Thread: Passenger Car Enthusiasts may like this...

Default Passenger Car Enthusiasts may like this...

Yesterday I went down to San Antonio to help a guy clear out and get a baggage car he bought ready to make the trip to Austin...The shop we went to was the old Southern Pacific engine shops down @ the UP Yard...it was a pretty interesting trip to say the least. Anyways, to make a long story short, they had several old CB&Q Dome cars that were used on the original California Zephyr..but where in Via Rail livery...they also had a KCS observation car that they were refurbishing, but the most interesting of the cars there was the observation car they were refurbishing for the President's campaign...w/ out going into detail about what it had on it (for National Security purposes of course) They were doing some extensive work to it and i was able to take a self guided tour of the car..

Bradley, this is for you..the 442 of the Austin and Central Texas was sitting down there, also the ASTA is looking to creating a rolling muesem train...which was the reason for purchasing that old SP baggage/express car...

I just thought i'd share this little experience w/ ya'll, wish i woulda thought about bringing my camera w/ me...but i didn't
    --BNSF Conductor--

Default RE: Passenger Car Enthusiasts may like this...

WOW, so the ASTA bought the car you was cleaning out? That did sound like a awsome experience, that for sharing.

PS: I haven't kept up with the ASTA, how are they doing with the 786?

Sort of Brian..the car is in the hands of the same guy who owns the Missouri Pacific "Eagle Cliff" sleeper/lounge.

As far as the 786 is concerned..last word that i've heard is that the cylinder saddle is in Steamtown to be recast..but i wouldn't qoute me...the ASTA has said summer of 2005 but most members aren't so optimistic...

They have been talkin about running a train all the way up to Llano..but as of right now, i'm not sure about the plans on that run...

It was an interesting experience...i forgot to mention earlier that there was a heavyweight Pennsylvania car that was in beautiful condition...i believe the guy who runs this shop worked w/ the Texas Southern when they were running those F units down on the Texas Coast...but i'm not 100% on that...i'll try to keep you informed on the ASTA or visit www.austinsteamtrain.org
    --BNSF Conductor--

Bush may have his own private car, but Kerry has his own locomotive! Ok, it's still Amtrak's, but the paint (wrap?) is kinda spiffy.

[http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=72491]

Oh, and if the president is on a train, does that train get a special name? :) (Like Airforce 1 and Marines 1)

In '92, Bush the First's CSX train was referred to by Secret Service and dispatchers etc as "POTUS" for President of the United States.

Still have my Trains magazine with that article in it somewhere. There was a "secret" train ahead of and behind the President's train, full of SS agents.

Alligator is down there for re-wheeling. I understand they've been looking for some journals for it.

anyone know what the consist is for the Kerry Train? news only showed the rear end of the rear car, looked like it may have been MKT 403 and/or Georgia 300

something like that..i don't remember..but they said it may be over a month before the 442 is done..
    --BNSF Conductor--

Geeze.. It's been down there for going on 5 months now.