Thread: caboose question

Default caboose question

Is there a type of caboose with both bay windows and a cupola?

Default RE: caboose question

Bradhig
    Don't take this as gospel but IIRC White Pass & Yukon,MKT and or Mo Pac might have had the dual bay/cupola hacks,Might be off on the roads but I could swear I came across pics of such a critter.

The Penn Central took a handfull of cabins, covered the cupola windows, and added bay windows. I think they used the cupolas for water tanks but I could be wrong. They also had a few ex-Santa Fe cabooses that they shortened the cupola and added bay windows.

Joe

I think they were ex-NYC/PC and some made it into Conrail too...... CNW had some as well......ex-CGW. A few are still kicking around in MOW for a number of roads. They were really strange looking. Someday I hope to build a model of one.....but thats still a way off.

CG
    CG

Chosen
    Just FYI, those NE style CGW hacks were converted by the CGW(IIRC some sort of experiment or damage repair(shameless plug time I've got a set of the stock Pullman Standard CGW NE hacks in the file library)prior to getting borged by the C&NW.
    If the PC conversions were similar to the CGW hacks then those were ex NH (NH,B&M,NKP,Clinchfield and CGW I think were the only roads with that particular style)and technically I don't think the CGW conversions count for Bradhig's question as CGW completly removed the cupola can't say for the PC conversions though