] cdntrains [font color=green][marquee scrollamount=7][Link Expired] [Link Expired] "must be trains in the blood" :) [/marquee]
    [marquee scrollamount=7 behavior=slide][font size=1] http://www.frograil.com/gifs/gifs.htm [/marquee]

Default RE: How do you guys get those cab rides!?

Have a read of all of this thread.
    [Link Expired]

[Link Expired]

I've only ever been in a engine cab twice (CN SD75I 5650 and CR SD80MAC 4105) and it wasn't moving either of the times. But, all I did too get invited up was just being trackside taking pictures and I have no connection to the railroad either. As Jerry Reed once sung, When You're Hot You're Hot, When You're not You're not ;)

Kwp Guest

cdntrains,

My experiences as far as cab rides go were many years back. It is very much harder now but not impossible. I made a post a while back and it developed into quite an interesting thread and it even generated parts 2 and 3.
    A lot of forum members responded with many worth while and interesting comments. You may have read the thread before, but if not, then by all means check it out .....

[Link Expired]

As to obtaining a ride aboard a locomotive, keep trying in a courteous, friendly and interested manner and I`m certain that eventually you will be rewarded.

Also, well done to Nels and the crew on the new look forum layout. I run my desktop at 1024x768 and it really looks great with the blue and grey,(very professional).

Keith.

Just to summarize what I have learned from all those posts and the posts here (thanks for replying)

here is what one seems to need to do in order to "get the chance":

1. Having connections to the railroad or RR museums.. (works especially well if family is linked to the RR)

2. Showing a keen interest while trackside.. (have the camera going)

3. Just being nice and friendly to crews when train watching..

4. Come across as a responsible individual.. (as I'm sure all us train fans are with a hobby like this!!)

5. Show that you are respecting the track right of way/property..

(any other things, please add..)

But yes, it sounds like the "L" word (liability) still plays a BIG part in all this!

I actually have quite a similar story to West_Coast_Railroader’s post found in the "cab rides" thread: (just bear with me..)

I was about 5, and my neighbour worked for CP Rail (a connection I USED to have.. grrrr!!) He took me to the poco yard, showed me around to all sorts of great things (locos, MOW's, cabooses, etc..) AND he even talked to a crew about me coming along with them on a short run down the line.. He said they seemed to give the "ok", but when we went to approach them they literally (!!) ran down to the front end of the train to get into the cab and leave immediately! (mind you, I was still a little kid back then.. and who knows what I could have gotten into.. even though I was REALLY responsible and conscientious..) But yes, liability and "safety issues" definately seem to be of a big concern to RR's in this day in age.. It almost seems as if they have fencing on every section of track..

But just want to clarify, I have NOTHING against CP~! It's still a great RR!! :)

[font color=dark red] cdntrains [font color=green][marquee scrollamount=9][Link Expired] [Link Expired] "must be trains in the blood" :) [/marquee]
    [marquee scrollamount=9 behavior=slide][font size=1] http://www.frograil.com/gifs/gifs.htm [/marquee]

I'm not positive about this, but if you have one of these along with you, they might even let you blow the horn....

http://www.bluenorthernsoftware.com/trains/dearabby.jpg

possibly.. that's if they want to play beachball while they're at it.. (sorry, don't mean to be crude..)

man.. that's not for me though.. that's for sure!! (yuck!?) (no more comments on here for me.... haha)

ok enough of that!

anything else that one could do!?

[font color=dark red] cdntrains [font color=green][marquee scrollamount=3][Link Expired]3cec217553a3b730.gif [Link Expired] "must be trains in the blood" :) [/marquee]
    [marquee scrollamount=3 behavior=slide][font size=1] http://www.frograil.com/gifs/gifs.htm [/marquee]

csx_freak Guest

ive riddin and drove a sw1500 years ago when i was a kid .i think the reason y i got to was id chace them up the road beggin for a ride :)

csx_freak Guest

*chase even

haha!! sounds like "cheating" the "L"-word..

They'd rather stick you in the cab than risk running you over!! haha.. There's another one we can add.. :)

[font color=dark red] cdntrains [font color=green][marquee scrollamount=4] [Link Expired] "must be trains in the blood" :) [/marquee]
    [marquee scrollamount=4 behavior=slide][font size=1] http://www.frograil.com/gifs/gifs.htm [/marquee]