Thread: Household Items?

Default Household Items?

Can anyone give me some ideas on old household items that I can use on a model railroad? I have found that old batteries painted gray are an interesting freight car load and that detailing 6 to 8 Pringles chip cans and painting them make good looking concrete bins for a grain elevator. Does anyone have ideas like this?

Default RE: Household Items?

When I was a kid, I had a rather simple layout. One day I wanted to add some buildings to give it a big city feel in one corner, so I took boxes out of the pantry, like long thin spagetti boxes, cereal boxes, whatever, and painted them. It looked pretty cool back then, course I was only 10 or 11, but it filled in the display nicely. I am sure with a bit more effort and detail, the same effect could be made today. The only problem bac kthen was that the boxes were new, and it made for some rather intresting dinners as my mom slowly imploded my new city playing "guess what this is".

Ive done that a couple times.

Be careful about old D, C, AA and AAA batteries. The same process that generates electricity corrodes the caseing away. Most of them will eventually leak.

PVC Pipe Couplings and end caps make nice water towers and tanks for chemical plants.

Heavy duty aluminum foil pressed into bolt threads looks like corregated drain pipes. Good for the ends of "drainage" across your right of way.

The plastic spreaders that come in those single serving cheese & cracker packs would make nice retaining wall panels when covered with a bit of the appropriate color paint.

Cut sections of plastic drinking straws or coffee stirers as pipe loads.

Cut centers of round toothpicks as fence posts. Flat toothpicks as picket fence boards, could even use round shape of blunt end as top of pickets.

Window screen cut at an angle as HO chain link fence. Use scrap material from stuff like bridal veils or ballet tutus for N.

Broken edges of panels from those drop in ceiling panels stacked up to look like layered rocks. Make sure the panels don't contain asbestos.