Thread: Night "Streaking" Photo...Thanks for the tips

Default RE: Night "Streaking" Photo...Thanks for the tips

IMO, the ambient light is too bright for a streaking light shot. Try it in a darker place and I believe you'll have better luck getting the streaking light effect that you want. It is OK for the first shot, but keep working on it! :)

Nice shot!
    Very similar to one I pulled off in Bensenville IL just after the SOO borged the MILW, got a Metra train with the gate shot as well as a number of airliners coming in and out of O'Hare(just north of B-ville)

Thanks Gary
    Sounds like quite a shot! What kind of effect did the airliners add to the shot? I've never seen them included in any type of railroad night shot.

I was up in the country on the outskirts of a small town, luckily the motorists were kind enough to hold back, and not pull right up to the gates:)
    Rob

Rob
    That close to O'Hare it's hard not to get an airliner in shot unfortunately those days are long gone,the former MILW hump yard is a shadow of itself,the hump was leveled as CP turned it into a flat yard,years ago(about a year or so after officailly absorbing SOO)they put up cyclone fencing with slatting in the fence to prevent photos then completely leveled the engine house and built a new facility on the north side of the yard well,well away from public view( humorously that new facility stands to meet up with the bulldozer as the new location sits right in the way of Mayor Daley's O'Hare expansion land grab), MILW and SOO were very welcoming as long as you stayed out of the yard proper, CP actually went out of the way( spending millions to relocate a perfectly servicable major repar facility)to give railfans a big middle finger,this was pre 9/11 so terror threat was not the reason.

Been a while since I dug that photo out but IIRC you had the streaks of the landing lights and the nav lights, still a neat effect.

Here’s a nifty 35mm trick I used to do when I was a kid, about a thousand years ago.

Load your camera with a fresh canister of film, mark a starting point on the film before you close the back. A grease or marker pen line at the edge of the spool, or some other obvious place that you will remember.

On a nice clear night, with a full moon, shoot a roll of moons. Keep the moon in the upper right or left corner of the frame. Or both, the first 18 in the right and the other 18 in the left. Rewind the film, being careful not to rewind the leader back into the canister. Put the film in the fridge till your ready to use it.

Then some evening when the mood strikes, reload your 'moons' film, align the starting marker on the film to the spot that you remember, then go out and photograph your favorite ‘stuff’. Remembering not to let anything fill the upper right or left corners of the frame (depending on where you placed you moons).

End result…, photos of all your favorite stuff with a nice full moon in every picture.

Enjoy!!

Have a sparkling day,
    Bob

[SIGPIC]https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic56455_1.gif/[SIGPIC]

I see no gratuitous nudity...I am disappointed.

http://sgair.net/erick/SIGS/CP_BANNER.JPG

[font size=1]"The F59PHI and Genesis are the lamest excuses for locomotives Amtrak has ever operated - accept it and move on. Hug an F40 before it's too late!"[/font]

Default Night "Streaking" Photo...Thanks for the tips

Thanks to those that pointed me in the right direction. I have wanted to get this effect for a long time. Not too bad for a first time.....

Pic was of 5 NS SD 80's at Cresson Pa. I was staying at the Station Inn, and since I didn't have a tripod, I put the camera on the porch wood rail, aimed it, and waited till the right moment.

Thanks again.

geekman Guest

Hi Chris,

Looking good, my friend. For not having a tripod that picture is exceptionally clear and sharp. Not bad at all for the first ones you tried.

While the streak effect is nice, I've always liked the soft glow of long exposure night shots like the one below. I have no idea where I got this, it might have been from here, but it's one of my favorite train pictures.

Anyway, take care and keep practicing!!

Nice shot Chris! Here is my latest attempt at a night shot.

I've been wanting to do this effect for a while, but finnaly got a shot with CN 102 with the 2612 leading at Brechin East Ontario.
    Rob

I've gone out shooting at night a few times. Took pics of rolling stock mostly. Only was lucky enough to get one 'streaking' train while set up. Photo below is the result.

There was a CP Tech train going by my house few weeks ago, so I went out and waited for it to go by. It was totally dark where I was situated and no light at all, so I mainly had to guess where to point the camera. The shot has a cool effect, with all the lights from a tech train, but I didn't expose it long enough to get the outlines of the background. Practice Makes perfect.