Thread: Can anyone identify this engine?

Default Can anyone identify this engine?

Sorry, no pics for it, but I went to florida for a bit and saw some things that I can't figure out. Two CSX engines to be exact.

First, I saw a really beat up SD40-2 (labled for that of all things) with the words "Spirit of 76 Unit" (or something similar) in cursive script below the number.

The second, i suspect was a Slug with a view, but what's odd was it was leading the train.

The engine, painted a monochromatic Grey color, had no fans or exhaust, and looked like your usual GP38. CSX was labled in large letters on the side. It, and a second 4 axle unit, were pulling about 8 cars, at a rather high speed heading out of the Jacksonville yard.

NW 1218 Guest

Default RE: Can anyone identify this engine?

That would a slug-mother set. Those slugs are x-GP35s and x-GP30s. The prime-mover was taken out and the traction motors were left.

I think CSX calls them "Road Motors" and the cabs are still operable and the Traction Motors are wired into the "Mother Unit's" Prime mover... It allows them to run slower, longer at higher Amperages-Load than normal... IIRC DC traction systems are usually only capable of applying part of the Prime Mover's power at lower speeds and usually derate to a lower HP rating or in "Olden Days" only ran at those settings for severely limited times....
    These would normally be used in Drag service....

Chuck Schneider
    Chief Cook, Bottle Washer and (Virtual) CEO
    [Link Expired]
    Chuck Schneider
    Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (Virtual CEO)
    North American (Virtual) Locomotive Works

Yeah, it struck me as being rather strange, and made me wish I had my camera with me.

Other things worth noting that I saw were:

A full train of Herzog ballast cars (complete with automatic loading devices) *least that's what the MOW guy I talked to said the little reflecter type object on the top was.*

A near mint condition Frisco reefer. (diesel of course)

A Up SD70Mac? (I think) with over half its doors open and a really nasty bang emitting from its hood every few minutes as it sat idling.

An old GP unit (unsure of type) still wearing Chessie colors.

several freight cars labled for fallen flags. Most notable (and rare) being:

Southern, (with the green light in the O)
    Frisco,
    Louisville and Nashville,
    Mil Road. (can't spell it sorry.)

And a small handfull of Southern Pacific box cars that had been repainted with some obscure HLCX or something just above their numbers.

Oh, as for engines, I watched a couple FURX and CEFX lease engines (most wearing BN White and Green) rumble past.

>A Up SD70Mac? (I think) with over half its doors open and a
    >really nasty bang emitting from its hood every few minutes
    >as it sat idling.

That would have been a SD70M...not a SD70MAC. CSX, ARR and BNSF were the only buyers of the big MAC's! :)

>Mike Forster<
    Perth, Western Australia

[email protected]
    [Link Expired]

http://www.trainweb.org/aussiepix

Cool.

The house my uncle owns is just off the mainline (maybe 100 feet or less) so I get to sit and watch all the trains pass by. Plus, it's about 100 yards from a siding, so sometimes they have to slow down to stop.

As a side note, thinking back, I've only seen 1 train of tropicana cars (orange juice I suppose), and then it was heading toward Orlandao...