Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add-ons ratings sytem

TheToolman Guest

Default Add-ons ratings sytem

Is there a system of rating the downloads here, so that I can vote for how good/bad I think a download is? If not then can I suggest that it be put in!

I want to be able to rate a file from 0 to 5 in increments of a half, i.e. 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, ..., 4.5, 5 :-)

Your thoughts would be appreciated. :-)

Sincere thanks,
    The Toolman

Default RE: Add-ons ratings sytem

You can try using the new Poll feature. Generate your own polls...
    [Link Expired]
    John Roth
    [Link Expired]

I think your idea is worth 0.5.
    What value is it as each download only attracts the people interested in it and a rating by one person is totally irrelevant to someone else.
    I download what I want..not based on what other people think....
    Georges from London.

A crude method might be to look at the download counts. Also look at top downloads from previous day. These are not necessarily indicators of how good something is, but rather how popular it is or how much demand there is for it.

A rating system might be good but I am not sure how you would go about it. It might be difficult to separate objective from subjective. If you have a system you think might work, why don't you propose it?

[Link Expired]
    Cal Rasmussen
    Beaverton, OR

Columbia Gorge Route (15% done, The Dalles yard and dam(60%) in progress)

Cal Rasmussen
    [email protected]
    Columbia Gorge Route

TheToolman Guest

DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) has a system whereby people can rate things they download. I have never yet actually seen a rating for any download I've looked for one for. I thought that as this is a site specifically for downloads of a particular kind, and is popular, it might be more useful for people who have downloaded a particular file to give some feedback.

This would be more useful than simply looking at the number of downloads for example, as it gives no indication of how long the file has been available - the number of downloads is sure to clock up over time, whether the file is any good or not. Secondly, downloading a file sort of counts as a vote in terms of the number of downloads, but if you then don't like it there's no way to withdraw your vote or give any feedback at all.

You say you don't download based on what other people think. Well that's fair enough. But two people could make models of similar things, from completely different ways of approaching it, and come up with very different TrainSim models. A ratings system would allow me to give feedback on both, which could help other people decide which file to download if they want a model of a particular thing.

So you give the idea a 0.5 out of 5? Well I would ask you whether that is objective or subjective? But perhaps that's a good point - ratings could not be guaranteed to be objective or fair. It was just a thought. Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,
    The Toolman

MarlboroMan Guest

Some people who develop content might not care if their work isn't up to par with TA or NALW, but they are nice enough to share their work.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Someone unknown person/team might develop an AEM-7 that to some is total piece of garbage due to inaccuracies, but to someone who has been waiting to put an AEM-7 on their screen, it might just be enough to keep them happy for awhile.

Maybe later, a better one gets produced... maybe not.

Download everything... toss what "you" don't like... :-)

Only "you" can decide...

TheToolman Guest

Default Correction

Actually I think the file list DOES tell you how long a file has been available, which you could take into account when comparing the number of downloads. My mistake. :-D

Sincerely,
    The Toolman

You are exactly right Georges. This is a bad idea that should not happen. This is a sure way to loose quality people. Someone invests 2 or 3 weekends on a project, just to have an ungrateful person give it a 1.6, would not be a compelling reason to do another. What if the rating person just did not like C&NW or wanted it in the 1982 livery? The rating will not likely be meaningful unless you get hundreds of responses, by then you should have already been enjoying it! Don't discourage people who are learning and trying. This is a really bad idea!!!
    BTW, I notice you are relatively new to the community. Stick around a while, and you will easily see who does quality work. The posts on the forum will give you plenty of feedback when something exceptional is produced.
    Bob

Good point Georges !!!

Jens-Chris

[hr]
    16 years old, from Germany, MSTS 3D Add-on maker and repainter

---- Jens-Chris ----
    [Link Expired]
    -- "Power for You" --

I've always felt that an accurate description of the file will let you know if you want it or not. Voting can easily get skewed unless you have a very large number of people voting and most of them are willing to place meaningful votes. Which means work, since you need to download and try something and only then remember to come back and vote for it.

Now if only more uploaders would help with the accurate file description part...I see way too many uploads with descriptions that go something like this:

Locomotve ... for Microsof Trane Stimulator ... dun by JoeX

I'm not really exagerating here either! Designers will put hours into 3D layout, painting, etc. but just won't spend 10 minutes writing a thorough description of exactly what it is they've created. That is something I just don't get :-(