Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused on types of processor

Default Confused on types of processor

In spite of the very courteous and pleasing wanting to help nature of sales, Customer care, and even technical Of Dell's relocated service centres from Europe to India, I am unable to understand the answer to my question over standard phone lines; therefore, I would like an answer to my question:

Given that Train-simulator is a predisposing factor in my choice, What is the difference between Dell's M60 premier laptop which sports the Pentium 4 Mobile "M" centrino 755 at 1.7 to 2.0 Gigahertz (2MB L2 cache, 400 MHZ FSB)

and Dell's Inspiron 9100 which sports the desktop version Pentium 4 processor 538 with HT (hyperthreading) at 3 to 3.20 gigahertz (1 MB L" cache 800 MHz FSB). Both have 1 to MB Ram and 128 megabyte video cards, but are different: the M60 nVidia Quadro FXGo700, and the Inspiron 9100 ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700

Mike [Link Expired]

Sinclair97

Default RE: Confused on types of processor

sinclair97,

This link should answer some of your questions. I would also wait until the ATI Mobility 9800 video card is available before I purchased a laptop. Dothan looks to be one impressive mobile CPU, hereís the link-

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2129

Pentium4/3.4GHz
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe/Rev 2
    Mushkin PC3500 Black Level II/1024 Mb
    ATI X800XT Platinum
    Audigy2 ZS Platinum
    2x WD Raptors/RAID 0
    Plextor Premium CD-RW
    Plextor PX-708A DVD-R
    SilenX 520 Watt Power Supply
    Coolermaster Praetorian Case

Hi Dan, (You can call me Mike if you prefer)

Thanks for that info, and as informative and as interesting as it was didn't tell me what I really wanted to know: which is the fastest and best dude for the job?

Let me rephrase the issue here: I use laptops as desktops: that's to say "power consumption" is not issue as I always have my laptop plugged into the mains.

BTW in your specs you don't state whether your P4 is HT, nor do you state the size of your video card.

Mike :)
    Sinclair97

Mike the P4 is generally faster for gaming then the Centrino...
    Note that you can't go by speeds as the Centrino does more per cycle than the P4 does... It should have a PR rating like the Athlon does but Intel would commit Hari-Kari 1st... :-)

Also with Dell, an excellent choice for the average user BTW, you are only going to be presented with Intel choices as Michael Dell has too much invested in Intel technology to offer alternatives...
    There are many respected "experts" who feel that the AMD CPUs clock for Clock are much better at gaming than the Intel ones... And Hyper threading will probably not help a whole heck of a lot on MSTS as the program itself is not optimized for it. A single very fast processor thread is usually better for MSTS. Ergo an AMD64 (LOL!)

However FWIW Gaming on a laptop is usually not the best way to go if you have another choice...
    Laptops are optimized for weight and power savings and as such compromise on Bus and Drive speeds...
    The P4 will usually be faster, as Intel is very careful to minimize the overlap between them, if you go to near the top of the food chain. But, IIRC, the battery life will be significantly less than with a Centrino. All other things being equal.

Typically the Drives are 5400 rpm with a slower but more efficient actuator (means slower access times) and multiple power saving schemes built in....
    All of which can adversely effect performance...

Currently the ultimate MSTS machines, based on benchmark results reported on here and other fora, are AMD 64s (with the FX53 being the current king of the mountain), 7200rpm drives in a striped raid array and top of the line 256mb ATI or NVidia Graphics cards...

Based on the results some other folks on here have reported with Large Dell, almost server class, desktops it would appear that the striped raid arrays are more significant in reducing the stutters than having an ultimate CPU... Either AMD or Intel!

Chuck Schneider
    Chief Cook, Bottle Washer and (Virtual) CEO
    [Link Expired]
    Chuck Schneider
    Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (Virtual CEO)
    North American (Virtual) Locomotive Works

chucksc,

ďit would appear that the striped raid arrays are more significant in reducing the stutters than having an ultimate CPU... Either AMD or Intel!Ē

Yes, to significantly reduce the tile loading stutters in MSTS it is best to use two fast drives in a RAID 0 configuration. Frame rates are however dependent on the CPU not the hard drive. Even if you have two fast hard drives you are still going to see poor frame rates with a weak CPU.

I am currently using two 10,000 RPM hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration and I still see the occasional hard drive stutter. None of the other applications I run on this machine cause even the slightest hard drive stutter (FS2004, TRS2004). This is due to MSTSís poor way of managing system resources.

Pentium4/3.4GHz
    ATI X800XT Platinum
    Audigy2 ZS Platinum
    2x WD Raptors/RAID 0
    Plextor Premium CD-RW
    Plextor PX-708A DVD-R

Dan,

You still didn't say what MB capacity your vidio card has.

Chuck,
    Thanks for the info. Oddly enough Dell are still advertising 256 MB NVidia video cards as upgrades for the Inspiron 9100 laptop, but when I enquired at Dell (India), I was told that it has been withdrawn on account that the memory of the computer or something, something wasn't right (the rest was garbled apart from would you please give me your credit card number).

Mike :)
    Sinclair97

Mike,

My video card is the ATI X800XT Platinum (256 Mb). 128 Mb is the highest out there right now for laptop video cards. I think you will see 256 Mb laptop video cards by the four quarter of 2004 with new releases from ATI and Nvidia.

Pentium4/3.4GHz
    ATI X800XT Platinum
    Audigy2 ZS Platinum
    2x WD Raptors/RAID 0
    Plextor Premium CD-RW
    Plextor PX-708A DVD-R

Dan,

I understand about needing a fast CPU for frame rates but was trying to make the point that you could step one level back from the Fastest and Most Expensive CPU and put the money into the raid array for similar or better results....

AMD/ATHLON64-3400 (retail "chip in the box")
    Gigabyte GA-K8VT800M (socket 754 Via Chipset)
    1GB (2x512 pieces) Crucial PC3200 (DDR400) Memory
    Ledtek A380 (NVidia Geforce FX 5950) Video Card (256mb)
    2 x WD Caviar SE (8mb cache) 120 gb drives (Raid 0)
    Audigy 2 sound card
    500w Allied PS
    And enough fans to float the case (;-))

And I probably paid less than you did! LOL!

BTW I knew a Skip Toth for years...
    Have you ever had family out here in the DC area???

Chuck Schneider
    Chief Cook, Bottle Washer and (Virtual) CEO
    [Link Expired]
    Chuck Schneider
    Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (Virtual CEO)
    North American (Virtual) Locomotive Works

Chuck,

Yes, I agree hard drive performance is important with MSTS. With MSTS being as dated as it is, (I actually read somewhere that the graphicís engine dates back to 1998), I think itís crazy to spec out a new machine with only MSTS in mind. A perfect example of what a decent graphics engine can mean to a train simulator (game) is TRS2004. Yes TRS2004 leaves a lot to be desired to say the least as it is very toy like, but the graphics engine is a lot better than what we have with MSTS. TMTS promises to remedy these problems with an even better graphics engine. From what I have seen it will not be so dependent on hard drive performance like MSTS.

How do you like that Althon64 3400+, those AMD Athlon64 CPUís are really impressive. Right now Iíd have to give your 3400+ the best bang for the buck award. When its released, I plan on building a new system in the coming months based around one of new socket 939 FX-55 CPUís. I have not decided yet on whether to go with the new Nvidia nForce3 250 Ultra or the Via K8T800 Pro chipset.

By the way I only have family right now in NY and Mass. The funny thing is that when I lived in the Midwest my last name was more common than it is here in the east.

-Dan

Pentium4/3.4GHz
    ATI X800XT Platinum
    Audigy2 ZS Platinum
    2x WD Raptors/RAID 0
    Plextor Premium CD-RW
    Plextor PX-708A DVD-R

>Mike,
    >
    >My video card is the ATI X800XT Platinum (256 Mb). 128 Mb
    >is the highest out there right now for laptop video cards.
    >I think you will see 256 Mb laptop video cards by the four
    >quarter of 2004 with new releases from ATI and Nvidia.

Actually Dan, the 256mb mobile cards have been out for sometime. I'm using one right now on my laptop. www.pctorque.com is one of the sites that sells laptops using the M11. Or www.sagernotebooks.com

Mike, you can also look into the Alienware laptops as those laptops have upgradeable video cards, meaning that you will beable to put in a new video card when one is developed. Although they can take a chunk from your bank account, I just thought I would give some insight on it.