Thread: Jackson, MI area

Default Jackson, MI area

Anyone from around the Jackson, Michigan area? Last June, we stayed in Jackson for the NASCAR race weekend. On our way to the racetrack, the road runs along a railroad track. We've gone to NASCAR races for the last 2 years and we get a new Michigan atlas, Delorme I believe. I found the branchline from Conrail ( or Norfolk Southern) on the map and the map says it's abandoned.. No weeds, nicely maintained, and showed some signs of use. The branch runs along Route 50. I hope someone knows which branch I'm talking about. Also, which railroad runs through the town of Tecumseh? The line runs about 4 ft. near buildings and was severly overgrown. Can someone please spread some light on this perticular area of railroading?

Default RE: Jackson, MI area

The Jackson branch you are talking about runs between the town and the yard, if you tak US127 towards MIS you will cross over the yard, there is also a Steelworks where M50 crosses 127, you have to cross this crossing when going onto 127 as well.

The one in Tecumseh is a tourist RR they run trips with a switcher and modified Gondola on weekends, apart from that I don't really know much more than that, I am sure someone will have more info somewhere.

I hope this helps.

Tim

But is that branch still in use? And, that big grey building, visiable from 50 is a steelworks? Thanks for the info. I also made a model layout based on that branch.

I could be wrong but I think the line you are talking about goes all the way up north to Lansing Michigan and is now owned by Norfolk Southern, I do know that it runs south out of lansing and crosses the CN/Ex-GTW Flint Subdivision, and it does look it hasint been used in a while, but NS runs a small line to the Ford or GM Plants cant remember which one, which is NS's Saginaw Subdivision, but there is a NS line that look has if it hasint been used in a long time that runs south twords Jackson but I not 100% sure if its the same one you are talking about, I hope this helps some.
    Intel i5 6600K 3.5Ghz / GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 / Hyper X Fury 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram / Samsung 850 500GB SSD / Gigabyte GTX 1070 8GB / Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO / CX750M 750 Watt / Windows 10 64 Bit

Benjamin,

yes That one runs to Lansing but crosses under I94 and rund North-south, this one runs East West, I do know it comes from the yard and there are several industrial sidings there too, I might slide out later and get some pics of the Business end of the line you are talking about since the crossing is only about 3/4 mile away from me, i have seen a couple of Geeps messing around down there and all the road crossings are operational, there are only short workings up and down to the yard though, the yard joins the main line somewhere up by Jackson station (which in itself is a nice building - oldest station in Michigan)

The line runs through to battle creek Kalamazoo, I'll see if I can find some maps.

Tim

Im lost! The line I was talking about goes south from Jackson. It ends somewhere after passing through Cement City. Off M50 south i notice the route goes through many bussinesses' front yards. I find that kind of unusual. Like a cement plant and some small industries. The only business I've seen with a siding on that little branch is a lumberyard, right after M50 peels off US 127 and heads twards MIS. Although, that hudge scrap mill may have a siding. I couldn't tell. I saw a train of coil cars (Very Short) in 2002. But you did say that some Geeps mess around on that line? The only other thing I know about this perticular branch is that it was built around 1919. That's what this concrete bridge, visiable from M50, has engraved on it.