Thread: CONRAIL Question

I_totally_love_trains Guest

Default CONRAIL Question

Do CONRAIL locos have two cab seats in front? The reason I ask this is a train passed by me the other day when I was sitting watching them go through, the loco was a helper and two guys were sitting in the loco, one on each side.

Also why does CSX let the faster (Amtrak) trains past by Norfolk Southern and CONRAIL will just keep driving their freights and holding Amtrak up longer and longer?

Adam

Ihavenoclue Guest

Default RE: CONRAIL Question

All the locos are equipped w/ 2 more seats in the front(one for the conductor and one for the engineer)

CSX(as well as most other RR's) give THEIR trains proitoty(sp?) over the Amtrak trains b/c the Amtrak trains dont make a profit for the friegt RR's.

BTW, Conrail was taken over a couple of years ago by NS and CSX

Hope that helps!

All locmotives have two seats in the cabs -- one for the engineer, one for the conductor.

Years ago, many mainline locomotives actually had THREE seats...one for the engineer, one for the fireman and one for the head-end brakeman.

Now if you're wondering about EMU types, most of those have one seat only, and it usually folded up so the "motorman" (engineer/driver) would stand while operating such equipment -- particularly on subway/elevated trains, but also on many of the commuter roads such as the Long Island Rail Road.

All freight locos have 3 seats.There are times when there is a brakeman on the job.Most of the time the brakeman will take to the second loco as it is very tight in the locos as far as getting comfortable especially in the older locos.As far as Amtrak is concerned most freight railways will give Amtrak the right of way least they be penalized big money.At the NS which I work for I was told the fine could be as high as 10 grand.I know from experience that delaying Amtrak can be costly because I served a 15 day suspended sentence for doing just the same.There are times when some freights do have priority such as some pig trains and the juice train.

Well they don't carry cattle or juice around my area Claude. Thanks for answering all of my questions men and/or women.

I also already knew that CONRAIL merged with Norfolk Southern.

Adam

Ok.But I don't believe that cattle will fall into that category(hehehe).Sure would be nice to have that steak on time every now and then.:)

Don't forget that little metal seat down there in the nose that gets REALLY cold in the winter time.....it's how I learned to "hover"

;)

It seems like we got a lot of train engineers here ehhhh. :) Good cause I got plenty of questions for ya to answer if you would ;)

So one of you engineers in a diesel freight locomotive and in MSTS I know there's notches in the throttle in real life. Can you set the train at one specific speed and lock the throttle there so it won't go above or below that speed or do you have to keep your hand on the throttle and hold it there?

Adam